Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bloor/Landsdown area to rent in Toronto

Bloor/Landsdown area to rent in Toronto

Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

emjaca85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bloor/Landsdown area to rent in Toronto

Anyone know what this area is like, its right near the subway? 2 bed apartment for $1750, utilities are between $80 -$120 a month - does that sound accurate?

Been in Toronto a week - currently living on Front Street/Blue Jays Way, in a monthly rental - but its expensive and can't live here forever!

Finding it hard as is everyone else to trying and find a two bed apartment without jobs yet ect..
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Stephen47 will become famous soon enoughStephen47 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bloor/Landsdown area to rent in Toronto

Originally Posted by emjaca85
Anyone know what this area is like, its right near the subway? 2 bed apartment for $1750, utilities are between $80 -$120 a month - does that sound accurate?

Been in Toronto a week - currently living on Front Street/Blue Jays Way, in a monthly rental - but its expensive and can't live here forever!

Finding it hard as is everyone else to trying and find a two bed apartment without jobs yet ect..
I wish I could help but I live in Don Mills/Eglinton Ave. I'm paying $580 per month and I'm living with my landlords :-(
However, I'm planning to move out once I secure a new job. $1750 per month on a 2 bedroom apartment does sound quite expensive though.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future

I used to live at Bloor and Landsdown in 2008 and at that time it was commonly known as crack central... It's no exaggeration to say that when playing 'spot the crack head' you could normally score between 4 and 5 within a 200m radius of the intersection. However, I understand that it's really cleaned it's act up now and when I drove past a few months ago it looked a lot nicer.

I lived in a shared house in Merchant Lane and I think I was paying something in the region of $500 for a bedroom in a shared house with parking and no hydro. You'll be close to Dufferin Mall which has really expanded since I lived there. And you have relatively easy access to the Gardiner East Bound if you go West on Bloor, South on Parkside and East on Lakeshore. I think you can get on the West bound carriageway at the same place. High Park is right next to you with a nice Starbucks just across the road.

It must be a nice apartment for $1750!!! My partner is renting a two bed apartment in a 1950's art deco building including parking and Hydro, at Younge and Laurence (on the subway) for around $1300. I'd say that was a much better deal considering that Younge and Laurence is arguably a much better area.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ernie_wise
I used to live at Bloor and Landsdown in 2008 and at that time it was commonly known as crack central... It's no exaggeration to say that when playing 'spot the crack head' you could normally score between 4 and 5 within a 200m radius of the intersection. However, I understand that it's really cleaned it's act up now and when I drove past a few months ago it looked a lot nicer.

I lived in a shared house in Merchant Lane and I think I was paying something in the region of $500 for a bedroom in a shared house with parking and no hydro. You'll be close to Dufferin Mall which has really expanded since I lived there. And you have relatively easy access to the Gardiner East Bound if you go West on Bloor, South on Parkside and East on Lakeshore. I think you can get on the West bound carriageway at the same place. High Park is right next to you with a nice Starbucks just across the road.

It must be a nice apartment for $1750!!! My partner is renting a two bed apartment in a 1950's art deco building including parking and Hydro, at Younge and Laurence (on the subway) for around $1300. I'd say that was a much better deal considering that Younge and Laurence is arguably a much better area.
Thanks - everyone is saying that is quite expensive, im finding it hard to find anything that is less then that without it being tiny 1 + den and bad shape.

Ideally we want semifurnished (this place wasn't) but its impossible! And we don't want to get ripped off - its really hard
Old Jul 8th 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future

Where/how are you looking/searching? viewit.ca is pretty good and there's nothing better than just knocking on the superintendents door and asking directly.

Does it have to be in the Bloor/Lansdowne area? or just anywhere on the subway line? I might be wrong but I think it's currently the busy season for real estate. When I was over there in April there seemed to be plenty in the 1300 range but that was in the Younge and Lawrence area.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ernie_wise
Where/how are you looking/searching? viewit.ca is pretty good and there's nothing better than just knocking on the superintendents door and asking directly.

Does it have to be in the Bloor/Lansdowne area? or just anywhere on the subway line? I might be wrong but I think it's currently the busy season for real estate. When I was over there in April there seemed to be plenty in the 1300 range but that was in the Younge and Lawrence area.
Been looking on Craigslist and Kijiji forgot about viewit, ill check that one..

We want to be as close to Downtown as possible or near a subway, we need to be out of our current place by the 1st August - I'm not panicking yet but just want to get something sorted..

I guess its just a case of keeping an eye out on those sites..

because we dont have employment letters ect it narrows it down even further. I have got a couple of views set up for today but they are $1750-$2000, unfurnished.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

August 1st you say, blimey that is a tight schedule.

Normally rental apartments in managed buildings in Toronto will be booking appointments two months in advance of the move in date, since you usually have to give two months notice. So I'd imagine that they're mostly be advertising for September move-ins at the moment because contracts normally start on the 1st of the month. Viewit might not be much use in that case.

You might get a private rental with such short notice or a lower end apartment block (if they haven't been able to fill it). Credit checks might also be an issue for you, what with not having employment lined up. I'd say that your best bet is with a private landlord or knock on doors.

You might struggle to find somewhere close to downtown that's reasonably priced. Maybe look at Yonge and Sheppard, it's far enough out of downtown that it'll be cheaper but it's still on the subway.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

We want to be as close to Downtown as possible or near a subway, we need to be out of our current place by the 1st August - I'm not panicking yet but just want to get something sorted..

I guess its just a case of keeping an eye out on those sites..

because we dont have employment letters ect it narrows it down even further. I have got a couple of views set up for today but they are $1750-$2000, unfurnished.
Do you have to be on a subway? Would a streetcar route be acceptable? I think being near a subway keeps the prices up!
There's a 2 bed on the Danforth on MLS for $1500 per month if that helps!

Last edited by Reidies; Jul 8th 2013 at 3:56 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 4:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reidies
Do you have to be on a subway? Would a streetcar route be acceptable? I think being near a subway keeps the prices up!
There's a 2 bed on the Danforth on MLS for $1500 per month if that helps!
And the Danforth has a subway under it.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And the Danforth has a subway under it.
I'm well aware of that!!!

I just edited my post to include that listing for the OP
Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another one:

http://www.walkscore.com/apartments/search/toronto
Old Jul 8th 2013, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

no we don't have to be near a subway, street car is fine..
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

We viewed the property and the area and it was a bit rough - reminded me of home lol - the apartment wasn't too sad to be honest, but wasn't that fussed on the area and felt it was too expensive - for the same price $1800 all utilities inclusive we are going to see a 2 bed apartment in Dundonald street near wellesey subway near the gay village - its a cool area.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.padmapper.com/show.php?t...91372&src=main

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/apa/3926243904.html

https://www.padmapper.com/#
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

waltsdog is an unknown quantity at this point

As Siouxie says padmapper is pretty good, it covers craigslist and kijiji I think but you do get a lot of airbnb stuff on there which you'll probably not want.
We were in the same situation until last week, the prices seem to have gone a bit silly recently (I guess it's a summer thing) like someone else said when we arrived in April there were loads of places for decent prices.
Are you looking for sublets? That would probably be your best best bet for finding somewhere up to 6 months - ish and furnished. There are also quite a few rooms in shared houses as someone else mentioned. Also best to go for a private landlord if you're not working atm, that's worked for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.