Bonfire night

Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:04 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Bonfire night

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In PC terms people from Newfoundland and Labrador should be referred to as 'Newfoundlanders and Labradorians'.
Nine years of living with a Newfie, countless trips down there, a couple of berry picking excursions to Labrador and I never once heard that term; what a mouthful.

Labrador's part of Quebec anyway, innit ?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:24 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd

Labrador's part of Quebec anyway, innit ?
Absolutely NOT!!!!!

Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:29 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hangman
Absolutely NOT!!!!!

It is in my kid's school atlas. I bet they still teach that here.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by dbd
It is in my kid's school atlas. I bet they still teach that here.
Well it is on the mainland and attached to Quebec, however it is part of Newfoundland, and always has been.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:59 am
dbd
Forum Regular

Well it is on the mainland and attached to Quebec, however it is part of Newfoundland, and always has been.

Cheers
Steve

Mais non, c'est pas vrai :

"Although Labrador had been tossed back and forth between Quebec and Newfoundland... "

http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps...olution/1927/1

Today, French language school books show it as part of Quebec, English language ones as part of Newfoundland, it's certainly not the case that it's always been part of Newfoundland.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by dbd
Mais non, c'est pas vrai :

"Although Labrador had been tossed back and forth between Quebec and Newfoundland... "

http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps...olution/1927/1

Today, French language school books show it as part of Quebec, English language ones as part of Newfoundland, it's certainly not the case that it's always been part of Newfoundland.
I stand corrected. I was thinking that as Newfoundland and Labrador only came in confederation in 1947 that is was always part of Newfoundland.

Interesting that Quebec still thinks it belongs to them. The Newfoundland government certainly thinks it's part of them.

Ya' learns something everyday.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:13 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected. I was thinking that as Newfoundland and Labrador only came in confederation in 1947 that is was always part of Newfoundland.

Interesting that Quebec still thinks it belongs to them. The Newfoundland government certainly thinks it's part of them.

Ya' learns something everyday.

Cheers
Steve
Actually Newfoundland (& Labrador) only joined Canada in 1949....a date that many nationalists still lament!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:20 am
dbd
Forum Regular

Actually Newfoundland (& Labrador) only joined Canada in 1949....a date that many nationalists still lament!
It's has an interesting history, Newfoundland. Not many places chose which country to join, certainly not within living memory, and not many places had forced collectivisation.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:35 am

Damned typo's that's what I meant to put.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:58 am
Just Joined

britchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow its good to know so many of you still celebrate it. I just saw my OP and realised I put nov 4th lol, thats my nans birthday not guy fawlkes, she must have been on my mind

It's kinda cool that they celebrate it in newfoundland, maybe I'll move......
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:44 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by dbd
Not many places chose which country to join
And they chose Canada ... says a lot by itself ...

Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd
Not many places chose which country to join
I'm still holding out for Turks and Caicos to join...
Old Oct 21st 2005, 12:23 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I'm still holding out for Turks and Caicos to join...

I thought the Turks were trying to join the EU? I know what you mean, just joking