Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Blocking annoying automated calls.

Blocking annoying automated calls.

Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:51 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Blocking annoying automated calls.

most decent companies will honour your request to not call you, just ask to be supressed from marketing calls.

if you have a service with them and they need to communicate with you about it, they have a right to call you, marketing is a different matter completely.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:09 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheadboy
most decent companies will honour your request to not call you, just ask to be supressed from marketing calls.

if you have a service with them and they need to communicate with you about it, they have a right to call you, marketing is a different matter completely.
They are automated calls. Not sure I mentioned that. Sometimes these numbers they leave are premium rate cons so I am unlikely to phone the number. The company is not one I have ever dealt with. I would hardly try and block a company I had an ongoing relationship with.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:22 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

my reply was to the people talking about calls in general from Bell, etc.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:05 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheadboy
my reply was to the people talking about calls in general from Bell, etc.
All of the calls were sales calls wanting to sell us their mobile service, fibre op service, etc. - stuff we didn't want, but they refused to take No for an answer.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:26 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

if you tell them to suppress you from calls and they refuse and continue to call you they're liable for legal action.

next time ask for a manager, if they hang up, call their customer service line, they'll listen.

I was suppressed by both bell and rogers and stopped getting calls within the month
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:02 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

So I finally got the call from Windows Support (at least I think that's what he called it).

I'd been planning on how to deal with this call for literally months. Plan was to use up as much of his time as possible by playing along and teasing with a little Socratic irony whenever given the opportunity.

Unfortunately the plan was soon forgotten

I said quite a few things that I was actually surprised at hearing myself say. Something about him being a thief, defrauding poor people, not having a penis. Not sure why he hooked the call but I was in the middle of suggesting that he become a good person by going over to his boss to resign (I offered to stay on the phone while he did so).

Me: "You know you should be in prison right now, behind bars"
Agent: [silence]
Me: "Go resign now, turn your life around, be a good person"
Agent: ...
Me: "If you don't they have a special cell for people like you, all it has is a grate in the ceiling"
Agent: "huh"
Me: "Go on, don't be weak, go resign. I'll stay on the line with you while you do it"
Me: "You know there's another cell above your special cell? Full of prisoners whose toilet is your head"

I might have used a few bad words and continued on with the description before I realised the call had been terminated.

Wish I could say I felt better for doing this but I don't and feel really sorry for those who have been defrauded by these people
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

You can also purchase telephones that will block numbers - ours does though the phone does ring once before sending them a busy tone.

+1 to the Do Not Call List and we have also had good results reporting numbers that come through after you have registered.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:50 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

Originally Posted by Greenhill
So I finally got the call from Windows Support (at least I think that's what he called it).

I'd been planning on how to deal with this call for literally months. Plan was to use up as much of his time as possible by playing along and teasing with a little Socratic irony whenever given the opportunity.

Unfortunately the plan was soon forgotten

I said quite a few things that I was actually surprised at hearing myself say. Something about him being a thief, defrauding poor people, not having a penis. Not sure why he hooked the call but I was in the middle of suggesting that he become a good person by going over to his boss to resign (I offered to stay on the phone while he did so).

Me: "You know you should be in prison right now, behind bars"
Agent: [silence]
Me: "Go resign now, turn your life around, be a good person"
Me: "If you don't they have a special cell for people like you, all it has is a grate in the ceiling"
Agent: "huh"
Me: "Go on, don't be weak, go resign. I'll stay on the line with you while you do it"
Me: "You know there's another cell above your special cell? Full of prisoners whose toilet is your head"

I might have used a few bad words and continued on with the description before I realised the call had been terminated.

Wish I could say I felt better for doing this but I don't and feel really sorry for those who have been defrauded by these people
I used to speak to at least one person a week who got caught by these scumbags. I used to love when a customer would call because we blocked the credit card transaction...I'd take great pleasure saving them that money. the problem is, by that time the scum have already swamped the pc with malware, so they need somebody who knows computers to take a look at it.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

If people have cell phones I'm not quite sure why they have landlines these days?

We never get spammy calls to cell

My father in law gets loads to landline