Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British-based daughter to study in Canada - costs

British-based daughter to study in Canada - costs

Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British-based daughter to study in Canada - costs

My bilingual (French/English) daughter (19, UK passport, 2 A levels) eventually wants to live in Canada. Are there any affordable universities, perhaps even in the French part of Canada. Part time work could supplement my contribution. Any advice/suggestions please?
Old Oct 17th 2018, 7:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British-based daughter to study in Canada - costs

Originally Posted by magnification
My bilingual (French/English) daughter (19, UK passport, 2 A levels) eventually wants to live in Canada. Are there any affordable universities, perhaps even in the French part of Canada. Part time work could supplement my contribution. Any advice/suggestions please?
There are lots of universities in Canada, costs vary with the school and the course taken. One of my children went to Concordia (an English language university in Montreal) and later McGill (another English language university in Montreal). I don't know if she learned anything from that but I learned that, in Quebec, after the first year students count as "resident in Province" which is hugely different than "international" and even "resident out of Province" in terms of cost. I believe that, in some other Provinces, "foreign" is still "foreign" for the full four years.

She initially worked part time in a branch of Premiere Moisson before graduating to being a bagel bagger in a famous deli. I don't know if such prestigious work is available to those who don't have a Canadian passport.

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 17th 2018 at 7:28 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Costs for foreign students are incredibly high at most universities across Canada ....... they basically subsidise the costs for students who are Canadian residents and citizens.

The best thing is for you to identify some universities offering the subject(s) and degree(s) that your daughter would like to take, go to the website, and check to costs.

Be aware that 2 A levels may not be enough for her to gain entrance ............. most Canadian students are offering graduation from Grade 12, with 6 or more subjects, and many university faculties are not offering places to students with less than a B+, or even A-, across the board.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 10:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Costs for foreign students are incredibly high at most universities across Canada ....... they basically subsidise the costs for students who are Canadian residents and citizens.

The best thing is for you to identify some universities offering the subject(s) and degree(s) that your daughter would like to take, go to the website, and check to costs.

Be aware that 2 A levels may not be enough for her to gain entrance ............. most Canadian students are offering graduation from Grade 12, with 6 or more subjects, and many university faculties are not offering places to students with less than a B+, or even A-, across the board.
I think 2 A levels would be enough for someone who is going to pay international fees.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the requirements for an international student ......

............. although. I would note that I needed 3 A levels at B+ or higher to attend a British university back in the early 60s. Two at any grade were not sufficient even back then.

Last edited by scilly; Oct 18th 2018 at 12:14 am.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

I Googled the requirements at UBC for an International student at undergraduate level ..........

https://you.ubc.ca/applying-ubc/inte...united-kingdom

GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS (United Kingdom [same requirements as British-patterned education])

• Graduation from a university-preparatory program at a senior secondary school: Standing in at least six academic subject areas, including English, with at least three UBC-approved academic A Levels (or six at the Advanced Subsidiary Level). A subject may not be counted at both the A Level and the GCSE Level (O Level). A Level and AS Level courses that are not sufficiently academic in content (as determined by UBC) cannot be used.
  • Admission average calculated on final year academic courses/exams: Your admission average is calculated on at least two GCSEs (O Levels) and three GCE A Levels (or six Advanced Subsidiary Levels).
If you studied British-patterned education, you may be eligible for first-year credit at UBC

In addition to these basic requirements, different faculties have different requirments that are usually MORE strict than above.