Bonfire night

Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

britchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bonfire night

Hi all,

This is my first visit here, I moved from Southport, Merseyside, to winnipeg, MB in July 2003.

Growing up I always looked forward to the 4th Nov, Halloween was only a minor thing compared. Here of course it is not celebrated, and even though it shouldn't really be celebrated due to what it stands for, I have to say I really miss it.
I have children here and would love to build a big bonfire and have sparklers and roman candles in the back garden, but unfortunately we live in an apartment right now.

fireworks are pretty easy to get hold of here, I was wondering how many of you still celebrate bonfire night here in Canada?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:29 pm
Cowtown

Default Re: Bonfire night

Originally Posted by britchick
fireworks are pretty easy to get hold of here, I was wondering how many of you still celebrate bonfire night here in Canada?
Alas not in Calgary - they're illegal within the city limits - tinder dry wooden house and all that - we haven't done it in years.

Funny how burning the effigies of catholics doesn't go down well in Canada ...

Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Wild George will become famous soon enoughWild George will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britchick
Hi all,

This is my first visit here, I moved from Southport, Merseyside, to winnipeg, MB in July 2003.

Growing up I always looked forward to the 4th Nov, Halloween was only a minor thing compared. Here of course it is not celebrated, and even though it shouldn't really be celebrated due to what it stands for, I have to say I really miss it.
I have children here and would love to build a big bonfire and have sparklers and roman candles in the back garden, but unfortunately we live in an apartment right now.

We still celebrate Nov 5th. As long as we are not under a 'fire-ban'. This year due to all that rain I am sure we will be OK. We get together with a mix of Expat and Canadian (born) friends. Bonfire, fireworks, hot chocolate and hot toddies. Some years it has been so cold that only the hardened Expats stay out there waving sparklers.
The fireworks here do seem a bit of a let down compared to the good old 'Standard Fireworks'...or is that just another rose clouded memory. I am not including the fireworks that they use in big shows like the Stampede etc, those are very very BIG and BANGIE.
I have never heard of any fireworks being posted through letter boxes etc here, so that is one tradition that has not traveled with us all.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:39 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Wild George
I have never heard of any fireworks being posted through letter boxes etc here, so that is one tradition that has not traveled with us all.
Houses in Bragg Creek have letterboxes??

Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Wild George will become famous soon enoughWild George will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Houses in Bragg Creek have letterboxes??

MMmm That is something that I was no factoring into my assumption
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:53 pm
Cowtown

MMmm That is something that I was no factoring into my assumption
Well, you never know with Bragg Creek inhabitants

Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Well, you never know with Bragg Creek inhabitants

I must thank you for reminding me about Letter Boxes..they seemed to have slipped my mind completely. During our next Bragg Creek Community Association meeting I will bring up the fact that I think it would be a smashing idea to have mandatory Letter Boxes installed in the entire Bragg Creek vicinity... I have yet to come up with the perfect use for the Letter Boxes. A few non-starters are...Peeking out through them to see who is coming up the drive...Peeking out through them to watch the scary wildlife troupe by...Peeking out through them to see if its stopped snowing enough to give you a clear view of who is coming up the drive.
By the way Cowtown its already snowing here so if you need to be up by 7ish you best be off to bed now
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

By the way Cowtown its already snowing here so if you need to be up by 7ish you best be off to bed now
????? Not a flake in Springbank and that's not that far away
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:40 am
Cowtown

Not a snowflake to be seen in our corner of SW Calgary ....

Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Not a snowflake to be seen in our corner of SW Calgary ....

Kids just gone off on the bus and its still wet sleetie stuff coming down.
After sleeping on the letter box conundrum I have come up with the best plan yet - perhaps the obvious one- Reviving the quaint olde Brit tradition of 'chuckin a Banger' though each others Letter Boxes.
For further up to the min accurate weather reports look to the west.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:33 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

I lived for years with a Newfie, her family celebrated Guy Fawkes Day and said it was a tradition down home. My brother celebrates it on his farm in eastern Ontario, they build a bonfire and invite the bewildered locals.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:44 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd
I lived for years with a Newfie, her family celebrated Guy Fawkes Day and said it was a tradition down home. My brother celebrates it on his farm in eastern Ontario, they build a bonfire and invite the bewildered locals.

The welcome package that was given to me at work, by HR, had a part in it, that read "there should be no derogatory name calling, example being Newfie". Is this how you refer to people from Newfoundland?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:47 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by finallygotout
The welcome package that was given to me at work, by HR, had a part in it, that read "there should be no derogatory name calling, example being Newfie". Is this how you refer to people from Newfoundland?
Yes.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:51 am
dbd
Forum Regular

I think your HR department was in a bit of a bind, they can't publish an example of a really offensive term so they picked one that might be considered offensive by some people in specific circumstances. It's overly sensitive to outlaw "Newfie" completely as, for example, it would be "Paddy".
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:53 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

In PC terms people from Newfoundland and Labrador should be referred to as 'Newfoundlanders and Labradorians'. However this doesnt exactly trip off the tongue and since most are from Newfoundland as opposed to Labrador, the term 'Newfoundlander' is acceptable. 'Newfie' is often used derogatively by 'mainlanders' when making jokes at Newfoundlanders expense. However it is also used with pride by some Newfoundlanders such as my wife who is a 'Newfie and proud of it'!

I believe Nov 5th is celebrated here but the bonfire is more the thing than the fireworks. We'll be having a bonfire party for sure this year. (my first in Canada).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.