Bragg Creek

Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bragg Creek

Originally Posted by john fisher
...and I've got a pilots licence God help me.
That explains it all.

I used to be a controller.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:08 pm
Lost again

john fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hangman
That explains it all.

I used to be a controller.

Cheers
Steve
Pilot never have a good sense of direction.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:00 pm
Cowtown

Maybe it's the way I look at Calgary. I have dived as follows everything east of highway 2 is east and west of highway 2 is west. The Compton Well I place in the SW part of Calgary, I used page 44 to came to this assumption. I apologise if this is wrong it's just the way I look at the map. If it is wrong let me know as this is part of the forum to educate and discuss.
I agree with Hangman I'm afraid.

So are we agreed that there are no sour gas wells in SW Calgary?

Old Nov 11th 2005, 9:49 am
Lost again

john fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to beholdjohn fisher is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cowtown
I agree with Hangman I'm afraid.

So are we agreed that there are no sour gas wells in SW Calgary?
I'm not using SW or SE I'd get lost again. I'll stick to names of places.

So where do you place Bragg Creek.

Please check this site, do all wells produce sour gas.
http://webacc.fsd38.ab.ca/schools/Mi...CreekStory.htm
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:18 pm
Cowtown

I'm not using SW or SE I'd get lost again. I'll stick to names of places.

So where do you place Bragg Creek.

Please check this site, do all wells produce sour gas.
http://webacc.fsd38.ab.ca/schools/Mi...CreekStory.htm
Way, way out west!

Do all wells produce sour gas? I have no idea so I will leave that to someone who knows better!

Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Way, way out west!

Do all wells produce sour gas? I have no idea so I will leave that to someone who knows better!
Way, way out west is a good way to put it.

Link for John, to Google map showing Bragg Creek in relation to Calgary and Cochrane.

I do know that, not all wells produce sour gas but I'll leave it to someone in the oil and gas industry to explain.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 11th 2005, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

wickham is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link regarding Wintergreen well - as much as I understood it although a lot of it was "over my head" - I'm really not sure what to think now?! We hope to be moving out next spring if we can sort out our business here by then. Are you still hoping to move to this area to?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 7:20 pm
Lost again

Originally Posted by wickham
Thanks for the link regarding Wintergreen well - as much as I understood it although a lot of it was "over my head" - I'm really not sure what to think now?! We hope to be moving out next spring if we can sort out our business here by then. Are you still hoping to move to this area to?
We hope to, we liked the school and the area. It will be either West Bragg Creek or Wintergreen. The gas well I don't think will put us off. We hope to be out about March some time but then this is in the hands of the Gods (CHC). Well thats the plane but you never now what will happen. Have you had anything back from the CHC, all they said to us at Sandown was that we should have our medical requests by early December.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

We are lucky enough to have had our visas and landed (August this year) and have come back to sort things out. How long have you been waiting? We were told when we applied not to expect to hear anything for 24 months but heard back 12 months later - so it may not be too much longer for you. What are you planning to do work wise? We applied via business route and so our stay is conditional on setting up a business and it meeting certain criteria within a certain timeframe or we could get kicked out again - very scary! How old are your children (ours are 7 and 4 - two girls), it will be nice to know there will be some other new children at the school around the same time as each other - mind you my friend in Redwood knows of at least two more families moving to Redwood next spring - property is going to be 'hot' - hope it doesn't turn into a 'British' community - don't want to move 6k miles and be surrounded by all Brits - no offence meant to you ! but I'm sure you know what I mean!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
When we were about to return to Calgary from back-to-back expat stints in Houston and Melbourne, we very seriously considered buying a house in Bragg Creek (or, more precisely, in nearby Redwood Meadows).

After thinking about it long and hard, we decided we'd prefer to be in Calgary, where our kids, who then were about to enter university, would have access to public transportation. Lovely as Bragg Creek is, we've been pleased with our decision to return to Calgary proper.

I gather from some of your other posts that you're a heavy vehicle mechanic. I imagine you'll work in the southeast industrial area, or perhaps in the northeast industrial area. Either way, Bragg Creek, which is to the southwest of Calgary, will be in an inconvenient direction for your daily commute to work.

as a recreational activity, you may want to be within relatively easy distance of Springbank Airport, which is to the west of Calgary. Cochrane might be a good choice of location from that point of view. However, since Cochrane is to the northwest of Calgary, it too would be an inconvenient home base for your daily commute to work (assuming you will in fact be working in the southeast).

If you do work in the southeast, an outlying town that may appeal to you is Chestermere, which is to the east of Calgary.

Aaah,..Redwood Meadows? You will need a massive 4x4 in winter to get in an out. There aren’t many houses there. Only one straight road going through a Siberian forest. Very picturesque in snow and sunshine. The only problem is this is Indian land and all houses are leasehold. Usually for 40 –60 years. Very cheap to buy. Heating bills can be astronomical because some houses are large and fairly old for Canada. There is a primary school at one end of this read I think. And that’s it.The rest is either Bragg Creek or Calgary. Living there permanently can be ....a tad depressing.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gezza
Aaah,..Redwood Meadows? You will need a massive 4x4 in winter to get in an out. There aren’t many houses there. Only one straight road going through a Siberian forest. Very picturesque in snow and sunshine. The only problem is this is Indian land and all houses are leasehold. Usually for 40 –60 years. Very cheap to buy. Heating bills can be astronomical because some houses are large and fairly old for Canada. There is a primary school at one end of this read I think. And that’s it.The rest is either Bragg Creek or Calgary. Living there permanently can be ....a tad depressing.
I take you've lived there then? Why is it a depressing place to live? What is the commute into Calgary like - particularly in the wintertime?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:45 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it a depressing place to live?
I have not lived there, but I can imagine why Redwood Meadows might be depressing. It's an extremely picturesque place. Houses are tucked away amongst the trees, and several of them overlook a golf course.

Beyond the cute appearance of the place, I think it has little going for it. It has none of the advantages of urban or rural life. Rather, it strikes me as being a place that in many respects combines the worst of both worlds.

As far as I know, Bragg Creek lacks many city amenities, e.g., a public library, a book store, a movie theatre, public transportation, etc., etc. In that regard Redwood Meadows is even worse than Bragg Creek. Redwood Meadows does not even have a convenience store to which you could walk to buy bread or milk. You would be utterly dependent on your car. Life most likely would be untenable with anything less than two vehicles.

I could understand it if someone chose to forego city amenities in exchange for the extra outdoor space that an acreage would afford. But the lots in Redwood Meadows, while they are slightly larger than the lots in suburban Calgary, still are in a suburban size range. So the residents of Redwood Meadows don't enjoy the advantages of living on an acreage either.

There was a time when we were very tempted to buy a house in Redwood Meadows. The charm of the woodland setting was most beguiling. I'm so glad now that we had second thoughts about Redwood Meadows.

What is the commute into Calgary like
That question already has been answered in this thread.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 2:56 pm
Lost again

We are lucky enough to have had our visas and landed (August this year) and have come back to sort things out. How long have you been waiting? We were told when we applied not to expect to hear anything for 24 months but heard back 12 months later - so it may not be too much longer for you. What are you planning to do work wise? We applied via business route and so our stay is conditional on setting up a business and it meeting certain criteria within a certain timeframe or we could get kicked out again - very scary! How old are your children (ours are 7 and 4 - two girls), it will be nice to know there will be some other new children at the school around the same time as each other - mind you my friend in Redwood knows of at least two more families moving to Redwood next spring - property is going to be 'hot' - hope it doesn't turn into a 'British' community - don't want to move 6k miles and be surrounded by all Brits - no offence meant to you ! but I'm sure you know what I mean!
Alright for some (having your visas that is). We applied Nov last year. In Feb this year I came out and sat the Heavy Vehicle Technicians red seal exam. Also had a job interview with Maxim a truck company and was offered a position. I know have a HRDC certificate for the job so this I hope has speed things up abit.

Our two boys are 8 and 10 Sam our eldest maybe 11 by the time we get out.

What business are you planning to setup.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Wild George will become famous soon enoughWild George will become famous soon enough

Alright for some (having your visas that is). We applied Nov last year. In Feb this year I came out and sat the Heavy Vehicle Technicians red seal exam. Also had a job interview with Maxim a truck company and was offered a position. I know have a HRDC certificate for the job so this I hope has speed things up abit.

Our two boys are 8 and 10 Sam our eldest maybe 11 by the time we get out.

What business are you planning to setup.

HI John and Wickham..just thought I would offer my best wishes with your plight to live in Bragg Creek. WE have lived here for 10yrs now -moved from Gloucestershire - its a fab community, there are more and more Brits moving in and mostly people just fit right in and are made very welcome. I personally get quite involved in the community, but there are those that choose not too and still love living here. Never had any trouble from sour gas..guess I must be really thick cos I didnt even know I had one in MBY.
MBY is west Bragg Creek, two acres of paradise. The development that we live on has Its own little Micro Community, we have a shared lake, tennis court and beach. Mr Wild George commutes daily to Calgary and finds it a doddle. He probably misses 2 or 3 days per year due to being snowed in, then he just 'works from home'...well actually he used the bobcat to dig us out.
We have 3 girls 8yrs,5 and 3yrs. The eldest two attend Banded Peak which I have found a great school. Yesterday we had our Remembrance Service, held in the Community center. The first year we where in Bragg Creek approx 15 people attended this year there where 500. The school choir sang In Flanders Fields.
This really is living the dream for us..once we got here we did want to 'close the gate' and stop other people from discovering our little hide away, but I do find it nice to see other family's moving in and keeping the community alive.
Look forward to seeing you one day..dont give up the dream.
Yours George
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Wild George - so not depressing at all then! Thank you for your post it has reignited our dream to live in this hamlet. I must admit we were initially seduced by the lake communities with their wonderful facilities for children but we soon felt (having looked round several) how bland and samey they are and the houses are boxed together (albeit very nice houses). I think we would grow to hate it as we are essentially rural people.

We had initially ruled out the acreages in Bragg Creek as, although we would absolutely love it, we thought our children would be isolated (hence looking at Redwood Meadows) but maybe we have assumed wrong ? Your little community sounds an ideal compromise. Do your children have other children nearby to play with or does it involve driving them? Are the older ones able to have a little freedom or is it too risky (given the wildlife!). It sounds idyllic where you are - are there many little micro-communities around Bragg Creek?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.