British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   British treats - Sobeys (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/british-treats-sobeys-857394/)

BristolUK Apr 30th 2015 9:00 am

British treats - Sobeys

In the international aisle of one of the Sobeys here today, they had a similar selection of the stuff available at Bulk Barn and Walmart.

Walnut Whips, Wispa (bars and biscuits), Galaxy, Flake, Branston Pickle, proper Pickled Onions (not the tiddler things), Rich Tea Biscuits, Yorkie Bars, Club Biscuits (when will they ever get something other than orange ones?) Roses Marmalade etc

sharkus Apr 30th 2015 9:15 am

Re: British treats - Sobeys

mmm, orange club

haggis88 Apr 30th 2015 9:25 am

Won't get excited til there's McVities Gold Biscuits on the shelf!

Do love Ambroisa Devon custard though...yum!

scrubbedexpat133 Apr 30th 2015 9:55 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11633678)
In the international aisle of one of the Sobeys here today, they had a similar selection of the stuff available at Bulk Barn and Walmart.

Walnut Whips, Wispa (bars and biscuits), Galaxy, Flake, Branston Pickle, proper Pickled Onions (not the tiddler things), Rich Tea Biscuits, Yorkie Bars, Club Biscuits (when will they ever get something other than orange ones?) Roses Marmalade etc

I got English Mustard from the one by the train station :thumbsup:

rivingtonpike Apr 30th 2015 11:17 am

I bought HP Sauce from Superstore yesterday, but they don't have an "English" section as such, just random stuff.

SchnookoLoly Apr 30th 2015 2:44 pm

The Fortinos here has good stuff as well - I found salad cream today!

scilly Apr 30th 2015 2:49 pm

Our Safeway used to be very good for "English" foods .............. eg, Branston Pickle, Heinz Salad Cream English Dressing and Sharwood's Chutneys. The first 2 are about the only English things we insist on buying. They also used to carry Rose's Lime marmalade

But Safeway were taken over by Sobeys last year ............ and they don't seem to have Branston Pickle on their shelves now. I'm hoping they will re-stock with it before the summer comes ............. I love it with cold meats.

BC has a small chain called London Drugs that also sells food and many other items, I buy Nairn's Oat Cakes there, and I have also noticed other English items on their food shelves

Siouxie Apr 30th 2015 6:12 pm

Walmarts now sell Chocolate Hobnobs - but only online (I haven't found them in-store).

:D

BristolUK Apr 30th 2015 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11633944)
Walmarts now sell Chocolate Hobnobs - but only online (I haven't found them in-store).

Ours has them. In fact last time I was there it was the chocolate ones only and I reckon that spoils them.

BristolUK Apr 30th 2015 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 11633688)
mmm, orange club

Everywhere I see Club it's only ever the orange ones. Why not mint?

Just checked wiki and they still make it. I see coffee flavour is discontinued having come out in the 80s. I don't remember seeing those.

Some coffee Matchmakers would be nice.

HGerchikov May 1st 2015 12:59 am

They are often in the Oakville Store. I have been working on losing weight past few months, I have found avoiding the British food section is essential as a hobnob of any variety is hard to walk past.

SchnookoLoly May 1st 2015 2:35 am

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 11634190)
They are often in the Oakville Store. I have been working on losing weight past few months, I have found avoiding the British food section is essential as a hobnob of any variety is hard to walk past.

Mental note taken on where to get them! I imported a few for Siouxie on my last UK trip! :p

I also found PG Tips at Fortinos. The packaging was a bit different than in the UK, I haven't opened it up yet to see if it tastes the same. Anyone tried it?

Howefamily May 1st 2015 2:39 am

I would still like to find coco pops, so far no cigar!

allycat231 May 1st 2015 3:30 am

I would love to get some crunchy nut cornflakes!! They sold them once at Petes in Bedford NS

colchar May 1st 2015 3:31 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11633678)
Club Biscuits (when will they ever get something other than orange ones?)

Why bother when the orange ones are a gift from heaven?

Roses Marmalade

I buy that at Walmart. I have noticed a few British items in my local Sobeys but it would be nice to be able to get more British stuff, including my lime marmalade.

BristolUK May 1st 2015 5:37 am

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 11634302)
I have noticed a few British items in my local Sobeys but it would be nice to be able to get more British stuff, including my lime marmalade.

Sobeys had Rose's Lime and Orange versions. They didn't have them there the previous time I went but that was several weeks ago so I'm not sure how "new" it is for them.

scrubbedexpat133 May 1st 2015 6:17 am

Sobeys has them here but they are in with the rest of the biscuits not the international stuff......sneaky buggers :sneaky:

I cant leave them alone once they are open!!! :rofl::thumbsup:

Juggernaut1064 May 1st 2015 6:19 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 11633878)
Our Safeway used to be very good for "English" foods .............. eg, Branston Pickle, Heinz Salad Cream English Dressing and Sharwood's Chutneys. The first 2 are about the only English things we insist on buying. They also used to carry Rose's Lime marmalade

But Safeway were taken over by Sobeys last year ............ and they don't seem to have Branston Pickle on their shelves now. I'm hoping they will re-stock with it before the summer comes ............. I love it with cold meats.

BC has a small chain called London Drugs that also sells food and many other items, I buy Nairn's Oat Cakes there, and I have also noticed other English items on their food shelves

I shop at Safeways and the Heinz Salad Cream is gone :( sandwich spread is there as is chocolate hobnobs, dark and milk tea biscuits, tetley tea, I did see lions made treacle once but that was only once lol i will check and see if all the pickles are still there next time in, They have all the different HP sauces too as well as original, might have to go to Sobeys then to get salad cream. Oh they have crumpets too, they generally go straight in the toaster when i get home lol

MillieF May 1st 2015 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064 (Post 11634446)
I shop at Safeways and the Heinz Salad Cream is gone :( sandwich spread l

Oh how I love Heinz Sandwich Spread! Haven't had it forever.:(

itsasmallworld May 1st 2015 6:47 am

If only we had a Sobeys's or Fortina's or Safeway! Still, I can get more British stuff here than I could in the Pennsylvania so I am happy! But yes I would love to scrape off the chocolate from a "Club" biscuit and I really wouldn't care if it was orange flavored. I am beginning to drool.

scrubbedexpat133 May 1st 2015 6:57 am

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11634450)

I got in a fight at school over sandwich spread.

I come from Stoke and a very poor back ground. I went to school in Bournemouth. One of the middle class chinless southern softies decided to make fun of me for only having sandwich spread on my sandwiches one day. This in itself didnt bother me but after a while he went too far with it and started to push me. So I gave him a kicking and force fed him my sandwich to the point of nearly choking him and took his ham and cheese sandwich!! He went off crying to a nearby teacher who had over heard and watched what happened, he told him that it was his own fault as he started it and was trying to bully me!!

The Teacher was from a Nottinghamshire mining town, I bumped into him a few years later in the local chippy. We were laughing about it. When I asked why I didnt get in trouble for it he smiled and replied that the chinless wonders dad was a Tory Councilor and another word beginning with a C :rofl::rofl:

Allie73 May 1st 2015 7:04 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 11633878)
........... and they don't seem to have Branston Pickle on their shelves now. I'm hoping they will re-stock with it before the summer comes ............. I love it with cold meats.

I buy Branston Pickle at Walmart.

Pizzawheel May 1st 2015 7:10 am

Didn't know walmart had Branston- thanks Allie.

Aren't coco pops called Nesquik over here? Like the milkshake in blighty?

I got some daddies sauce in the british shop in eglington square, but I'm a bit scared of going in there, a credit card massacre is always a significant risk in those places. As it was I ended up spending two quid on a tin of branston baked beans.

In the UK I had a clear preference for HP over daddies but the local HP is a bit sweet and full of that glucose corn syrup stuff. I might make imported daddies my regular treat.

colchar May 2nd 2015 4:56 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11634406)
Sobeys had Rose's Lime and Orange versions. They didn't have them there the previous time I went but that was several weeks ago so I'm not sure how "new" it is for them.

My local Sobey's doesn't have them. And, despite loving damned near everything that is orange flavoured, I don't eat orange marmalade. Not sure how that happened.

colchar May 2nd 2015 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11634492)
Aren't coco pops called Nesquik over here? Like the milkshake in blighty?

There are two similar cereals called Coco Pops and Nesquik. Nesquik is also a drink/drink mix.

In the UK I had a clear preference for HP over daddies but the local HP is a bit sweet and full of that glucose corn syrup stuff. I might make imported daddies my regular treat.

Just buy the imported HP.

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11634450)

It is available in all grocery stores here. Not sure how it would compare to the British version, but that can also be found at specialty shops.

scilly May 2nd 2015 10:03 am

Bought Branston Pickle at our Safeway yesterday.

I must check for the Salad Cream ............. we bought one from Safeway a few months ago that is still unopened (the "spare" :lol: )

Just have to remember that it might not be with the salad dressings!!!

Goodbhoy May 3rd 2015 12:49 am

I went to Sobeys yesterday after reading about the international isle here.
First time I have ever heard of Sobeys.
I couldn't find any international isle.

BristolUK May 3rd 2015 1:04 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Goodbhoy (Post 11635577)
I went to Sobeys yesterday after reading about the international isle here.
First time I have ever heard of Sobeys.
I couldn't find any international isle.

It's not a whole aisle dedicated to international foods, just an aisle that has international foods as one of half a dozen things on the aisle description.

Of course it might be that your Sobeys doesn't have one or that it doesn't include British stuff. The ones here have had an international section (mostly Asian but some European stuff) for at least 10 years.

Goodbhoy May 3rd 2015 1:21 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11635594)
It's not a whole aisle dedicated to international foods, just an aisle that has international foods as one of half a dozen things on the aisle description.

Of course it might be that your Sobeys doesn't have one or that it doesn't include British stuff. The ones here have had an international section (mostly Asian but some European stuff) for at least 10 years.

I know that and realise that.
I have seen it at Walmart.

I was in a different part of town and just seen Sobeys (I don't think there is one local to me), I thought about the British isle mentioned here and went to have a look.
I went up and down every isle but didn't see a thing.

Pizzawheel May 4th 2015 1:54 am

Heinz does a locally made salad cream- called either English or British style salad cream. It tasted acceptably similar to the real stuff but I'm not a connoisseur.

This is leading me on to those Heinz British style baked beans which aren't an acceptable equivalent...

Goodbhoy May 4th 2015 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11636425)
This is leading me on to those Heinz British style baked beans which aren't an acceptable equivalent...

I agree.
Is there an equivalent alternative brand?

SchnookoLoly May 4th 2015 2:38 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11636425)
Heinz does a locally made salad cream- called either English or British style salad cream. It tasted acceptably similar to the real stuff but I'm not a connoisseur.

I saw it in Fortinos last week - took a pic and everything thinking about this thread! :p

Howefamily May 4th 2015 3:08 am

Sobeys also sell Nandos sauce!!! Unfortunately ours only has the hot, take the skin of your mouth kind... I am still on the look out for the cool lime one.... love love love

SchnookoLoly May 4th 2015 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 11636494)
Sobeys also sell Nandos sauce!!! Unfortunately ours only has the hot, take the skin of your mouth kind... I am still on the look out for the cool lime one.... love love love

I've bought the garlic peri peri one a few times, definitely gotten it from Metro, but I'm sure I've seen it at most of the major chains. I will let you know if I spot the cool lime one anywhere!

Jingle May 4th 2015 4:32 am

My son and daughter in law are arriving in a couple of weeks - our requests were Bisto gravy powder, Paxo sage and onion stuffing, Waitrose picnic jumbles dog treats (even though our dog is Canadian - he will do anything for one of these!) and Lemsip honey and ginger!! Oh and Twiglets for OH.

That's it. After almost ten years in Canada those are the only things that I can't find good substitutes for and will not pay extortionate imported prices. Our list has definitely got smaller each year we have been here but I really don't think I could do without my Bisto.

J ;)

Juggernaut1064 May 4th 2015 4:35 am

For the stuff i cant find in the stores here i use a web site to deliver, i know there are a few i just prefer this one.

A Bit of Home - Canada's foremost retailer of Irish and British goods

MMMMM WALNUT WHIPS !!!

Pizzawheel May 4th 2015 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Goodbhoy (Post 11636430)
I agree.
Is there an equivalent alternative brand?

I've found Clarks are the best. Not perfect but the closest. Obviously plain without lard, maple syrup, molasses or any other nonsense.

colchar May 4th 2015 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 11636578)
My son and daughter in law are arriving in a couple of weeks - our requests were Bisto gravy powder, Paxo sage and onion stuffing, Waitrose picnic jumbles dog treats (even though our dog is Canadian - he will do anything for one of these!) and Lemsip honey and ginger!! Oh and Twiglets for OH.

That's it. After almost ten years in Canada those are the only things that I can't find good substitutes for and will not pay extortionate imported prices. Our list has definitely got smaller each year we have been here but I really don't think I could do without my Bisto.

J ;)

Paxo stuffing is widely available here. I have three or four boxes of it upstairs right now.

BristolUK May 4th 2015 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 11636578)
...Bisto gravy powder, Paxo sage and onion stuffing...

I don't think I have ever had Bisto. But if I'm not doing my own I find Club House mixes acceptable.

It's disappointing, the lack of stuffing variety here.

PC's mix with Cranberry is the best but if you don't want a poultry style mix there's not much else. Uncle Ben's does a couple that work with other roasts.

But where are the sage & chestnut, apple & herb, onion, leek & chive and all the rest so routinely available in the UK?

GMS_AMS May 4th 2015 6:49 am

My mouth is watering so bad right now - this is a dangerous post :rofl:

I think what I miss the most is Tunnock Tea Cakes and Caramel Wafers. Am on the look out in the GTA for them, but haven't seen any. Hopefully one day :fingerscrossed: