Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British & Canadian citizen - travel insurance??

British & Canadian citizen - travel insurance??

Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

rosay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British & Canadian citizen - travel insurance??

Hello all

Hope someone can help, I've tried the IEC facebook group and have emailed CIC but they weren't helpful!

My boyfriend and I are moving to Toronto at the end of May. I have an IEC visa. My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen due to his mum being Canadian, but he has never lived in Canada. He was born and has always lived in the UK.

I know that I need travel insurance as part of my IEC terms and conditions, but does my boyfriend also need travel insurance?? We have a one way ticket and we hope never to return if it all goes well!!

Thanks
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British & Canadian citizen - travel insurance??

No, he doesn't, although he may need some interim insurance until OHIP kicks in - check to see if he'd be eligible straight away, or if there's a 3 month period before he is.

You know that your bf could have sponsored you for PR if you've lived together for a year or more? That would be a much more secure option than an IEC if you plan to move permanently.

HTH.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

rosay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, he doesn't, although he may need some interim insurance until OHIP kicks in - check to see if he'd be eligible straight away, or if there's a 3 month period before he is.

You know that your bf could have sponsored you for PR if you've lived together for a year or more? That would be a much more secure option than an IEC if you plan to move permanently.

HTH.
Thank you so much. I will look in to the OHIP. He is much more accident prone than me so I really want to make sure he's covered!!

We did look in to the PR option but because of the cost we decided to go with me on IEC first. I think I want to trial one winter before I decide if I wan to stay permanently!!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 3:54 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is both the poster and her partner are counted the same despite one being a citizen and one not.

They'll both arrive at the same time and both become eligible for OHIP at the same time. I believe they can apply for OHIP after being in Ontario for 3 months.

The difference will be the original poster, as a "foreigner" will need insurance that covers the IEC permit and the repatriation requirements.

The partner who is a Canadian citizen probably only needs insurance for the first few months.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Since has has never lived in Ontario, then he would not be eligible for OHIP straight away. He will be subject to a 3 month waiting period until OHIP coverage kicks in.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...aiting_pd.aspx
Old May 1st 2014, 2:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vancouverite85
It can be less than 3 months I believe, depending on when exactly does the person arrive. If the person arrives at the end of the month, then he will only have to wait the rest of the month + 2 months.

So in theory the waiting period can be reduced to just 2 months- some insurance savings right there

In case anyone is interested...
Incorrect for OHIP I am afraid, unless you were coming from another Province. Examples below.

a) If you move to Ontario from another country:

The waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. If you are an eligible temporary resident, such as a foreign worker who meets the citizenship and residence requirements described in Ontario's Health Insurance Act, the waiting period begins on the date you establish residence in Ontario.

Your coverage begins when the waiting period ends - after three calendar months.

January 15 -------- April 15
May 3 --------- August 3
November 30 -------- February 28

b) If you move to Ontario from another province or territory where you had provincial/territorial health insurance coverage:

If you move to Ontario directly from another province and apply for coverage, your OHIP coverage will begin on the first day of the third month after establishing residence in Ontario, provided you were insured in your previous province or territory.
Old May 1st 2014, 3:06 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Incorrect for OHIP I am afraid, unless you were coming from another Province. Examples below.

a) If you move to Ontario from another country:

The waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. If you are an eligible temporary resident, such as a foreign worker who meets the citizenship and residence requirements described in Ontario's Health Insurance Act, the waiting period begins on the date you establish residence in Ontario.

Your coverage begins when the waiting period ends - after three calendar months.

January 15 -------- April 15
May 3 --------- August 3
November 30 -------- February 28

b) If you move to Ontario from another province or territory where you had provincial/territorial health insurance coverage:

If you move to Ontario directly from another province and apply for coverage, your OHIP coverage will begin on the first day of the third month after establishing residence in Ontario, provided you were insured in your previous province or territory.
What was quoted was correct for BC, but not ON. In BC the waiting period is the balance of the month in which you register, plus the two successive months. This applies to all newcomers to BC.
Old May 1st 2014, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

fitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud of

We used a company called Blue cross for our 3 month insurance gap with OHIP when we landed

Roj