Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

'British style' plastering

'British style' plastering

Old Sep 29th 2006, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'British style' plastering

If you skim coat a drywall (you don't have to), the painted finish will have less of a chance of showing up the drywall 'joins'. (The surface will look more consistent when you shine a light at an angle). I.e. the drywall job itself doesn't have to be so precise. As i understand.

Originally Posted by Majj
These days Architects usually require the joints to be taped and filled and then a skim coat plaster over the lot. THis has been happening for the last 6/7 years. But yes before that it used to be either tape and fill joints or skim coat.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Hi all,
I'm a British builder currently working in Toronto. I am trying to get hold a finish plaster, you know, the sort of stuff that we used in the UK, not the stuff that you get over here for drywall. Gyproc/Gypsum, the sort of stuff that is easily available in B&Q/Homebase etc. that you knock up yourself. I have been on the Gypsum/Gyproc website based in the States but they only seem to carry plasterboard products. I know that plasterind is done mainly in the older houses now but you must be able to get hold of it over here. Is it sold under a different name over here, if so can you let me know what and where I can get hold of it. Thanks guys!
Stuart
I used to do a lot of plastering you are talking about when I was younger: Bonding,Carlite, Ciropite, Thistle etc. Rings the Bell? And still manage to do it for my own needs. I also lived in Calgary untill a few years ago.Otherwise I could come and help you if not too big a job. When I was out there (Canada)I found there were more DIY jobs very common in U.K. that were quite unheard of in Canada. For example I could never find a proper U.K. fence paint to freshen up grey looking wood panel fence. Home Depot guys used to be very baffled when I described the Golden and Brown shades of what is basically an emulsion paint to use directly onto the old fence. Canadians propoesed to scrub it, wash it, sand it, stain it, varnish it or ultimately replace it... but paint it? Naaaa!
I suppose it goes the other way as well. Cause they WASH their houses and we don't.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:46 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gezza
Canadians propoesed to scrub it, wash it, sand it, stain it, varnish it or ultimately replace it... but paint it? Naaaa!
Don't know what area of Calgary you where in or which Home Depot you went to.

But many fences in my neighborhood are painted, mine included a tasteful "Ceylon Brown" according to General Paints.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 11:24 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
For example I could never find a proper U.K. fence paint to freshen up grey looking wood panel fence. Home Depot guys used to be very baffled when I described the Golden and Brown shades of what is basically an emulsion paint to use directly onto the old fence. Canadians propoesed to scrub it, wash it, sand it, stain it, varnish it or ultimately replace it... but paint it? Naaaa!
I suppose it goes the other way as well. Cause they WASH their houses and we don't.
Isn't that what solid colours are? My neighbours have destroyed their fence with this vile green colour which looks like paint to me. It's solid stain though I think.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 2:00 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Back here tonight .......me thinks I am flogging a dead horse!!! Can't get British plaster so will have to go 'with the flow'. Thanks to all who have contributed! If anyone wants a British plasterer amongst other things then please let me know,I am ready, willing and able but you supply the materials!!!!!!!!
Stu
Old Sep 30th 2006, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hangman
Don't know what area of Calgary you where in or which Home Depot you went to.

But many fences in my neighborhood are painted, mine included a tasteful "Ceylon Brown" according to General Paints.
This shop was Vancouver somewhere between Maple Ridge and Mission on Lougheed highway
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Back here tonight .......me thinks I am flogging a dead horse!!! Can't get British plaster so will have to go 'with the flow'. Thanks to all who have contributed! If anyone wants a British plasterer amongst other things then please let me know,I am ready, willing and able but you supply the materials!!!!!!!!
Stu
Stu
Have you thought about contacting the UK, to see if they have any north American outlets. I know I could not find plaster products when I was renovating a 1905 house.

This is the UK website
http://www.british-gypsum.bpb.co.uk/

I have managed to find plaster repair compound in 5-26 kg bags and some repair on old plaster from Home Hardware, but the biggest repair I did was about 2 sq ft. I used compound below. They have a number of plaster products that may suit you. I bet you looking for Thistle/Carlite type products you get get from any builders merchant/DIY store?

This is from Home hardware website http://www.homehardware.ca/

CMPND, SETNG H-DENS
Model:PROFIN90 15KG
HH Item Number: 1625-806
- Specially formulated for high strength,
used for repairs, to embed joint tape,
and to conceal joints, fasteners and
trim accessories on gypsum wallboard
- Specially formulated to harden with very
little shrinkage 90 minutes after mixing
- This enables drywall joints to be taped
and first coated with Quickset 90,