Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

brit couple to be deported from NS

brit couple to be deported from NS

Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:57 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brit couple to be deported from NS

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Hi!!

I guess we all have to re-think then!

I believe not everybody needs a medical going through skilled TWP whilst awaiting PR???

I think it's only for people who working with children or a nurses/doctor and or employers who request it??

Perhaps we all need to a medical check/advice clearance before entering Canada?

Any thoughts??

Angela
Not sure if I understood that bit correctly but everyone has to go through a medical while waiting for their PR visas.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:25 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

WP - medical not needed unlesss particular field of work as stated. But eventually if you wanted to stay, yes you would need a medical completed for PR as Paul states.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

I feel for them but the point in the article where the father said 'it's not a crime to have a disability' (when talking about the reason his daughter was refused entry) made me think he's taking it the wrong way - no it's not a crime to be disabled but when emigrating to a new country that country does have the right to refuse someone entry on the grounds that they will / may drain the medical system. He made it sound like they were being discriminated against. The Canadian government are just protecting their coffers. I doubt if they had successfully emigrated they could promise never to take a penny in handouts for their daughter's condition, could they now...?

And you can't expect to move to a new country and have the taxpayers of that country pay for any existing medical conditions you or your family have. They didn't ask you to come, did they?

I'm sorry, I don't want this to sound harsh, it just seemed to me they were playing the 'prejudice' card

Anyway, if they can prove they're not going to be a drain on Canada's economy then I hope they make it back over and stay for good, and I wish them the best, whatever happens

Anita
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi!!

Yes that's right, eventually!!!!

So why not beforehand? That's why I'm saying have one done regardless, then you'll know for sure if you pass the medical before leaving the UK.

I believe medicals are valid for a year!!!

So if you want to know for SURE you could have one done whilst on your WP and awaiting PR application being approved. Some skilled workers on WP are having their PR application fast tracked within 6 - 12 months!!

Maybe it's not necessary for some people but if you're in doubt you have an option.

Another option is to have an immigration lawyer to act on your behalf and prove that whoever will not be a drain on the system or simply get advice from the lawyer.

Just my thoughts!!

Angela
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:15 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

As much as one feels sympathy for the family and their dreams, there are many issues in such cases. It is not just immediate care, but long term. What happens to the person when the parents can no longer look after them? Can they be self sufficient or does the state have to take over their care? Which is not inexpensive and we are hearing about one case, how many others do we not hear about?

A very difficult situation for them and CBSA.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Remembering of course that the family already had a safe home and a safe life before coming to Canada, whereas the asylum seeker (if genuine) doesn't have that safe home and safe life - hence the term asylum seeker.
Don't get me wrong, I don't really have a problem with "genuine" asylum seekers being granted entry (although their choice of Canda does sort of raise some alarm bells since it's not the most convenient country to physically get to from most of the countries that have no respect for human rights). What gets my goat is that Canada appears to allow easy entry to far too many groups who have little chance of adding either to the coffers or to the skill set.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:23 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!!

Yes that's right, eventually!!!!

So why not beforehand? That's why I'm saying have one done regardless, then you'll know for sure if you pass the medical before leaving the UK.

I believe medicals are valid for a year!!!

So if you want to know for SURE you could have one done whilst on your WP and awaiting PR application being approved. Some skilled workers on WP are having their PR application fast tracked within 6 - 12 months!!

Maybe it's not necessary for some people but if you're in doubt you have an option.

Another option is to have an immigration lawyer to act on your behalf and prove that whoever will not be a drain on the system or simply get advice from the lawyer.

Just my thoughts!!

Angela
Actually there are some flaws in your premise, Angela. One flaw is that you seem to be under the impression that the doctor who does the medical exam makes the determination. That is not the case. The doctor does the medical exam and then sends his/her notes to the relevant Canadian government authorities. It is the relevant Canadian government authorities, not the doctor, who make the determination. The relevant Canadian government authorities, in turn, will not look at the examining doctor's notes until you have reached the appropriate stage of the immigration process. That is, you are not supposed to go for an immigration medical until they tell you to do so.

Another premise you're working on is that an immigration lawyer can satisfy the relevant Canadian government authorities that you will not be a drain on the Canadian medical system. That is not the case. There is not a lawyer in the world who can predict how Citizenship and Immigration Canada will rule in a given case. I have seen members of this forum with what I thought were serious medical conditions being accepted as permanent residents and other members of the forum with what I thought were minor (and fully cured) medical conditions being rejected. Admittedly I'm a layperson and not a medical professional. Still, there have been cases in which CIC's determination has absolutely stumped me.

But the bottom line is that, while it would be very nice if your idea could be implemented, I don't think it can be.
x
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Judy!!

Well I really thought having a medical done prior would give a good indication everything would be OK!!

I guess We'll have to sit it out and wait and take our chances. Seems mad though something can't be done prior. Surely something can be done? I cannot believe it, knowingly we'll possibly go through all that process/expense and finding out we may/mayn't pass on a medical for whatever reason. Along with the other factors.

I guess that's the beauty of waiting for PR before moving!!

What do others' classify as a drain on the system?? How deep do people want to go, we as a society have to be careful about being too prejudice. What are social norms these days??

Away thanks for the info!!

Angela
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well I really thought having a medical done prior would give a good indication everything would be OK!!

I guess We'll have to sit it out and wait and take our chances. Seems mad though something can't be done prior. Surely something can be done? I cannot believe it, knowingly we'll possibly go through all that process/expense and finding out we may/mayn't pass on a medical for whatever reason. Along with the other factors.

What do others' classify as a drain on the system?? How deep do people want to go, we as a society have to be careful about being too prejudice. What are social norms these days??
Even if you did have a medical now as you suggest then there is still the real possibility that you could develop some disease before you were granted PR at some time in the distant future. That is why a medical is only valid for 12 months. Are you suggesting medicals should be open-ended?

Last edited by fuschiagirl; Jul 29th 2008 at 5:09 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:31 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Judy!!

Away thanks for the info!!

Angela
Well, as Judy says, it isnt the doctor that makes the decision about your admissibility but a CIC officer. So if you already had a condition of some kind that you knew about then a medical wouldnt help much. The doctor would obviously identify that you had it (but you already knew that anyway) but couldnt tell you if CIC would feel the condition would place "excessive demand" on the health system.

However, you could have a medical to see if you had a condition that you didnt already know about. In which case you would be forewarned before going through the long wait in the immigration queue.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Another premise you're working on is that an immigration lawyer can satisfy the relevant Canadian government authorities that you will not be a drain on the Canadian medical system. That is not the case. There is not a lawyer in the world who can predict how Citizenship and Immigration Canada will rule in a given case.
Maybe there aren't, but there certainly ought to be a few out there who have dealt with enough cases to have a fairly good view of what the chances would be. I know a couple who do this kind of work for Australian immigration.

Although it does seem that in Canada, the specific medical criteria are a state secret, which makes it a lot harder for professional advisors to operate.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi!!

I wouldn't say open-ended!! but if you time it right near to PR or if you know that PR could be fast tracked you could get a medical done prior to be sure there's no underlying deceases.

I think on the whole we all think we are fit and well, but what if you smoke or a person has an underlying problem we don't know about??? Surely a medical would give some clues that one part of the immigration process will be possibly be ok??

Anyway it sounds like you have to wait for the relevant forms!! But I thought I read you could have one done and it would be valid for the year??

Yeah I think its crazy to submit your forms if knowingly you have lung/heart problems or a disability they could potentially drain the system!! But what do I know, who knows what they accept???

Like I say just have to take your chances!!

Angela
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

but what if you smoke
Political correctness gawn mahd, innit.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I think its crazy to submit your forms if knowingly you have lung/heart problems or a disability they could potentially drain the system!! But what do I know, who knows what they accept???
That's not crazy, it's worth a shot. Like Judy said, some people I've thought haven't a chance in hell have got PR visas. What's crazy is being refused on medical grounds and thinking you can just go ahead with your move anyway... as if the immigration visa is an irrelevancy
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Hi!!

Yeah I think its crazy to submit your forms if knowingly you have lung/heart problems or a disability they could potentially drain the system!! Angela
Any lung problems would be picked up on the x-ray. However, anyone can lie and say they don't smoke - no-one would know they're lying unless they have any conditions arising from their smoking. Then they could get into Canada, keep smoking and possibly develop a condition later in life. Or someone could genuinely be a non-smoker / ex-smoker, and once in Canada decide they want to start smoking or want to pick up the habit again.

Who can tell if someone really is a smoker? (assuming they don't have the tell-tale signs of yellow fingers and smelly clothes, of course)

Anita

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.