Bragg Creek

Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Wild George will become famous soon enoughWild George will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bragg Creek

Originally Posted by wickham
Hi Wild George - so not depressing at all then! Thank you for your post it has reignited our dream to live in this hamlet. I must admit we were initially seduced by the lake communities with their wonderful facilities for children but we soon felt (having looked round several) how bland and samey they are and the houses are boxed together (albeit very nice houses). I think we would grow to hate it as we are essentially rural people.

We had initially ruled out the acreages in Bragg Creek as, although we would absolutely love it, we thought our children would be isolated (hence looking at Redwood Meadows) but maybe we have assumed wrong ? Your little community sounds an ideal compromise. Do your children have other children nearby to play with or does it involve driving them? Are the older ones able to have a little freedom or is it too risky (given the wildlife!). It sounds idyllic where you are - are there many little micro-communities around Bragg Creek?

We too are rural people and personally speaking we dont feel in the least bit isolated.
Our children have friends of their age who live on the same development and are just a short walk or bike ride away. I feel they are too young right now to let them walk or ride unaccompanied. We also tend to exchange play-dates with other friends, our 5yr old attends Kindergarten which runs 5 ams per wk so once a wk we either pick up a friend of hers and bring her home for the pm or she goes to someone Else's house. My eldest 7 (8 in Jan) arranges sleep overs at the wk ends.
We are fortunate enough to live on a Lake community right here in Bragg Creek. The kids make full use of this as you can imagine. During the summer we spend most days swimming and picnicking there and during the winter we are skating there.
I would not let the kids play outside on their own - there is usually something to do anyway, pushing swings or throwing balls. They are aware of the dangers of the forest. My biggest fear is that they will follow a butterfly and walk off into the woods never to be seen again!!!!
I think that most of the acreages out here get together in some form or another, but really its up to you, you can be as involved as you please.
Glad to hear you find my impressions of living here enlightening.
Wherever you choose to make your new home I wish you well.
If I can help out in anyway let me know.
Yours George
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: Bragg Creek

Originally Posted by wickham
Hi Wild George - so not depressing at all then! Thank you for your post it has reignited our dream to live in this hamlet. I must admit we were initially seduced by the lake communities with their wonderful facilities for children but we soon felt (having looked round several) how bland and samey they are and the houses are boxed together (albeit very nice houses). I think we would grow to hate it as we are essentially rural people.

We had initially ruled out the acreages in Bragg Creek as, although we would absolutely love it, we thought our children would be isolated (hence looking at Redwood Meadows) but maybe we have assumed wrong ? Your little community sounds an ideal compromise. Do your children have other children nearby to play with or does it involve driving them? Are the older ones able to have a little freedom or is it too risky (given the wildlife!). It sounds idyllic where you are - are there many little micro-communities around Bragg Creek?
Good Luck in Redwood Meadows. Please remember gardens are not fenced in there (bears and wolves) and houses - albeit cheap are mainly leasehold
with maybe only 60 yeras to run. A friend of mine who bought there he was from Toronto, got really depressed there: very hard to drive out of your garage every morning for all the snow you get there. And average house around $600 average heating bill. He went to sell it only 1 year after he bought it and found it took a long time to find a buyer. You may still love it there, I guess it depends on the character you are. Best wishes, Gezza
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:58 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bragg Creek

Originally Posted by Gezza
Good Luck in Redwood Meadows. Please remember gardens are not fenced in there (bears and wolves) and houses - albeit cheap are mainly leasehold with maybe only 60 yeras to run.
Gezza
Long term leases in Redwood Meadows run out in 2048, at most 43 years from now, that would have to affect resale values I would think.

Some information on Redwood Meadows from a Bragg Creek real estate company. Sounds quite nice but I'm not convinced.

Cheers
Steve