Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Black Bears!!!

Black Bears!!!

Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:24 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of
Red face Black Bears!!!

Hi there,
I was walking my two dogs this evening, and came upon a Black bear cub :scared: !!!! thankfully it was a little way in front of me, and the dogs had been behaving a Little oddly so I had slowed down our walk and was being on the look out...anyway having never seen a bear in my life before I so wanted to stay a while and see this wonderful site....but of course I tuned slowly and moved off in the opposite direction pronto!!! I figured Mama Bear must have been close!!! anyway has anyone else had any encounters Bears or otherwise....was that the right thing to do, I'm sure I had read to move off slowly without panic, anyone have any advise.
Cheers Jen
Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:49 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Black Bears!!!

Only a week ago I had to hit the brakes on my motor home to avoid hitting a black bear cub as it walked across the highway.

You did the right thing, but if you had had a proper dog - like the one in my avatar - it would have been the bear that panicked.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Sep 9th 2006 at 12:51 am.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:49 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Only a week ago I had to hit the brakes on my motor home to avoid hitting a black bear cub as it walked across the highway.

You did the right thing, but if you had had a proper dog - like the one in my avatar - it would have been the bear that panicked.
LOL do these like look like the faces that would panic anything!!!!..not even the little birds run when they go out!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Black Bears!!!-snowdoug.jpg   Black Bears!!!-picture-015.jpg  
Old Sep 9th 2006, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happydayz
LOL do these like look like the faces that would panic anything!!!!..not even the little birds run when they go out!!!!
Nice dogs!! What is that white stuff?????
Old Sep 9th 2006, 2:51 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Seen a bear whilst in the car - with a nice amount of metal around me. It scared me enough to go hiking in Canmore when someone gave us bear/cougar spray in case of a sighting. We had our puppy with us - the day before when we were at lake Louise a japanese tourist asked if we had a bear on a leash or was it a puppy? We have a Black Chow Chow - I would post a piccy but they're too big and I don't know how to make 'em fit

I think you did the right thing - may be worth investing in some bear spray though, just to be on the safe side.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 3:27 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Those "dogs" are more intimidating than the average bear.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 4:11 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
I was walking my two dogs this evening, and came upon a Black bear cub :scared: !!!! thankfully it was a little way in front of me, and the dogs had been behaving a Little oddly so I had slowed down our walk and was being on the look out...anyway having never seen a bear in my life before I so wanted to stay a while and see this wonderful site....but of course I tuned slowly and moved off in the opposite direction pronto!!! I figured Mama Bear must have been close!!! anyway has anyone else had any encounters Bears or otherwise....was that the right thing to do, I'm sure I had read to move off slowly without panic, anyone have any advise.
Cheers Jen
We have just been touring B.C in a tent! We saw lots of bears and slept with a machete and bear spray every night. We got a couple of books out of the library to read up on what to do if you come across a bear although I am not sure its that easy to stay calm when faced with a bear - I have some great pics but not sure how to upload them
Old Sep 9th 2006, 4:49 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Black bears usually aren't much trouble as long as they're not used to people food, and you're not three feet tall. Grizzlies, though. :scared: They may come looking for you a few days after they see you, and some of them are addicted to pepper spray.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 4:57 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Most guides on bear encounters I've read suggest you should back away slowly from the bear never turning your back to it, wave you arms, and make noise. Despite what many think mother black bears rarely attack in defence of their cubs. They will bluff an attack and then chase their cubs up a tree. A mother grizzly, however is much more dangerous.

A few weeks ago a large black bear circled around me while I was resting on a mountain slope on a hiking trip. :scared: Because I was alone in a remote area I panicked, turned my back to it and ran as fast as I could - not the recommended way of dealing with a bear encounter.

Hi there,
Cheers Jen
Old Sep 9th 2006, 4:59 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Cheers Jen
That's great Jen!
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:35 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

We've nearly finished out coast-to-coast tour of Canada and we haven't seen a single bear, moose or elk!

We've got a cupboard full of pamphlets given to us about bear safety, how the campsite is crawling with the things - not so much as a paw print...
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:31 pm
Jenny & Tony

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Nice dogs!! What is that white stuff?????

Why thats SNOW!!!!!( last years )
Old Sep 9th 2006, 10:39 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
Cheers Jen
Finally managed to get a picture for you, we saw this black bear in our campsite in Tofino this summer.
Attached Thumbnails Black Bears!!!-black-bear-1.jpg  
Old Sep 10th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by louise033
Finally managed to get a picture for you, we saw this black bear in our campsite in Tofino this summer.
Wow!! great picture!!! I would love to see one... I think!! I would be just a tad scared!! hee hee!
Old Sep 10th 2006, 8:41 am
Just Joined

dinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Black bears usually aren't much trouble as long as they're not used to people food, and you're not three feet tall. Grizzlies, though. :scared: They may come looking for you a few days after they see you, and some of them are addicted to pepper spray.

We all like to spice up our food.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.