Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British passport for baby

British passport for baby

Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

alexis29 is on a distinguished road
Default British passport for baby

I am a Canadian pr living in Toronto originally from uk and my husband is a canadian. We had our son in march 2012. I want to get my son a british passport, however understand I have to register him as a British citizen first. Does anyone know which application I need to use to do this? I have emailed the uk border agency however received a generic email back from them.
Thank you
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport for baby

Originally Posted by alexis29
I am a Canadian pr living in Toronto originally from uk and my husband is a canadian. We had our son in march 2012. I want to get my son a british passport, however understand I have to register him as a British citizen first. Does anyone know which application I need to use to do this? I have emailed the uk border agency however received a generic email back from them.
Thank you
No, you don't. In fact, consular birth registration is not even available for UK citizens born in Canada (and several other countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and South Africa). If you want your son to have a UK passport, you simply apply for one.

Check here:
https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

Which country was the child born in?
Canada

You must register the birth according to the regulations in Canada.

You can’t register the birth with the UK authorities. However, the birth certificate you are given in Canada will be recognised and accepted in the UK, so this isn’t necessary.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 20th 2014 at 5:16 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much, I had looked at other threads but got confused with different information.
I appreciate your help
Time to fill out that form then
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Since he'll already have his birth registered in Canada just apply for a British passport providing neccessary details of parents citizenship + Canadian Birth Cert. No registration as a British citizen neccessary, or as MarylandNed points out, possible.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Just bare in mind that pics of infants can be very hard to get to the necessary standards for contrast etc, so it may be less effort to just get a Cdn passport instead as you can go to the local office and get an instant yes/no on pics and go for a reshoot there and then if necessary, rather than mailing pictures back and forth...

No great advantage to a UK passport for an infant I would say.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexis29
Thank you very much, I had looked at other threads but got confused with different information.
I appreciate your help
Time to fill out that form then
Yeah, you might have read debates about whether UKC's born in the US (or other countries) should have their births registered with the UK authorities. That's usually a hot topic. Not something anyone born in Canada need concern themselves with though since it's not even an option.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. Didn't think about the photos maybe wait to get them done next time we go home to make sure they are right.
Thanks again!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We've got British passports for both of our children very easily with photos from Shoppers. Most stores have a book with the specifications for UK passports in, otherwise just take them the sheet you can print out with the form.

As Iaink says, I'm not wholly sure of the technical benefits. For us, it was something that we just wanted to get done and dusted for them.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dashie
We've got British passports for both of our children very easily with photos from Shoppers. Most stores have a book with the specifications for UK passports in, otherwise just take them the sheet you can print out with the form.

As Iaink says, I'm not wholly sure of the technical benefits. For us, it was something that we just wanted to get done and dusted for them.
I have friends who said that when they got UK passports for their 2 young kids. The UK passports were never used, eventually expired and never renewed. But at least the kids are "in the system", eh?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie

In our case it wasnt the technical spec, size/ background etc that was the problem, it was that our kids were blonde/pasty and the pictures were too washed out to meet the internal requirements of the new more secure passports.

It took 3 or 4 goes to get pics the canadian office would accept, and even then the office massaged the images taken by the photographers in the basement of the Scarborough CIC office building in order to beef up the contrast.

The lady at the counter said it was surprisingly common in the case of very small kids...

Last edited by iaink; Jan 20th 2014 at 8:41 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

When we had the first ones done for our oldest, they did mention that the photos would get rejected sometimes, and they would retake for free (not much help after those UK courier fees...). However, they also had some tricks to use to get a better tone, because yes too much white or glare in the face would cause them to be rejected. We used a face powder on my sons just to take the shine off their skin, which reduced the glare, and also dressed them in dark clothing to help with the washed out look. Actually, the first time, the people in the store opened a pack of dark bibs so we could put one of those on him and then kept them behind the counter for future.

We've had 5 kids' passports in total now with their photos, no issues with any of them.