Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Bacon - where to get TO area

British Bacon - where to get TO area

Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:14 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Bacon - where to get TO area

Originally Posted by Oink
Its not racial, its because you're probably drunk.
Yes. But not thanks to Guinness. Tequila, perhaps.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I disagree. Baps are the way to go. That's how they do it at St Lawrence after all, the mecca for breakfast in a bun.
For you, I fetch baps. For myself, crust is important. That's why, in the market, the Carousel is better than Paddington's, if the Carousel isn't too busy they'll use a kaiser; at Paddington's they think baps are the only way. The Carousel embraces diversity.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
For you, I fetch baps. For myself, crust is important. That's why, in the market, the Carousel is better than Paddington's, if the Carousel isn't too busy they'll use a kaiser; at Paddington's they think baps are the only way. The Carousel embraces diversity.
Isn't Paddingtons the cafe place attached to the market? With an interesting supply of liquor for a breakfast place? I mean the stall, they use baps.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Paddingtons the cafe place attached to the market? With an interesting supply of liquor for a breakfast place?
That's the one.

I mean the stall, they use baps.
They default to baps but are negotiable. I don't recall seeing HP there, do you carry your own? The way one does Marmite in America.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

That's the one.

They default to baps but are negotiable. I don't recall seeing HP there, do you carry your own? The way one does Marmite in America.
Doesn't the subject of negotiable baps, lead to the the 'Ive been fined' thread on the Maple Leaf?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Doesn't the subject of negotiable baps, lead to the the 'Ive been fined' thread on the Maple Leaf?
I wouldn't know, I declined to sell mine.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

SesameBun is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I had been posting here when I was in Canada... all the Canadian bacon had so much sugar in it I found it disgusting. Actually, almost everything had too much sugar in it. When I ate a ham sandwich it was like eating candy floss with a lump of meat in it.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:57 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. Baps are the way to go. That's how they do it at St Lawrence after all, the mecca for breakfast in a bun.
I somehow think you might find it hard to get a bacon sarnie in Mecca.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:23 pm

I don't recall seeing HP there, do you carry your own?
I do not. They have brown sauce which is grand. Honestly, people have such lofty expectations. British bacon this, crusty bap that.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:51 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

Fantastic thread, has made me
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I do not. They have brown sauce which is grand. Honestly, people have such lofty expectations. British bacon this, crusty bap that.
See we're not the only 'invisible diaspora' that needs proper bacon.

From a paper, Food, Gender and Irishness

"Some interviewees [Irish women] described searching for particular foods from home or having specific things brought over. For example, one woman always brings some Irish bacon back to England as "you cannot get the bacon here."

Bacon Paper
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
See we're not the only 'invisible diaspora' that needs proper bacon.

From a paper, Food, Gender and Irishness

"Some interviewees [Irish women] described searching for particular foods from home or having specific things brought over. For example, one woman always brings some Irish bacon back to England as "you cannot get the bacon here."

Bacon Paper

Hilarious that you found such a article, but an interesting read nontheless. It appears to echo my sentiments of earlier, British bacon is crap.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We are in UK at the moment and enjoying the usual back bacon but when we get back to Ontario that will be end of bacon for who knows when we'll be back in UK.

I know it is expensive and would only buy once in a while but question is where is there a British food shop that sells it? I just did a search on past threads and somebody said there is a butcher in Scarborough so I wonder if he imports bacon. No probably not.

Any help would be appreciated.
I tried bacon from the British shop; that one in scarboro supplies places in Prbo and Port Hope. Anyway it's vile and the black pudding is double vile. I think they even call it Wiltshire cure, which is laughable.

That new Maple leaf one in the hard container is actually pretty good and close to supermarket British bacon. I have bought bacon on the Farmer's Market in Pboro from an Italian and that is nice. Otherwise try Costco for better quality Canadian bacon.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I go the dbd route and get Danish smoked bacon from Granville Island market. Its not brilliant but then I don't eat it more than once every couple of months. Quite frankly I don't why I'm moaning about it so much.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Hilarious that you found such a article, but an interesting read nontheless. It appears to echo my sentiments of earlier, British bacon is crap.
I think this paper propogates a notion of the Irish as being unique that it is unable to sustain through the food examples given.

Granted "food consumption practices can help to reflect and constitute Irishness" but is this true to any greater degree than for other diasporic populations? I suggest not. My detailed and extended studies of the Swiss and Southern American populations in Southern Ontario suggest that bathtub schnapps, raclet, pulled pork and crucially, grits, occupy a similar position in the cultural conciousness of those populations as does champ and colcannon in that of the displaced Irish. And these are not tight knit displaced populations, one might look at Italians in New York or Eastern Europeans in Winnipeg for communities bound around pasta and perogies.

The author's point that the foods symbolic to the Irish abroad are those of the poor is, I think, reduced to banality by consideration of the examples above; the cultural tie is always to the food of the poor. The Londoner returning as a tourist is damp eyed over jellied eels even as he eats mussels.

The sending of foods from home is in no way specifically Irish, the Swiss send Chocolate, the Americans grits and peppers. Knowledge of the preparation of foods traditional to those cultures is gleaned on trips home and is equally valued in a new land as is an Irishwoman's mashing prowess.

My knowledge of the role of speciality food in the narrative of feminism within the diasporic Swiss and Southern American womyn's communities is insufficient to allow comparison with the views advanced in the article quoted. I suggest that the gender roles described are no more pronounced among the displaced Irish than among other populations but, in order to consider the issue at length I need a large grant; pay it in Black Bush if you will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.