Reload this Page >

British Family living in France

British Family living in France

Old Apr 30th 2018, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

mrsBell is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face British Family living in France

Hi Everyone,

I am just after some general information/advice.

We are a British family living in France, my two children are in a french mainstream school but can also can read/write/speak English. My husband brought up the idea of moving to Canada in a few years time. My husband and I are not amazing at french but have a basic knowledge.

I am a Primary School teacher and I am currently working at a Montessori school teaching french children english. I also have a Masters degree in Autism and have worked with special needs children for many years.

If we came I would be the main applicant for a visa.

Is there are great special needs provision for special needs and teaching in Canada? Is there any teachers on here and do I need any top up qualifications to teach mainstream school (kinder garden) in Canada?

Where would be best to visit to get an idea of where to live if I want my children to carry on being bilingual?

Everyone says the quality of life is better in Canada, what are your own opinions of this?

Thanks for reading and any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 1:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Family living in France

Originally Posted by mrsBell
Hi Everyone,

I am just after some general information/advice.

We are a British family living in France, my two children are in a french mainstream school but can also can read/write/speak English. My husband brought up the idea of moving to Canada in a few years time. My husband and I are not amazing at french but have a basic knowledge.

I am a Primary School teacher and I am currently working at a Montessori school teaching french children english. I also have a Masters degree in Autism and have worked with special needs children for many years.

If we came I would be the main applicant for a visa.

Is there are great special needs provision for special needs and teaching in Canada? Is there any teachers on here and do I need any top up qualifications to teach mainstream school (kinder garden) in Canada?

Where would be best to visit to get an idea of where to live if I want my children to carry on being bilingual?

Everyone says the quality of life is better in Canada, what are your own opinions of this?

Thanks for reading and any replies would be greatly appreciated.
My children are bilingual having attended French language (not immersion but actual French language schools) in Toronto and the GTA until the end of high school. So, Ontario would work, Quebec too, of course. One child is now raising her children to be bilingual in Vancouver, I imagine that's going to be more difficult.

Teaching is generally considered to be an impossible field for immigrants. However, the combination of French language and autism expertise may offer a route. In Ontario each district has four distinct school boards; two English, two French, they're all government funded. When my autistic daughter was in high school she was the only nominally francophone (actually non-verbal) autistic child that year and had effectively unlimited funding (the school built her a Snoezelen room). If Ontario is a potential target I would start with the French school boards. Note that you are Catholic, even if you weren't yesterday, even if you're in a hajib, for this purpose you're Catholic.

Quality of life, depends what you want, it's not obviously better overall but it may be for you. New Brunswick is officially bilingually but the weather is awful so it's hard to imagine that you live in a place such that moving there would be better.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 5:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Family living in France

https://www.oct.ca/becoming-a-teache...cated-teachers to obtain your certification/license to teach in Ontario

Welcome to BE!