Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British expressions that confuse Canadians

British expressions that confuse Canadians

Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:47 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expressions that confuse Canadians

Originally Posted by dbd33
Kissing the pink?
If you can't see the pink because the red is in the way, go for the brown.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Whipper snipper! What's that all about???

I like to use the expression "swings and roundabouts", that always confuses.

Today I mentione the Airport a couple of times. Each time they asked we to repeat!!! I blame the Acadians! lol
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:32 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

half past 3. its not difficult. you knwo there are 60 minutes in an hour right? you get that 15 of those is a quarter after 3 right? how hard is it to make the leap that a half of those 60 minutes could be 30 minutes.
no.
its 3 thirty.

warder, budder, etc i can make my self understood but get puzzled looks.

and OMG about the oz thing, are there lots of aussies here then? i havent met one yet (except my huaband who is english! but was told in no uncertain terms he was from down under and was joshing!)

tap-faucet.
and what in hell is a double double? ill stick to tea i think

(still i love it here and they can call me a kangaroo if they really want to )
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:41 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

aaah Cmon double double is a standard term - 2 creams 2 sugars!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:22 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a customer tell me she is going off to the UK for her next big trip, but she is really nervous about the money because it's so confusing, I wish I had some shillings etc so I do the thing that DBD did that would be so funny, but I have promised to take some coins in for her to see.

and yes TJ I get you on the half past whatever, c'mon people it's not rocket science
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
half past 3. its not difficult. you knwo there are 60 minutes in an hour right? you get that 15 of those is a quarter after 3 right? how hard is it to make the leap that a half of those 60 minutes could be 30 minutes.
no.
its 3 thirty.

warder, budder, etc i can make my self understood but get puzzled looks.

and OMG about the oz thing, are there lots of aussies here then? i havent met one yet (except my huaband who is english! but was told in no uncertain terms he was from down under and was joshing!)

tap-faucet.
and what in hell is a double double? ill stick to tea i think

(still i love it here and they can call me a kangaroo if they really want to )
Did you know that in German halb drei (half three) is actually 2:30 ?

I blame the foreigners.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to whether expressions will be understood here.

I was in charge of traffic control at our community clean up, so I went to find someone who would lend us road cones. After describing road cones, I was informed that I meant "traffic pylons."

So I proudly reported back to the next meeting that I had sourced some traffic pylons, to be met with more blank stares. After describing them, I was informed "they're called road cones in Canada."

I've only been called Australian three times in my four years in Canada, but I've also been accused of being German, Irish and Nova Scotian!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:32 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

When we first moved here I spoke to one of my son's friend's mother to ask her if her son would like to come round to our house after school and stay for some 'tea', the response I got was 'Oh, I'm sorry, Liam doesn't drink tea, he will drink milk or water though'. I soon learnt to call it supper!

I have also taught some people that I worked with a few British swear words, which they thought were hilarious and used on a regular basis, namely w**ker, to**er, to**pot.

Trying to explain to someone that my husband was 'knackered' got odd looks, so I said 'you know, shattered' which gained more strange looks, I then resorted to just 'tired'.

The same as someone else said that they were conscious of how they spoke when they first came here, but now don't care, well that is me, if people don't understand then they either ask or I get the jist of it by the blank looks that I get.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend: So what do you think about Simon Cowell?

Me: I dont fancy him!!!

My friend: , what does "fancy" mean???
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Did you know that in German halb drei (half three) is actually 2:30 ?

I blame the foreigners.
In Boston "quarter of three" is 2:45, perhaps the half of the population I took to be Italian is really German.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In Boston "quarter of three" is 2:45, perhaps the half of the population I took to be Italian is really German.
Fascinating. Perhaps it's the same in Italy. I donna speaka the Eyetie.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiganfem
we have been asked if we are Auzzie and Scottish, we are from Lancs, been asked if Scotland is in England. having a convo with the neighbours they didn't understand trainers, nappies, usual things like that, but they defo dont get the English humour and sarcasm !!
Im originally from the black country, which is a region covering a number of industrial towns to the west of Birmingham, here I constantly get called Irish!! - that often infact thats its become a joke amongst my Canadian friends here! It doesnt bother me at all, but im not sure how a black country accent sounds Irish! and before anyone says anything i sound nothing like a Brummie!

As for the British sarcasm...almost all of the Canadians i work with are sarcastic, however I think this is universal trait of the job I do, nearly all draughtsmen I have worked with have a stupid and sarastic cutting sense of humour! and it seems Canadian draughtsmen are no different! LOL!
Old Oct 5th 2012, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

PzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nice

I just got this in my inbox from Marriott and I had to see if there is an alternate date for April Fools in the US,

Sometimes they really should do a sanity check with other nations before naming products.

Yes your eyes are not deceiving you - Marriott have just launched a new brand of hotels called "Gaylord Hotels"

Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:26 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

A "fortnight" is one that always confuses the locals as is referring to doing the "hoovering".
Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:28 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians dont like the word, '****', especially when they are one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.