British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   British Month? Hummm? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/british-month-hummm-357194/)

babyblue Feb 23rd 2006 8:38 pm

British Month? Hummm?

Ok, I have touched this subject before. Why do we not have a British history month?
I am not a prejudice person at all but i still consider it to be strange. We celebrate every nationality here in Toronto but British.
Wouldn't you love to be proud of your heritage and show the country?
I would love to see this..
I was listening to city TV this morning and someone actually emailed in about this, so i know i am not alone with my thoughts.
We have Caribbana, Greek festival etc why can't we have one?
I would love to see our marching bands and soccer supporters in the streets! :D
:beer:

what would you include in a festival if we could have one?

iaink Feb 23rd 2006 8:46 pm

Re: British Month? Hummm?

Originally Posted by babyblue

Binge Drinking
Pissing in the streets
Projectile Vomiting
Unprovoked assaults?

Too negative?

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2006 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Binge Drinking
Pissing in the streets
Projectile Vomiting
Unprovoked assaults?

Too negative?

And Morris dancing.

babyblue Feb 23rd 2006 8:48 pm

Binge Drinking
Pissing in the streets
Projectile Vomiting
Unprovoked assaults?

Too negative?

is that all us british are good for?

iaink Feb 23rd 2006 8:49 pm

is that all us british are good for?

No , there is morris dancing :)

and lets not forget bagpiping too:D

Oh, and whinging, nearly forgot that one!

babyblue Feb 23rd 2006 9:02 pm

1 Attachment(s)

No , there is morris dancing :)

and lets not forget bagpiping too:D

Oh, and whinging, nearly forgot that one!

you are such a jolly old chap :D

come on what about the soccer songs?

chas n dave!

carnivals!

glastonbury festival!

oh!.. What about food!
I can taste it now!

english fish and chips from a newspaper soaked in vinigar!

Souvenir Feb 23rd 2006 9:05 pm

you are such a jolly old chap :D

come on what about the soccer songs?

chas n dave!

carnivals!

glastonbury festival!

I love the Atlantic Ocean.

macadian Feb 23rd 2006 11:48 pm

Lots of negatives I see....:cool:

As usual, I blame it all on the Romans...;)

Indigo Feb 24th 2006 12:14 am

Ok, I have touched this subject before. Why do we not have a British history month?
I am not a prejudice person at all but i still consider it to be strange. We celebrate every nationality here in Toronto but British.
Wouldn't you love to be proud of your heritage and show the country?
I would love to see this..
I was listening to city TV this morning and someone actually emailed in about this, so i know i am not alone with my thoughts.
We have Caribbana, Greek festival etc why can't we have one?
I would love to see our marching bands and soccer supporters in the streets! :D
:beer:

But there is a "British Isles" event in March, at the CNE in Toronto -does that count!?

yorkiebar99 Feb 24th 2006 12:16 am

Binge Drinking
Pissing in the streets
Projectile Vomiting
Unprovoked assaults?

Too negative?

Maybe you could do the above while morris dancing..........

MarkG Feb 24th 2006 1:33 am

Too negative?
Um, yes.

Britain and the Anglo nations it spawned created most things of importance in the world today: some of them, admittedly, we would have been better off without. But anyone who concentrates on 'binge drinking' rather than that history is clearly trying to run the place down.

Now, I'd agree that Britain _today_ is a dump, but that's largely because the post-WWI generations have deliberately worked to destroy everything that made the country what it was. Britain appears to be the only developed nation where the 'intelligentsia' despise their own history and culture... not because it was a failure, but precisely because it was so successful.

sysclp Feb 24th 2006 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Indigo
But there is a "British Isles" event in March, at the CNE in Toronto -does that count!?

We have been to that one and other than the various booths for buying food and other stuff, you don't get much for the rather high admission fee. Lots of bagpipes, someone from Coronation Street, and a really bad MC who does covers of people like Neil Diamond. I prefer the renaissance festival which actually does have Morris Dancers every year. :)

While my ancestry is British (way back, but one ancestor's papers are in the British Museum), I am from the Southern US. There isn't even a decent restaurant up here that serves my regional cuisine, so feel fortunate that there is so much British stuff here as it could be much, much worse.

dbd33 Feb 24th 2006 11:29 am

Originally Posted by sysclp
I prefer the renaissance festival which actually does have Morris Dancers every year. :)

That's not so odd. One of my daughters is on the fringe of the Morris dancing world. There are a couple of sides in Ontario and, curiously, big interest in it in upstate New York. I find an interest in Morris dancing quite worrying but, luckily, it doesn't seem to clash with sex and drugs.

babyblue Feb 24th 2006 12:50 pm

I am shocked at how negative some of these post seem to be. Is nobody proud of the British heritage?

The British isles show is on for 3 days and not many people really know about it. I always try and spread the word.

Is Britain not good for anything?

Well i am still proud to be British. Even if nobody else shares my enthusiasm. :confused:

dbd33 Feb 24th 2006 12:52 pm

I am shocked at how negative some of these post seem to be. Is nobody proud of the British heritage?

The British isles show is on for 3 days and not many people really know about it. I always try and spread the word.

Well i am still proud to be British. Even if nobody else shares my enthusiasm. :confused:

I'm a British subject, not proud of it, while I carry the burden of shame.

Nonetheless we'll go to the British Isles Show and wallow in the tackiness of it all.

TruBrit Feb 24th 2006 12:59 pm

Well i am still proud to be British. Even if nobody else shares my

enthusiasm. :confused:

lol of course i'm proud to be british....no reason not to be...all the probs that goes on there goes on everywhere else, no difference....that's the brits for you...never satisfied unless moaning...lol hey i'd never heard about this british month wish they had that in the uk...maybe they do and i've missed it...so unpatriotic we are :( one disappointing side to this be forum is that most seem to like to bash the uk, every week there's another negative thread about knocking the uk... :confused: so :zzz:

NoreenC Feb 24th 2006 1:19 pm

I agree babyblue. I an also proud to be British.

babyblue Feb 24th 2006 2:02 pm

4 Attachment(s)
can't you just imagine?

iaink Feb 24th 2006 2:12 pm

Its not that I'm not proud to be British, apparently my dry British sense of humour was lost on a few people here:rolleyes:

Its just that for me one of the things that defines "britishness" is avoiding the need for the kind of vulgar culture waiving that other nations seem to need to affirm there place in the world.

Brits seem to be the type to just get on with it, do what we have to do and not worry too much what everyone else thinks, so the whole idea of having a festival to celebrate all we have done strikes me as a bit incongruous.

britishvixen21 Feb 24th 2006 4:23 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I am very proud to be british more proud than I ever was back home, Id love a british history month, especially considering that so much of Canadian culture and heritage stems from their too.

We should start a petition Baby!

As for all these moany buggers let em be! Moaning seems about all they have to do in their lives let em have it!

cant forget to have some of this too

dbd33 Feb 24th 2006 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I am very proud to be british more proud than I ever was back home, Id love a british history month, especially considering that so much of Canadian culture and heritage stems from their too.

As for all these moany buggers let em be! Moaning seems about all they have to do in their lives let em have it!

What's that strange stuff on the plate ?

Souvenir Feb 24th 2006 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
What's that strange stuff on the plate ?

Dunno about the brown things but the huge zit appears to have burst,

NessieOggy Feb 24th 2006 5:17 pm

I've really enjoyed the Highland Games I've attended in Penticton BC. Always fun. :)

ray1968 Feb 24th 2006 5:47 pm

Actually to be more precise I think the English clebrate their culture less so then Scots / Irish and possibly even the Welsh.

babyblue Feb 24th 2006 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
I've really enjoyed the Highland Games I've attended in Penticton BC. Always fun. :)

We could incorporate the Edinburgh tattoo! :D

babyblue Feb 24th 2006 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by britishvixen21

Let me be the first to sign that petition! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Exactly my point about Canada and british history.

Can you imagine the fun to be had. I am always being asked questions.
We could actually teach them a thing or two. How to make a cuppa tea for starters.

babyblue Feb 24th 2006 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by ray1968
Actually to be more precise I think the English clebrate their culture less so then Scots / Irish and possibly even the Welsh.

You are so right about that and this is why i think an event such as this is very educational to all.
The kids where i work love it when i tell them stories from england. I think they assume it is a different planet!

I love Canada and i am in no way disrespecting it at all. I just want to share my heritage and British heritage is packed full of history and fascinating facts. great education and fun for all.

johnehsmith Feb 24th 2006 5:59 pm

Im proud to be English.

I live in Canada but im proud of England and all the good things it has done
in the past. Like save the world from Nazis, invent every sport under the sun,
as well as giving the world the best language there is. No debate about
any of those statements by the way.

Im not proud to be British because that place doesnt exist. Im not Scottish
or Welsh and have no desire to be.

dbd33 Feb 24th 2006 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by johnehsmith
Im proud to be English.

I live in Canada but im proud of England and all the good things it has done
in the past. Like save the world from Nazis, invent every sport under the sun,
as well as giving the world the best language there is. No debate about
any of those statements by the way.

Im not proud to be British because that place doesnt exist. Im not Scottish
or Welsh and have no desire to be.

Tirez l'autre, il a des cloches dessus, china.

iaink Feb 24th 2006 6:19 pm

Im not proud to be British because that place doesnt exist.

God, not that argument again.

What about those fortunate enough to have a mixed heritage? Im British and proud of it.

Souvenir Feb 24th 2006 6:37 pm

Tirez l'autre, il a des cloches dessus, china.

It's about time we had a franglais thread.

My foray into "skint" returned no takers, BTW. I'm hurt.

dbd33 Feb 24th 2006 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's about time we had a franglais thread.

My foray into "skint" returned no takers, BTW. I'm hurt.

Eh? Look again. Sab's up for the Monday. otraynor and I can do the Monday. I'll ask the others tonight; we'll be at the Bier Markt, join us if you like.

NessieOggy Feb 24th 2006 6:49 pm

Forgive me if I'm stepping out of line here.... I'm Canadian by birth and find some statements or attitudes I've seen here puzzling. In my school years, we were taught that Great Britain comprised of 3 countries - England, Wales & Scotland. When referring to the people of these nations, together, you would say, British. I've travelled through both England & Scotland & came away with a wonderful impression of both countries. I hope to see more of British Isles. :)

Perhaps by being raised by immigrant parents in such a multicultural nation, it has lead me to believe each culture and country brings an interesting mix to the blend here in Canada. Some traditions or beliefs I may not necessary believe in, or find "natural" to my environment.... but really try to keep an open mind even when I don't personally agree or particularly like a countries policies or beliefs (or history for that matter).

Sorry if I've taken this thread off context... just had this on my mind for a while & finally took the leap to post!

Cheers

Oggy

Souvenir Feb 24th 2006 6:55 pm

Eh? Look again. Sab's up for the Monday. otraynor and I can do the Monday. I'll ask the others tonight; we'll be at the Bier Markt, join us if you like.

That lot wasn't there last time I looked (this morning).

Monday 6th it is. Where and what time? And will you be offended if I show up in a suit?

dbd33 Feb 24th 2006 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That lot wasn't there last time I looked (this morning).

Monday 6th it is. Where and what time? And will you be offended if I show up in a suit?

Not offended by suit, have asked for suggestions. It's a Monday so cruiks will only go places way up north, like Yonge and Eglintion.

Souvenir Feb 24th 2006 7:08 pm

Not offended by suit, have asked for suggestions. It's a Monday so cruiks will only go places way up north, like Yonge and Eglintion.

Fine by me. Not that I know anywhere up North, apart from the Rebel whatever.

I'll be in the Sheraton so most places are accessible.

johnehsmith Feb 24th 2006 8:09 pm

God, not that argument again.

What about those fortunate enough to have a mixed heritage? Im British and proud of it.

Try reading this

Im speaking personally, you dont have to agree with me, but I grew up in a
country called England, the football team I support plays in white and the
language I speak is called English. Ask anyone I know and they will say
they are English.

Honestly the only thing i know about a place called Britain is that its Little
and funny.

iaink Feb 24th 2006 8:18 pm

Try reading this

Im speaking personally, you dont have to agree with me, but I grew up in a
country called England, the football team I support plays in white and the
language I speak is called English. Ask anyone I know and they will say
they are English.

Honestly the only thing i know about a place called Britain is that its Little
and funny.

YOU are english. You speak english. Many people from other countries also speak english. As it seems you are real madrid supporter I can understand your frustration.

This website is not called "EnglishExpats" is it now.

johnehsmith Feb 24th 2006 8:21 pm

YOU are english. You speak english. Many people from other countries also speak english. As it seems you are real madrid supporter I can understand your frustration.

Tottenham Hotpurs actually, the pride of North London.

Point taken re forum name, but my original point was I dont celebrate being
British and why dont we as the english celebrate our heritage a bit more
e.g the irish have st pats day, there's canada day and all that, why not
have a public holiday on st georges day?

After all, there is no 'british day' is there?

babyblue Feb 24th 2006 8:21 pm

or are we CANGLISH :D