Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Columbia or Alberta

British Columbia or Alberta

Old May 11th 2011, 3:55 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Columbia or Alberta

Originally Posted by helcat12
It isn't wrong to want a change and so why not make it a bigger change? Posters who say the UK is better than Canada or vice versa are both wrong, because it isn't about the place, it is about how you feel about the place.
Unlike you, I love the place we live in the UK - the Derbyshire countryside is spectacular and we live right in it, but it is a little oasis of loveliness and every time I have to step into the 'real world' here I hate it!
Sometimes you just need to leave and go somewhere different. If you hate where you are, sometimes different is just good enough to begin with!
If later you find your desire for the UK is rekindled, then you can come back. Sometimes I read the forums and it seems like people present it is a one way ticket or speak as if there is one empirically better country. It isn't and there isn't.
It depends on you and what you want and how you feel NOW. You will find good things in Canada and it sounds like the change will be reviving for you.
I agree. The post you quote looks to be a mindset issue in that they can't see the wood for the trees. A change is often good to see the wood again*

*That's what she said.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
nothing wrong with Edmonton..im not one of these people who like to slate the place..today its sunny and warm everything is green...im saying the UK is a match for Canada..in every sense of the word..to live/work/scenery as you put it.
There's nothing to compare to the Rockies in the UK. Not even close. And I've lived in and travelled around both places. The UK is about a third of the size of Alberta, I can't see too many people arguing the point.
Old May 13th 2011, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
There's nothing to compare to the Rockies in the UK. Not even close. And I've lived in and travelled around both places. The UK is about a third of the size of Alberta, I can't see too many people arguing the point.
The Cuillin Ridge on the Isle of Skye is, pound for pound, as impressive as anything in the Rockies. The Rockies go on forever, but little of it is picturesque.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Our decision:

Calgary vs Vancouver:

Calgary: Job Offer
Vancouver: No Job Offer.

Not saying there's no jobs in Vancouver, just it's probably eaiser to get started in Calgary.

That said, I'd move to Vancouver in a heartbeat if I could guarantee a good job and a steady income as the climate and general quality of life appears to be better.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The Cuillin Ridge on the Isle of Skye is, pound for pound, as impressive as anything in the Rockies. The Rockies go on forever, but little of it is picturesque.
Yeah I partly agree. Though I'd say that the Rockies are indeed beautiful but then again so are the mountains in Scotland going from Loch Lomond up to Fort William.

I just don't really find mountains all that impressive to be honest because I grew up with them. It's kind of the same way that some of my Canadian friends go on and on about castles in Scotland. Whatever, castles are boring when you walk past them every day as a kid to go to school. Just part of the landscape.
Old May 13th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xxdb
Our decision:

Calgary vs Vancouver:

Calgary: Job Offer
Vancouver: No Job Offer.

Not saying there's no jobs in Vancouver, just it's probably eaiser to get started in Calgary.

That said, I'd move to Vancouver in a heartbeat if I could guarantee a good job and a steady income as the climate and general quality of life appears to be better.
With OP's hubbies trade, I would say Alberta is an absolute no-brainer IMO. If I were you I'd go to AB, make some money, take some trips to BC/Vancouver and see how you feel over time.

BTW, there should be a proviso (*by Canadian standards) when people say the climate appears to be better in Vancouver. Yes it isn't a frozen wasteland for 6m, it just rains for 6m or feels like it.

When people say that Vancouver's climate is the best in Canada, what they are really saying is that it has the least cold winters. It's a bit like someone saying that place x is the coolest part of the Sahara desert. Yes well it's bloody hot isn't it?
Old May 13th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Growing season also differs between Calgary and Vancouver - a trivial matter, yes, but if you want flowers blooming in March and April, you're probably not going to find that happening anywhere else in Canada. Vancouver's a very green, lush city. Calgary's a lot more arid, and with shorter growing season, doesn't have the same kind of vegetation. It's something you take for granted in the UK, but you really notice it when you travel around in the "spring" months in Canada. There's a different definition of spring here.
Old May 14th 2011, 12:43 am
Just Joined

matt-tasha will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brizzle
With OP's hubbies trade, I would say Alberta is an absolute no-brainer IMO. If I were you I'd go to AB, make some money, take some trips to BC/Vancouver and see how you feel over time.

BTW, there should be a proviso (*by Canadian standards) when people say the climate appears to be better in Vancouver. Yes it isn't a frozen wasteland for 6m, it just rains for 6m or feels like it.

When people say that Vancouver's climate is the best in Canada, what they are really saying is that it has the least cold winters. It's a bit like someone saying that place x is the coolest part of the Sahara desert. Yes well it's bloody hot isn't it?
Hahaha thats exactly what me and the hubby thought!! Alberta it is!!
Old May 16th 2011, 5:13 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Columbia Icefields? Lake Louise? Waterton Lakes? And outside of the rockies, what about things like Niagara Falls, Bay of Fundy, Ouiatchouane Falls, etc. Sorry, but Canada beats the UK for natural beauty hands down.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:40 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Sorry, but Canada beats the UK for natural beauty hands down.
Define natural beauty
Old May 16th 2011, 6:37 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Define natural beauty
ive yet to see a natural beauty in Canada
Old May 17th 2011, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

MrFusion will become famous soon enoughMrFusion will become famous soon enough

I couldn't disagree more! Based on what you've told us, it is definitely NOT a "no brainer" to choose Alberta above British Columbia.

A better way to ensure you make the right decision is to ask yourself this question:

If the same job was available in both places, where would you choose?

Your answer determines what you should do. Aim for the life you want and find a way to make that work by getting the job in the right location. Don't do it the other way around (i.e. try to make a life based on the location of the job). There will be plenty of employment opportunities for a skilled industrial electrician in both places. Life is short. If there's one thing I've learned it's this: You can never get the life you dreamed of by making decisions based on fear of what might go wrong.

It is dangerous for anyone to suggest you can "try out" one place or the other first. It's really not that simple. You only know what it's like living somewhere by actually physically living there. Once you've settled in, life takes over and roots get established. By not being fully committed to the first place you choose, you could waste years living the 'wrong' life to the one you actually came here to get. Then you'd face a lingering regret at not following your heart in the first place. This is magnified by the enormous contrast in social values, work life balance, climate and scenery between your two options. They are worlds apart in all these things and you need to choose what's best for you and your family.

Regardless of what anyone says, you really need to visit both places before you can understand how different BC is to Alberta. Personally, everything you've said about scenery, clean air, safety, community and lifestyle screams of BC, but you need to come here and see. Many Brits find that once they've been here, they never want to go anywhere else (I am definitely one). By the way - the climate here is great (more on this in a moment!). Don't base anything on house prices either. You can live in the best areas of Vancouver by renting (most people do here) but if you must buy a property, there are outrageous deals on huge ocean view homes to be had if you can commute to Vancouver from just up the North coast. Finally, it's not as expensive to live here as people make out. Some things are more but many are less. All I can tell you is my wife and I live outrageously better here, on a lower total income, than we did in the UK.

Now, about the weather!...

This is just wrong!

Take it from a Brit who lives here in Vancouver. You want the truth?

It doesn't rain here as much as they say it does.

There, I said it.

I was given similar misinformation about the Vancouver climate before I came here and it really put a false downer on the place. The reality is quite different to the myth! I couldn't say that I've noticed that much more rain here than I was used to in Britain. Maybe it rains harder and more at night, but nothing that I would moan about.

Here are some of the other things they never mentioned about Vancouver weather:
  • The AMAZING summers. They are like childhood rose-tinted memories of long, hot British summers made real again. (I'm not joking - my Father-in-law independently said exactly the same thing). Virtually rain-free for 3 months. Picnics. BBQs. Sunbathing. Beaches. Internal cities in Canada can be stifling hot in summer - but here the Pacific air is always fresh and you can even go up a mountain to cool off.
  • The brief spell of very pretty snow, typically arriving just before Christmas each year. Max depth usually only about 3 inches. This is snow you can build snowmen with (as opposed to the deeply frozen dry powder snow you get in the centre of Canada).
  • The winter (Nov to Feb) when you'll hear people claim it rains "constantly", actually brings plenty of crisp, frosty, CLEAR AND SUNNY days. Nobody seems to publicise these!
  • The lovely Autumns or Springs - which feel just as they should (to a Brit) where a few days of rain are typically followed by a few days of sun.
  • The September rain conveniently falling at night - leaving mostly warm sunny days with occasional showers.
In short:
It does NOT rain solidly for six months in Vancouver - and it certainly does NOT feel as if it's raining all the time.

No, Vancouver's climate is TOTALLY different to anywhere in the rest of Canada. Whereas Vancouver's weather is quite familiar to anyone from Britain, the rest of Canada is something very alien and extreme to us. This is most apparent in winter - and so you really need to understand what you're getting into if you choose Alberta. Don't let anyone tell you that the weather is remotely similar!

Vancouver (very British style winters):
  • Maybe 3 inches of snow which hangs around for about 1 or 2 weeks in December
  • A warm winter day is +10 C
  • A cold winter day is -5 C
  • Mainly grey skies, plenty of rain, broken by clear frosty sunny days.
Everywhere in Canada apart from Vancouver:
  • 3 to 12 FEET of continual snow cover from November to March
  • A warm winter day is -20C
  • A cold winter day is -40C
  • Lots of major snow storms
So my advice based on my own happy experience is BC weather will be a lot less of a shock!

In summary, whether you pick BC or Alberta, never for a second doubt your decision to move to Canada. Don't listen to the worry-merchants who are so eager to sow seeds of doubt and share horror stories. What you want from life is really here, but you have to stay positive and aim high! Canada is a wonderful country and my own life, my sense of hope, my mood and standard of living have sky-rocketed from day one. Moving here from Britain was like having a weight lifted and a future restored. I can assure you that, for once, the grass IS actually greener.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Before everyone starts jumping all over your post I have to say what a great first one.

90% of it is what I would have posted if I hadn't given up.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrFusion
Everywhere in Canada apart from Vancouver:
  • 3 to 12 FEET of continual snow cover from November to March Absolutely not true!!!
  • A warm winter day is -20C Once again absolutely not true.
  • A cold winter day is -40C Happens so seldom that is almost as untrue as the other two above.
  • Lots of major snow storms Once more absolutely not true.
You were doing so well until this ^^^. At that point you blew any credibility you had right out of the water.

Why? Because you are propagating the same misconceptions about the rest of Canada that you so rightly argued against in regards to Vancouver's weather.

Last edited by Steve_P; May 17th 2011 at 11:28 pm.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MrFusion;9370965]Everywhere in Canada apart from Vancouver:
  • 3 to 12 FEET of continual snow cover from November to March
  • A warm winter day is -20C
  • A cold winter day is -40C
  • Lots of major snow storms
I don't disagree with much of your post; but I do disagree with this

Just about to post this when I saw Steve P had popped up- posting anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.