Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Black Bears!!!

Black Bears!!!

Old Sep 10th 2006, 8:43 am
Just Joined

dinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant future
Default Re: Black Bears!!!

Originally Posted by jandro
Most guides on bear encounters I've read suggest you should back away slowly from the bear never turning your back to it, wave you arms, and make noise. Despite what many think mother black bears rarely attack in defence of their cubs. They will bluff an attack and then chase their cubs up a tree. A mother grizzly, however is much more dangerous.

A few weeks ago a large black bear circled around me while I was resting on a mountain slope on a hiking trip. :scared: Because I was alone in a remote area I panicked, turned my back to it and ran as fast as I could - not the recommended way of dealing with a bear encounter.
Glad you are still here. NEVER run from a bear; it makes them think you are prey, but you probably know that.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:43 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by louise033
Finally managed to get a picture for you, we saw this black bear in our campsite in Tofino this summer.
OMG!!!! did you take that pic.....WOW it dont think I would be steady enough to hold the camera!!!! lol
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:07 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happydayz
OMG!!!! did you take that pic.....WOW it dont think I would be steady enough to hold the camera!!!! lol

We were sitting in our truck waiting for the bear to vacate our camping pitch so that we could get back into our tent.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My younger son has just gone up to North Bay (for college). He met a black bear two days after he got there. I believe he's sending some trousers home to be laundered.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:06 am
maƱana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
My younger son has just gone up to North Bay (for college). He met a black bear two days after he got there. I believe he's sending some trousers home to be laundered.
LMAO!!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 5:05 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But black bears don't wear trousers.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:22 am
Ɖireann go BrĆ”ch

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise033
Finally managed to get a picture for you, we saw this black bear in our campsite in Tofino this summer.

He looks like he just got up or he was smoking the local produce!

We once stayed at a place right through town in a room that was right over the water. Only thing that got us off the deck for the two days was watching Canada kick the Americans arse in the hockey final. What a fab weekend that was.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Black bears are a daily occurance here - go to the dump, see about 10-15 of them, just get out of the car and chuck the rubbish on the pile beside them! Bear standing in the parking space I pulled into a few weeks ago outside the pub.
The municipality here has a bylaw against putting any rubbish in the bin outside until day of pickup to cut down on bear 'incidents' in town, have to store rubbish indoors until Wednesday. Doesn't smell too great I can tell you!!

When I go out walking or camping I take a bear banger just in case, but bears will run from humans 99 times out of 100 altho' town bears are much bolder than bush bears.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:25 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

When I go out walking or camping I take a bear banger just in case, but bears will run from humans 99 times out of 100 altho' town bears are much bolder than bush bears.[/QUOTE]

Whats a Bear Banger?!?!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:30 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Whats a Bear Banger?!?!
.440 Magnum? That might just stop a bear

I might have to dig out the blurry video of the bear ambling across our back yard. That was about 3 years ago now, and was the last one Ive seen around here, although I heard there was one up a tree last spring that the school busses were stoping to tale a look at.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 11th 2006 at 2:34 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

When I go out walking or camping I take a bear banger just in case, but bears will run from humans 99 times out of 100 altho' town bears are much bolder than bush bears.

Whats a Bear Banger?!?! [/QUOTE]

Small thing that looks like a pen and can be carried clipped onto a shirt pocket. Loaded with a cartridge (like a shotgun cartridge), pull back the spring-loaded end and let go - it lets off an incredibly loud bang like a shotgun and scares the pants off the bear who turns tail and runs!!!! Or that's the theory - haven't had to use it for real ...yet! I got one as I go camping/walking a lot in the bush, altho' I'm not long back from a 3-day trip into Woodland Caribou park (wilderness park accesible only by seaplane or canoe) and didn't see any bears!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody read Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods"?

He's planning a trip along the Appalachian Trail and decides to read up on bears before he sets off.

Quite the funniest bit of prose I have ever read. Highly recommended.