Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing up a family in Alberta

Bringing up a family in Alberta

Old Apr 23rd 2018, 9:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing up a family in Alberta

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I am at work and I haven't taken any pictures recently.

However, here are two of our dogs after and during training recently.

The first is part of our drive and you can see the snowbanks and part of one field in the background, the other is at a neighbour's place where the dogs train.

FWIW, our lawn is virtually clear of snow and has green shoots of grass coming through. Some of our fields still have a foot or so of snow on them. It is melting and, with the temps forecast for this week (up to 20 I believe) it will be gone in a day or two.

I have never experienced the extreme hailstorms/thunderstorms or tornadoes that Lychee speaks of, nor have I heard of them, but then it is likely that I haven't lived in Alberta as long as she has. It was my understanding that the insurance companies in Alberta pay to "seed" the clouds that form east of the Rockies that may become hail clouds and that, since they have done so, the prevalence of damaging hail has reduced massively.
Fine dogs. Although they look like the kind of hounds that would be in the service of Satan

Interesting that they can control storm clouds like that.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

https://globalnews.ca/news/3514775/a...eather-summer/

short article on the cloud seeding they do.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 1:43 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
The cold isn’t really an issue- I mean- it is cold! For sure! But as long as you wrap up properly it’s a dry cold so it doesn’t make your bones ache.
The main problem with it is the dryness. RH drops to zero. When it's lower than -10 then it's very hard to get a decent RH inside the house as it all just freezes to the windows.

This is the main problem I have explaining the weather to people in the UK - it gets too cold to snow. There is no moisture in the air.

In the years I've lived here what happens with a lot of immigrants is that they hack the first winter, then during the second winter they realize it's like this every winter (or worse) and then they leave. Or you get people who've lived in Calgary a long time and they've developed all these weird psychological coping mechanisms, like: "Oh this is really bad, but I remember when it was even worse!"

Great that you love the outdoors but imx the usual approach most people have to coping with winter is to lock themselves in the basement with a flat screen and watch hockey.

The best Rick Mercer video ever imo is this one:

Old Apr 24th 2018, 1:54 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Summer is peppered with extreme thunderstorms and hailstorms, which sometimes morph into tornado warnings. This is the reality for most of Alberta. Likewise, fall is short and it is winter again in November. So while the weather, day to day, might be sunny, the climate is quite different than what you are used to in the UK.
You're forgetting the flooding. If you're moving to Calgary, check the floodplain map.

Flood Hazard Mapping Application

I have to say I'm always non-plussed by people who play down how bad the weather is here, okay yes it's sunny, that's the best thing about it but don't kid yourself about the weather. If the weather was like it is in Vancouver, the population of Calgary would be double what it is, it's that simple.

Here's an example, few years ago I was driving down 22X and the weather was forecast to be -2 and it was 8, so I'd set out thinking to myself how stupid the weather forecast was. Suddenly the temperature dropped to -2 and by "suddenly" I mean in the time it took to drive over the bridge over the Bow River.

The windshield on my car cracked because of it, that's how quickly it got cold.

You hear these stories all the time and as for hail, you do get hail but it's mainly in the foothills.

"This is an announcement from the Alberta Emergency Warning System. Environment Canada is currently monitoring a fast-moving storm producing hail in the area of Sundre. You are advised to immediately take shelter indoors and if you are in a vehicle on a highway, you are advised to leave your vehicle and take shelter in a culvert, do not attempt to drive away from the storm."

That is the kind of thing you get all during the summer. I see cars parked around the neighbourhood with hail damage, I've even got some pictures I took of one. Not only that but I took a picture back in 2008 of a tornado forming right above me, which was a lot of fun.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 1:55 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

And what about this guy?

Canada tornado: Alberta lawn-mowing man defies twister - BBC News
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:51 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You're forgetting the flooding. If you're moving to Calgary, check the floodplain map.

Flood Hazard Mapping Application

I have to say I'm always non-plussed by people who play down how bad the weather is here, okay yes it's sunny, that's the best thing about it but don't kid yourself about the weather. If the weather was like it is in Vancouver, the population of Calgary would be double what it is, it's that simple.

Here's an example, few years ago I was driving down 22X and the weather was forecast to be -2 and it was 8, so I'd set out thinking to myself how stupid the weather forecast was. Suddenly the temperature dropped to -2 and by "suddenly" I mean in the time it took to drive over the bridge over the Bow River.

The windshield on my car cracked because of it, that's how quickly it got cold.

Why would your windshield crack at -2 ? Sure it wasn't some gravel ?
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
A flash freeze? Warm and toasty on the inside of the car suddenly meeting chuffing cold air on the outside? The windshield would have very different temperatures on either side. Crack!
Old Apr 25th 2018, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
My garage is very well insulated and, in the middle of winter, it is usually quite a bit above zero.

Reversing my car out into -30 or so has never caused any of its windows to crack so I have no idea why a difference of 10 degrees would cause this on Steve's vehicle.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Cochrane for 5.5 years. To begin with I tried to be positive about the weather and tell myself that the sun is better than lots of rain etc, and all the stuff people tell you. However I have had 6 winters here now and can't face another one. Two have been long and cold (it went down to -48 around Xmas), and we have had barely any chinooks this winter to warm the area. We had so much snow (I realize nothing compared to the east!), that we couldn't shovel it any higher onto our garden. It was 5-6ft high.
The cold, activities and children... yes there is skiing and many other outdoor activities, however when it is -30 with a nasty wind the kids (most sensibly in my mind) don't want to be out in it. Even -20 is cold on a ski hill. Both my kids at 7&9 are accomplished skiers however they have had enough of it. They don't want to be outside when it gets that cold. This winter they may have played outside for 10mins before they are too cold. This last 10-14 days the weather has changed and they can finally play outside.
There are some lovely things about this country, and some things that are just awful. I'm done with the winters here and will hopefully be back home before another winter starts.
Our town is great, has some lovely things going on, however rent here first. It's expanding very quickly and the roads are not keeping up which has led to some traffic issues. It is also losing it's small town feel. It has however got a great rec centre. Look at schools and make sure they are not overcrowded, they have just opened two new elementary schools but so far no new high schools and I know one of the elementary schools will be at capacity in a year or two already.
The town it closer to the mountains, good for hiking in the summer, we have done some great hikes.
Seriously though, do not underestimate the winter. It is extremely long and cold. Kids get cold pretty quick, and even with hand and foot warmers, face protectors etc it doesn't make it much fun. My husband does wish we had tried BC purely because of the weather.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 2:41 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My garage is very well insulated and, in the middle of winter, it is usually quite a bit above zero.

Reversing my car out into -30 or so has never caused any of its windows to crack so I have no idea why a difference of 10 degrees would cause this on Steve's vehicle.
This. Our garage is heated with its own gas furnace, and usually around 15c all winter. Driving in from the -30 outside has never caused the windshields in any of our vehicles to suddenly crack.

More than a generous serving of hyperbole throughout this thread.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 2:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
This. Our garage is heated with its own gas furnace, and usually around 15c all winter.
Whatever for?

If it's for "undocumented migrants" that seems rather warmer than they need.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 2:49 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Whatever for?
Several reasons. It's fully insulated and finished (the builder finished it like the house - pot lights, knockdown ceiling, same window and door trim as the house, drywalled and painted etc).

So, I spend a fair bit of time working on projects out there. Woodwork, servicing snowboards and skis, brewing beer etc.

Plus, natural gas per GJ is pretty much free here - it's the fixed costs that are expensive (transmission fees, access fees etc) - so an increase in usage is not a proportional increase in billing.

Originally Posted by dbd33
If it's for "undocumented migrants" that seems rather warmer than they need.
They dare not brave the walk through Montana or North Dakota to get here... and frankly, who could blame them

Last edited by Photoplex; Apr 25th 2018 at 2:54 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 3:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Plus, natural gas per GJ is pretty much free here - it's the fixed costs that are expensive (transmission fees, access fees etc) - so an increase in usage is not a proportional increase in billing.
Ah, same with electricity here. Thanks.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 3:21 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i would take Alberta weather over UK weather every time..summers are much better..yes winters are too long..but better than those months of dull drizzly dang dark days of winter back home..or its constantly raining and windy and everything is just damp all the time...the only time i prefer the UK to here is the back end of March and April..you can get some lovely warm spring days with everything comes into bloom...here it can be often cold and wet.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i would take Alberta weather over UK weather every time..summers are much better..yes winters are too long..but better than those months of dull drizzly dang dark days of winter back home..or its constantly raining and windy and everything is just damp all the time...the only time i prefer the UK to here is the back end of March and April..you can get some lovely warm spring days with everything comes into bloom...here it can be often cold and wet.
+1.
One of the major reasons we came to Calgary was for the opportunities for winter sports. Both kids (10 & 6) are in ski racing, we're skiing most weekends from mid-November to now. In 4 seasons I can recall three days when it's been properly cold: -37, -35 and -30. If the ski hill is open, generally the training is on. On the two colder occasions, lift operations started later in the day but the older one was out training. For us, it's about proper clothing and sensible approach to how long you spend out in the cold before coming in for a warm-up.
All kids are different though in how they handle the cold, some of our daughter's teammates suffer badly with the cold, she & others don't, even if they all appear to be properly attired for the conditions. I've seen a few in tears but more just happy to be with their friends, inside or out.

We probably struggle more in the summer to be honest, we don't have AC at home, and days to weeks of continuous +25 and above in August make sleeping at night difficult.

I don't miss UK weather at all. I can count the days where there is constant, drizzly-type rain here on the fingers of one hand throughout the year. Yes, there are days in mid-May to Mid-July with very heavy rain and hail, but it's generally short-lived and everything is dry again in an hour, and the thunderstorms are spectacular to watch, not sure I'd say the same about 2 days of constant rain and 100% grey cloud coverage that I knew in Manchester (or even Buckinghamshire :-) )

Last edited by Bucks_Family; Apr 25th 2018 at 3:54 pm. Reason: older or elder? who knows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.