Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

'British style' plastering

'British style' plastering

Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Re: 'British style' plastering

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
Not normally - the joints of the plasterboard are "filled" and, whilst a "skim" is sometimes applied, it is not the type of skim that you are probably imagining (the "silver" coloured one that is 2-3 mm thick).

Once the joints are filled they are usually just sanded and left for the decorators to finish.

This is how it was 15 years ago when I stopped being a chippie but I can't imagine that the basic principle has changed all that much
These days Architects usually require the joints to be taped and filled and then a skim coat plaster over the lot. THis has been happening for the last 6/7 years. But yes before that it used to be either tape and fill joints or skim coat.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

That very much depends on the skill of the plasterer. I would say that average compared against average, a dry walled wall will be much more straight and true than a plastered one. Whilst walls may look straight, when you put something straight against them you will be amazed just how crooked they actually are. At least with "plasterboard walls" they should at least be straight along the length and width of each individual sheet - that's the theory at least :scared:
I agree it depends on the skill of your plasterer. In Suffolk I had a retired plasterer do my old house, he was slow, but really good.
I agree anyone can drywall well if they are good at DIY. I used 90 sheets of 10x4 ft) refurbishing and converting out last house. I a pretty slow at plastering and took me a few weeks to plaster one room once.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Majj
These days Architects usually require the joints to be taped and filled and then a skim coat plaster over the lot. THis has been happening for the last 6/7 years. But yes before that it used to be either tape and fill joints or skim coat.
OK
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hudd
I agree it depends on the skill of your plasterer. In Suffolk I had a retired plasterer do my old house, he was slow, but really good.
I agree anyone can drywall well if they are good at DIY. I used 90 sheets of 10x4 ft) refurbishing and converting out last house. I a pretty slow at plastering and took me a few weeks to plaster one room once.
I remember my old carpentry tutor at college saying something to the effect of, "..Brickies work to the nearest brick, plasterers work to the nearest inch, carpenters work to the nearest 1/8 inch (second fix) and the decorators make all that have gone before them look good"
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by hudd
i wouldn't have a hope in hell of plastering, therefore whenever I walk around a building site; I never cease to be amazed at the plastering.

The thickest plaster I've seen was around 30mm thick to get the walls square. THis was to some Almshouses in Brixton, London. The contractor had to get dehumiderfiers in dry out the rooms!
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

I remember my old carpentry tutor at college saying something to the effect of, "..Brickies work to the nearest brick, plasterers work to the nearest inch, carpenters work to the nearest 1/8 inch (second fix) and the decorators make all that have gone before them look good"
I bet thats not far from the truth? I had fitted kitchens into old houses and found having to trim worktops etc by 3- 5mm on a 3 metre length to get ever thing true. But I used to working in mm and microns tolerances in the power generation industry.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 12:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We have plaster walls and ceilings in both Toronto and Mississauga. Repairing them's a problem.

The house in Mississauga was built in 1957 and may be one of the last with proper walls. The ceilings there are patterned so when the cable guy put his foot through the neighbour's one the insurance company replaced the whole thing (the room's maybe 25' square) with drywall rather than pay for a plasterer who could do swirls.

When we moved into the house in Toronto the living room ceiling had been pebbledashed over the plaster and had a large crack in it; we took it down causing a spectacular mess of horse hair and plaster dust. I didn't want to get into the whole stilts thing so I replaced the ceiling with tin. Bizarrely, now that we're selling the house, the tin ceiling born of laziness and lack of balance has become an architectural feature.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 12:39 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
We have plaster walls and ceilings in both Toronto and Mississauga. Repairing them's a problem.

The house in Mississauga was built in 1957 and may be one of the last with proper walls. The ceilings there are patterned so when the cable guy put his foot through the neighbour's one the insurance company replaced the whole thing (the room's maybe 25' square) with drywall rather than pay for a plasterer who could do swirls.

When we moved into the house in Toronto the living room ceiling had been pebbledashed over the plaster and had a large crack in it; we took it down causing a spectacular mess of horse hair and plaster dust. I didn't want to get into the whole stilts thing so I replaced the ceiling with tin. Bizarrely, now that we're selling the house, the tin ceiling born of laziness and lack of balance has become an architectural feature.
A tin ceiling? Does that look like I'm imagining it to??? Metallic fashion?
Old Sep 29th 2006, 12:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
A tin ceiling? Does that look like I'm imagining it to??? Metallic fashion?
It's made up of panels. They're quite popular in Canada, the US and, I think, South Africa.
Attached Thumbnails 'British style' plastering-e9774637.jpg  
Old Sep 29th 2006, 12:48 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

It's made up of panels. They're quite popular in Canada, the US and, I think, South Africa.
Is that glued or nailed?
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:29 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Wow! You learn something every day... I'm flabbergasted.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Is that glued or nailed?
Nailed. Much more elaborate examples here: http://www.tinceilings.ca/
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:44 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Nailed. Much more elaborate examples here: http://www.tinceilings.ca/
Hmmmmmm.

I'm not sure if I like that or not. It has a certain "pubby" feel about it. Still, it has be better than stucco <spits>.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Hmmmmmm.

I'm not sure if I like that or not. It has a certain "pubby" feel about it. Still, it has be better than stucco <spits>.
That's my view too. If you have a really big room with a high ceiling, an old bank or school house or similar, then an elaborate one with cornice mouldings and the like can look good but, for a smaller space, I'm not so sure.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 3:45 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

New houses are virtually all dry walled now - very rare to see plaster - which is why if you try to fix anything to an external wall - you hit 1/2 an inch of space after you have gone through the plaster board
I'll lend you my stud finder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.