Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Doctors in Winnipeg

British Doctors in Winnipeg

Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Doctors in Winnipeg

Originally Posted by dbd33
The only reason I would even consider indulging such an intrusion would be the off chance of a discovery of a terminal condition, something that would allow the guilt free enjoyment of a carton of Marlboro reds. Minor cancers, conditions that can be "rectified" by irradiation leading to loss of hair, loss of appetites of all kinds and slow death, those I'd just as soon not see coming. Ta.

I certainly know where you're coming from. The South African has been delicately suggesting a colonoscopy for several years. "F*** that for a lark", has been my consistent reply.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Fair enough , dad decided that 72 was too young to die , especially given that he still has his faculties very much intact.

That and the fact he's determined to outlive his knee implant
Well, I can't be getting an implant. That'd involve going to a doctor and, once you do that, it's a slippery slope to having "conditions" and someone else having a say in your drug intake. Better not to burden the NHS (or local equivalent).
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:28 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that it's considered routine screening this side of the Atlantic whereas in the UK you would have to have risk factors or symptoms to warrant one.

I wonder whist the detection rate vs risk of complication balance is
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that it's considered routine screening this side of the Atlantic whereas in the UK you would have to have risk factors or symptoms to warrant one.
Clearly another imperative for finding a UK trained GP.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:38 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Clearly another imperative for finding a UK trained GP.
I was delighted to find a couple of years ago that the regular screening here, in the absence of other risk factors, doesn't begin til you're 50. I had been led to believe it was earlier than that; I have a few more years to anticipate the pleasure.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:22 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder whist the detection rate vs risk of complication balance is
My brother-in-law is a consultant in public health in the UK. He tells me that, from a statistical perspective, is is not an effective screening process. Whilst almost all men die with prostate cancer, very few die of it. The chances of dying as a result of complications from unnecessary treatment are greater than the chances of dying of undetected cancer.

I therefore decline to allow a doctor to stick his finger up my bum.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:33 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough , dad decided that 72 was too young to die , especially given that he still has his faculties very much intact.

That and the fact he's determined to outlive his knee implant
+1 on this story. I found out that my dad had prostate cancer (at age 70) the day I landed in Canada as a PR. Fortunately his treatment was successful and didn't involve hairloss or too much in the way of other indignities.

Once you are of the age, the digital experience (or at the very least a PSA test) is a neccessary evil IMHO.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:41 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
My brother-in-law is a consultant in public health in the UK. He tells me that, from a statistical perspective, is is not an effective screening process. Whilst almost all men die with prostate cancer, very few die of it. The chances of dying as a result of complications from unnecessary treatment are greater than the chances of dying of undetected cancer.

I therefore decline to allow a doctor to stick his finger up my bum.
There was an article in the NY Times a couple of days ago about over diagnosis especially for prostate screening. The same has been said about breast screening too. More cancers are found but no-one knows how long those cancers would have taken to before they became symptomatic and whether or not the outcome is better if discovered sooner.

That said my father died from prostate cancer aged 74. It wasn't easy.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:53 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus

That said my father died from prostate cancer aged 74. It wasn't easy.
Sorry to hear that. I know it is rotten way to go.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Sorry to hear that. I know it is rotten way to go.
I suppose this is picky but what is the preferred way to go?
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:11 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Peacefully in your sleep like my grandfather , not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!

Sorry
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:26 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose this is picky but what is the preferred way to go?
If I recall the banned / deleted thread correctly, it involves an open topped sportscar, a pneumatic blonde, a californian road and stimulation of an oral nature.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:54 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
If I recall the banned / deleted thread correctly, it involves an open topped sportscar, a pneumatic blonde, a californian road and stimulation of an oral nature.
This is all very well, and perhaps mildly stimulating, but please keep in mind that an ugly, short, South African MD will be poking his pinky up my rectum on Monday.

I hope he enjoys it.

Last year he said in a smarmy voice, "it's enlarged, but that's normal".

I've worried since about what he was referring to.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 11th 2011 at 1:56 am.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
What a bizarre thread. Still, Dr House went to Cambridge didnt he, and hes a diagnostic whiz. Well, eventually, after all those false starts and near deaths anyway
He was better as Bertie Wooster (as an actor, not a doctor).
Old Feb 11th 2011, 2:07 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by johnh009
He was better as Bertie Wooster (as an actor, not a doctor).
<Attempts to link the PG Wodehouse & Prostate parts of this thread>

"Top Hole Jeeves!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.