Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Bacon - where to get TO area

British Bacon - where to get TO area

Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:47 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Bacon - where to get TO area

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yeah but I've some jeezly love for me salt beef, bye. Food from home, everyone wants it. The thesis isn't flawed in suggesting that the Irish like mashed stuff but in claiming that there's anything special about that. Presumably geordies crave coal or coke or whatever it is that passes for grub up there. The rest of the English want their curries and kebabs.
Oi, someone piss on your cornflakes this morning? Stop ruining the moment.

Oink has carefully selected a well written and thoroughly researched examination of the importance of decent bread and mashed things to the displaced, downtrodden masses. It further highlights my feelings that this supposed holy grail of bacon, known as british bacon, is in fact a bit rubbish. Even peasants from o'er yonder don't want to eat it. Bring on the peameal, I say.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada

Oink has carefully selected a well written and thoroughly researched examination of the importance of decent bread and mashed things to the displaced, downtrodden masses. It further highlights my feelings that this supposed holy grail of bacon, known as british bacon, is in fact a bit rubbish. Even peasants from o'er yonder don't want to eat it. Bring on the peameal, I say.
A sentiment which echoes endlessly through cyberspace.

http://blog.genemoy.com/category/soc...ations/page/4/
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy enough with peameal myself, dya know I once took some to France so as to make a sandwich with great bacon and quality bread? Nonetheless, when in Camden I eat and enjoy the local pig parts, "a bit rubbish" seems harsh.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:18 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Aha. Finally an authoritative contribution to the thread.

How's the bacon on the Rock?
Disappointing. Choice is Loblaws peameal (meh), Costco's back (meh) or Larson back. (bleh). No fancy markets here. One learns to live without decent bacon, but like the lack of Real Ale, it's a constant nagging torment.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:24 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm happy enough with peameal myself, dya know I once took some to France so as to make a sandwich with great bacon and quality bread? Nonetheless, when in Camden I eat and enjoy the local pig parts, "a bit rubbish" seems harsh.
Philistine. In France ask for "tranches fines" and buy your own baguette.

On edit: If I may take the opportunity to tell an amusing tale to a receptive audience? My English (Geordie) brother-in-law, who used to have a holiday cottage in Normandy, would go each morning to the local butcher to get his breakfast bacon. "Tranches fines" said he. "Certainment, m'sieur" said the butcher, "Avec ceci?" "Non", said b-i-l, "Sans saucis".

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jan 13th 2010 at 1:30 am.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:56 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, but I think its really just a couple of grad students trying it on, with an overly indulgent tutor.