Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British expressions that confuse Canadians

British expressions that confuse Canadians

Old Oct 6th 2012, 2:25 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expressions that confuse Canadians

[QUOTE=Largo;10316257]
Originally Posted by Paul_lived [COLOR="[COLOR="red"
Red"][U]there (Shepherd;10315451]Yes Ive found you can certainly have some fun with some of them! However we shouldnt be too hard on our Canadian buddies we chose to live in Canada afterall....we are the immigrants!

Ah! yes indeed!!!!! It seems my first assumption was correct
The fun with quotes and colours Rookie

As I've done that a few times myself
Old Oct 6th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

i got looked at weirdly when i laughed at Shaganappi, then explained that in the UK, you'd be as well calling it "****adiaper" and we had a good laugh
Old Oct 6th 2012, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

The first expression that made some confusion was in my first job 30 years ago when I asked the secretary for a"Rubber" in the office where I worked.

I was advised by my English manager that I should have asked for an "Eraser" since a "Rubber" was Canadian for a Condum.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 3:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
The first expression that made some confusion was in my first job 30 years ago when I asked the secretary for a"Rubber" in the office where I worked.

I was advised by my English manager that I should have asked for an "Eraser" since a "Rubber" was Canadian for a Condum.
And and then you offered to lay the table.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

snowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud of

kitty corner ??
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:23 am
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

We were alarmed when our Canadian neighbours told us they love cottaging
Old Oct 7th 2012, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

PzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nice

Originally Posted by flashman

Shortly after we first moved to the US, my 7 year old daughter came home with a note from her teacher explaining this very different use of the word rubber! Needles to say we all started using the word eraser - a lot - without going into too much detail with her about why we didn't say rubber anymore!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edwinslad
I was talking with some friends about a comment one politition made about another and I remarked "that's the pot calling the kettle black". They thought it was racist remark!

That's funny! Although I'm certain I've heard cradles using that expression. Must just be your friend.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
"jigsaw"

I was helping in my son's art class and they were doing home-made jigsaws for fathers day.

I was talking to a few kids about their jigsaw and they were just like "ay?" and I was like you know your "jigsaw" and they were like "ay?" with blank looks.

It's called a puzzle over here...
Puzzles or jigsaw puzzles, but you're right, never jigsaws.

Ask for a jigsaw in Canada and you'll be pointed toward a hardware store.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Largo

There are expressions that I have not heard before; one was the Martha /Arthur thing, but it was obviously way after I left the UK I did, however, understand Novo's 'tappy-lappy doon the Lonnen,' since it is a regional expression ( by the way Novo was that Two -Ball Lonnen ?)
Any old Lonnen. The nearest to where I grew up was the Silver Lonnen. But I'm surprised that if you know the Two-Ball Lonnen you're unfamiliar with a B.J.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Any old Lonnen. The nearest to where I grew up was the Silver Lonnen. But I'm surprised that if you know the Two-Ball Lonnen you're unfamiliar with a B.J.
I only know of the name 'Two - Ball Lonnen ' because as a child when I went to school at DAGS I saw the name on the buses. Each day, I came by train from the Morpeth area and from the Central Station took the trolley bus up to Fenham.
Googled Silver Lonnen and found it is quite close to TBL. I have absolutely no idea what B.J. means.
You must know that in those days i.e.1945 - 1952 we were brought up to be , by our Headmistress, Miss Elliot, 'young ladies'; not that everyone turned out that way, but I did tend to conform. Since then I have 'relaxed' somewhat

I do have a curious nature and would appreciate it if you would PM me and tell me what B.J, means
Old Oct 8th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

thepatmores is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband once told a customer on the phone that the salesman was out the back with his usual fag in his mouth, deadly silence on the phone until someone told him what he'd said, one quick explanation later and luckily all was well.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 9:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I only know of the name 'Two - Ball Lonnen ' because as a child when I went to school at DAGS I saw the name on the buses. Each day, I came by train from the Morpeth area and from the Central Station took the trolley bus up to Fenham.
Googled Silver Lonnen and found it is quite close to TBL. I have absolutely no idea what B.J. means.
You must know that in those days i.e.1945 - 1952 we were brought up to be , by our Headmistress, Miss Elliot, 'young ladies'; not that everyone turned out that way, but I did tend to conform. Since then I have 'relaxed' somewhat

I do have a curious nature and would appreciate it if you would PM me and tell me what B.J, means
Madame, I am far too much the gentleman to PM a lady concerning such delicate matters. Ask mandy.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Madame, I am far too much the gentleman to PM a lady concerning such delicate matters. Ask mandy.
I blush just responding to this but...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bj

Or was it Bachelor of Journalism?
Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Novo and D&N Hill,

Oops! Yes, I have heard of that, but did not make the association with the initials . Will have to plead temporary mind block or old age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.