Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Month? Hummm?

British Month? Hummm?

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default British Month? Hummm?

Ok, I have touched this subject before. Why do we not have a British history month?
I am not a prejudice person at all but i still consider it to be strange. We celebrate every nationality here in Toronto but British.
Wouldn't you love to be proud of your heritage and show the country?
I would love to see this..
I was listening to city TV this morning and someone actually emailed in about this, so i know i am not alone with my thoughts.
We have Caribbana, Greek festival etc why can't we have one?
I would love to see our marching bands and soccer supporters in the streets!

what would you include in a festival if we could have one?
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Month? Hummm?

Originally Posted by babyblue

Binge Drinking
Pissing in the streets
Projectile Vomiting
Unprovoked assaults?

Too negative?
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Binge Drinking
Pissing in the streets
Projectile Vomiting
Unprovoked assaults?

Too negative?

And Morris dancing.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Binge Drinking
Pissing in the streets
Projectile Vomiting
Unprovoked assaults?

Too negative?
is that all us british are good for?
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

is that all us british are good for?
No , there is morris dancing

and lets not forget bagpiping too

Oh, and whinging, nearly forgot that one!

Last edited by iaink; Feb 23rd 2006 at 8:54 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

No , there is morris dancing

and lets not forget bagpiping too

Oh, and whinging, nearly forgot that one!
you are such a jolly old chap

come on what about the soccer songs?

chas n dave!

carnivals!

glastonbury festival!

oh!.. What about food!
I can taste it now!

english fish and chips from a newspaper soaked in vinigar!
Attached Images  

Last edited by babyblue; Feb 23rd 2006 at 9:09 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 9:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

you are such a jolly old chap

come on what about the soccer songs?

chas n dave!

carnivals!

glastonbury festival!
I love the Atlantic Ocean.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of negatives I see....

As usual, I blame it all on the Romans...
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:14 am
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice

Ok, I have touched this subject before. Why do we not have a British history month?
I am not a prejudice person at all but i still consider it to be strange. We celebrate every nationality here in Toronto but British.
Wouldn't you love to be proud of your heritage and show the country?
I would love to see this..
I was listening to city TV this morning and someone actually emailed in about this, so i know i am not alone with my thoughts.
We have Caribbana, Greek festival etc why can't we have one?
I would love to see our marching bands and soccer supporters in the streets!

But there is a "British Isles" event in March, at the CNE in Toronto -does that count!?
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

Binge Drinking
Pissing in the streets
Projectile Vomiting
Unprovoked assaults?

Too negative?

Maybe you could do the above while morris dancing..........
Old Feb 24th 2006, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Too negative?
Um, yes.

Britain and the Anglo nations it spawned created most things of importance in the world today: some of them, admittedly, we would have been better off without. But anyone who concentrates on 'binge drinking' rather than that history is clearly trying to run the place down.

Now, I'd agree that Britain _today_ is a dump, but that's largely because the post-WWI generations have deliberately worked to destroy everything that made the country what it was. Britain appears to be the only developed nation where the 'intelligentsia' despise their own history and culture... not because it was a failure, but precisely because it was so successful.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Indigo
But there is a "British Isles" event in March, at the CNE in Toronto -does that count!?
We have been to that one and other than the various booths for buying food and other stuff, you don't get much for the rather high admission fee. Lots of bagpipes, someone from Coronation Street, and a really bad MC who does covers of people like Neil Diamond. I prefer the renaissance festival which actually does have Morris Dancers every year.

While my ancestry is British (way back, but one ancestor's papers are in the British Museum), I am from the Southern US. There isn't even a decent restaurant up here that serves my regional cuisine, so feel fortunate that there is so much British stuff here as it could be much, much worse.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sysclp
I prefer the renaissance festival which actually does have Morris Dancers every year.
That's not so odd. One of my daughters is on the fringe of the Morris dancing world. There are a couple of sides in Ontario and, curiously, big interest in it in upstate New York. I find an interest in Morris dancing quite worrying but, luckily, it doesn't seem to clash with sex and drugs.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am shocked at how negative some of these post seem to be. Is nobody proud of the British heritage?

The British isles show is on for 3 days and not many people really know about it. I always try and spread the word.

Is Britain not good for anything?

Well i am still proud to be British. Even if nobody else shares my enthusiasm.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I am shocked at how negative some of these post seem to be. Is nobody proud of the British heritage?

The British isles show is on for 3 days and not many people really know about it. I always try and spread the word.

Is Britain not good for anything?

Well i am still proud to be British. Even if nobody else shares my enthusiasm.
I'm a British subject, not proud of it, while I carry the burden of shame.

Nonetheless we'll go to the British Isles Show and wallow in the tackiness of it all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.