Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are British Law Schools so inferior?

Are British Law Schools so inferior?

Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:22 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are British Law Schools so inferior?

Maybe a slight misunderstanding over the word " bar" ?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
As I have said above, I have heard that getting into law school in Canada is the tough bit and that, once that goal is achieved, the rest of one's life is an easy street.
Not always true - in 1991 it was harder to get into the B.Ed (secondary social studies degree) in the U of C than their law faculty. The B.Ed was asking for 3.9 average and Law 3.3 (out of 4)

How do I know - I got into the B.ED course, and felt somewhat justified that my marks were more than high enough to get into the Law Faculty. So saying "bugger that" when I got the letter from the Law Society was doubly sweet.

Re LLB exams: we had four exams twice a year. Open book essays - no true/false or "pick one" questions. 5-7 hours long. The pass mark was 30% If you got more than 60% you were a bloody genius. Even Lord Denning MR wouldn't have got much above 60%! The whole of the course mark was based on the final exam. Term work counted for zero! If you failed one exam you had to retake all four a few weeks later (to make it fair to those that had passed the first time). Each exam was then different from the first four you took. If you failed one or more again you had to retake all four the next year (12 months later), and were sent down for the year!

I found the U of C to be a joke in comparison.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:35 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin's eldest is looking at going to Uni to study law this year. She's talked to a few of her mother's friends who are lawyers/solicitors and it seems that there's a a big problem once you graduate. After graduating you need to "article" for one year usually while working as a junior in a legal firm. However, with the current economic climate the junior law firm positions just aren't available.

Some universities allow you to become articled as part of the course so it's probably wise to check out which Universities offer this option.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:59 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

British Education system is superior to Canada. Problem is that many law graduates in Canada still struggle to fidn work and the Canadian graduates will get the opportunities over overseas graduates. American/Canadian law is complicated and they don't tend to noramlly hire from overseas but overseas lawyers still work in these countries.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:17 am
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

That I agree with:

Weebie
British Education system is superior to Canada. Problem is that many law graduates in Canada still struggle to fidn work and the Canadian graduates will get the opportunities over overseas graduates. American/Canadian law is complicated and they don't tend to noramlly hire from overseas but overseas lawyers still work in these countries.

It is exactly what the guy from UK (Solicitor) has had to deal with over here and he is still slowly working his way back to where he was, I'd be pretty frustrated if that were me - I think he is too. I think our system is less complicated and better in the UK, the system over here is a shambles in comparison and needs to get sorted. The RCMP even told me they can't sort out the tobacco problem as there are lawyers who think marijuana should be legalized, very worrying and nuts

Oh and sadly it is not just lawyers from UK who come second to the Canadians, it is the same with Nursing (my line of work) and no doubt many others, it seems they will give the job to a Canadian on the whole before a foreigner. So seems we were treated 2nd with foreigners in our own country (UK) and are here too, at least my Son will have it better being born Canadian Citizen, and at least Canada has it right in looking after their own first, shame the UK could not do that with all of us.

Thankfully I found a more decent employer who is unbiased in that way, however it is casual employment which can be a bit frustrating but they don't employ full time etc in this particular job, still I'd not leave them ever, just find a 2nd job as I am doing which tend to not be a problem except right now as work is scarce due to tight budgets with the economy but that is temporary.

Last edited by blackcomb1; Jul 20th 2010 at 6:21 am.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

I went to university in the UK and attained a LL.B (Hons) and can honestly say that I received an excellent legal education. I cannot compare it to the Canadian system as I have no knowledge of that.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
As I have said above, I have heard that getting into law school in Canada is the tough bit and that, once that goal is achieved, the rest of one's life is an easy street.
I cannot obtain an opinion from my child, the law student, on the description of her course load being "easy street" as she's gone sailing for the summer ( easy street for sure). That's a shame as she has a caustic turn of phrase and I think I might enjoy her comments. I would point out, however, that there's one complication in Canada not suffered in the UK; she "moots", that is debates in mock courts, for her school in both English and French. Making a legal argument in either of two languages requires a lot of background reading as the cases and the nuances of delivering the argument are not the same.

The point above about lack of opportunities for graduates is a good one. My understanding is that one's internship after the first year is crucial; it's very common to end up working for that firm. The other choice is a position with interesting work, public defender, environmental law, something in band treaty negotiation, jobs that pay less than a living wage before consideration of the debt incurred in getting to that position. Effective schmoozing in the first terms seems critical.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You didn't do the law exam at all did you. You got lost and ended up at a pub quiz.
I`ve been rumbled

Point is, non law students would be able to answer that question. On the equivalent paper in England, I can`t think of any question that all but the very well read would be able to answer.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Not always true - in 1991 it was harder to get into the B.Ed (secondary social studies degree) in the U of C than their law faculty. The B.Ed was asking for 3.9 average and Law 3.3 (out of 4)

I don`t doubt that it is more difficult to obtain a place on others courses. What I said was meant to demonstrate that, once in, few fail.

How do I know - I got into the B.ED course, and felt somewhat justified that my marks were more than high enough to get into the Law Faculty. So saying "bugger that" when I got the letter from the Law Society was doubly sweet.

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Re LLB exams: we had four exams twice a year. Open book essays - no true/false or "pick one" questions. 5-7 hours long. The pass mark was 30% If you got more than 60% you were a bloody genius. Even Lord Denning MR wouldn't have got much above 60%! The whole of the course mark was based on the final exam. Term work counted for zero! If you failed one exam you had to retake all four a few weeks later (to make it fair to those that had passed the first time). Each exam was then different from the first four you took. If you failed one or more again you had to retake all four the next year (12 months later), and were sent down for the year!

I found the U of C to be a joke in comparison.
My exams followed the regular degree pattern - 40% pass, 50%+ for a 2:2, 60%+ for a 2:1, 70%+ for a first. The highest mark for any paper was 73%. When my first paper was marked 67% I thought is was crap (had been in the Army and that would be a crap mark on any of their papers) and was told that I had done well.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JGK
My cousin's eldest is looking at going to Uni to study law this year. She's talked to a few of her mother's friends who are lawyers/solicitors and it seems that there's a a big problem once you graduate. After graduating you need to "article" for one year usually while working as a junior in a legal firm. However, with the current economic climate the junior law firm positions just aren't available.

The difference I have found between England and Canada is that, in England, the firms look for someone that they want to employ and then offer them Articles. Very few are not kept on after articles.

In Canada, the firms don`t look beyond Articling and will offer 100 students articles, knowing full well they will only keep 20 on. The "best" 20 make it, the others don`t. The advantage with Canada, though, is that once called to the Bar, the lawyer can immediately set up shop on their own. In England, one has to have a minimum of 3 years post qualification experience, before one is allowed to set up shop on one`s own.

Originally Posted by JGK
Some universities allow you to become articled as part of the course so it's probably wise to check out which Universities offer this option.
I don`t believe this could ever be the case, it is the Law Societies that dictate prerequisites for Articles, not the Universities. I very much doubt that this is true.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Weebie
US and Canadian law is based on the law of England and Wales so I don`t understand what you are saying here.

I have never heard of an English lawyer struggle to get to grips with US or Canadian law.

The English LL.B. is so well respected that it is fully accepted by the New York Bar. All one needs to do is write the Bar exam.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
I cannot obtain an opinion from my child, the law student, on the description of her course load being "easy street" as she's gone sailing for the summer ( easy street for sure). That's a shame as she has a caustic turn of phrase and I think I might enjoy her comments. I would point out, however, that there's one complication in Canada not suffered in the UK; she "moots", that is debates in mock courts, for her school in both English and French. Making a legal argument in either of two languages requires a lot of background reading as the cases and the nuances of delivering the argument are not the same.
I don`t know if being able to argue in two languages is required in all Universities in Canada. In England there isn`t the bilingual issue. Great skill to have though

Originally Posted by dbd33
The point above about lack of opportunities for graduates is a good one. My understanding is that one's internship after the first year is crucial; it's very common to end up working for that firm. The other choice is a position with interesting work, public defender, environmental law, something in band treaty negotiation, jobs that pay less than a living wage before consideration of the debt incurred in getting to that position. Effective schmoozing in the first terms seems critical.
This is very true and reflects the whole Canadian network thing. However, if one is a good lawyer they are a good lawyer. Not obtaining articles at a large firm is unlikely to be a factor if one sets up on their own, becomes a leading light in a practice area and then moves to a large firm at a later date.

I used to work for Eversheds in England, then the 4th largest firm in the world. I always felt like I was lawyer 1524, whose office, I think, may be past the coke machine on the 17th floor. I enjoyed my time there and it proved to me that I could cut it with the so-called "big firm" lawyers. Wild horses couldn`t drag me back to work for a firm of that size.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

I have no idea what the Canadian law schools are like but had a couple of friends who read Law at Durham and it seemed to be to be a bit of a game, they had to go to Law Society balls and the networking system was really fierce.
I would in no way say that the British Education system is 'better' than the Canadian system...it's just different and it seems obvious if you want to study a region specific course you ought to study in the region you're wanting to practice in, don't make life more complicated than it needs to be.
I think the system in the UK is pretty terrible at the moment, if you don't get the grades to go to a redbrick or first division Uni don't waste the money as it really is the school they look at when applying for Graduate jobs. Coming from Plymouth I knew people who graduated with high 2.1's and 1st class degrees who applied for the same jobs as people at Durham who finished with lower 2.1's and it wasn't the Plymouth lot who got the jobs! After I graduated from Durham I had one interview in London where the entire first round was just me and a management consultant from Durham trading stories on playing women's rugby.