Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Sat Navs for Canada

Best Sat Navs for Canada

Old May 4th 2014, 12:57 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Sat Navs for Canada

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I have driven several vehicles with their own navigation systems installed. These devices did not allow the passenger to input data while the vehicle is being driven so thats why the Gamins & Tom Toms are still popular as they allow the passenger to use them while the vehicle is in motion.
They don't allow for passengers then?
Old May 4th 2014, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
They don't allow for passengers then?
The vehicles allow for passengers but the manufacturers built in systems don't let the passengers use them while the vehicle is in motion. Personally I prefer the portable ones such as Garmin as you can do more things with them and get updated maps and features quicker than the built in ones.
Old May 4th 2014, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

ThaiBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used the iPhone tom-tom apps in Canada / US and SE Asia. All are very good. Sometimes if its not positioned well it complains of bad satellite signal, but normally fine. If you are using cloud then it will be on your iPad as well, which can be good for any copilot who is with you.
Old May 4th 2014, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

Nokia Lumia 625, and just download the mapping for all of Canada, USA, Europe, Middle East etc so don't need to use any data allowance. No internet access required to find anywhere.

It is the one thing Nokia does very well indeed. SatNav proving very reliable. Works as a phone and email machine rather well too

(No need to buy the really expensive Lumia models)
Old May 5th 2014, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

For Canada I use Google maps on my iPhone, perfect, and used a Garmin when driving in the US.
Old May 5th 2014, 7:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I have a Garmin and it seems to work OK. It's ages old and we brought it to Canada with us and just uploaded North America onto an SD card. The GPS itself is years old, but the maps are up to date.
I have a Garmin and it's totally crap. I mean really truly crap.

Here's an example - the other day I was driving back from Kalispell, so the logical route to use is up Hwy 93, east down Hwy 3 and then up Hwy 2 to Calgary. Or alternatively you can go east on Hwy 2, up Hwy 89 back onto Hwy 2 (which makes less sense as Hwy 89 has a really low speed limit).

So to begin with, it keeps trying to send me down Hwy 2 even though I'm going up Hwy 93. That I can sort of put up with because although going up Hwy 93 is quicker, the Hwy 2 route is a few km shorter.

But then it decides it wants to send me up Hwy 22 off Hwy 3 - which is not a good idea. And even it were a good idea, the ENTIRE WAY back to Calgary it tries to send me down Hwy 22, even when I got as far as Nanton! Every single exit off the road it was trying to make me do a U-turn or turn west.

It got to the point it was trying to send me down Hwy 520 and as soon as I got north of 520 it decides that hey, hwy 2 does make more sense and wipes an hour off the ETA! Crazy. It was literally trying to send me out into the middle of nowhere I assume to go up through Black Diamond or something stupid.

The problem in Canada isn't the GPS, you can buy any GPS - it's the maps. In Europe and the US the maps are usually provided by NAVTEQ but in Canada they're Crown maps and they just don't work that well, doesn't take into account for example whether it's single lane or double lane most of the time and the speed limit calculations don't make sense. Why on Earth it was trying to send me dozens of km out of the way though I have no idea.

I often see people taking crazy turns down rural roads with a car full of kids and think to myself, that idiot is following his GPS.

There is absolutely no substitute for learning your way around I'm afraid, number of times that thing has tried to do something crazy in Canada I've lost count but it's usually pretty good in the US.
Old May 5th 2014, 7:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
For Canada I use Google maps on my iPhone, perfect, and used a Garmin when driving in the US.
Er... not perfect. What I do sometimes when I'm less familiar with the area and I don't trust the Garmin is cache the Google maps onto my phone and that's led me on a merry jaunt out into the middle of nowhere on more than one occasion.

I was just playing with it actually, try putting Kelowna to Spokane into it and see what it comes up with, the logical route is down 97 onto Hwy 2 but it's got some other route that takes you all over the damn place as the default.
Old May 5th 2014, 8:49 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Er... not perfect. What I do sometimes when I'm less familiar with the area and I don't trust the Garmin is cache the Google maps onto my phone and that's led me on a merry jaunt out into the middle of nowhere on more than one occasion.

I was just playing with it actually, try putting Kelowna to Spokane into it and see what it comes up with, the logical route is down 97 onto Hwy 2 but it's got some other route that takes you all over the damn place as the default.
Maybe you need to change the settings for your default route - can you set it to find the quickest rather than the shortest route? I have a crappy old TomTom that has that option in the settings menu (along with avoiding/taking toll roads, HOV lanes, etc) and it usually works pretty well.

I don't know the route from Kelowna to Spokane, but looking quickly at Google maps your suggestion of 97 and 2 is significantly further than 33 / 3 / 395, for example, though I don't doubt it may be quicker in real world traffic.
Old May 5th 2014, 8:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I've never felt that one is necessary. Just use you phone's compass and keep driving west until it stops hurting.
Old May 6th 2014, 4:49 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Maybe you need to change the settings for your default route - can you set it to find the quickest rather than the shortest route? I have a crappy old TomTom that has that option in the settings menu (along with avoiding/taking toll roads, HOV lanes, etc) and it usually works pretty well.
I've got my Garmin set to the quickest route, usually okay (but not always) in the US and utterly crap in Canada. I honestly can't understand the comments above, maybe they're worse in Alberta and I've definitely got up-to-date maps on it. What person thinks going through the Bar-U-Ranch is a quicker route to Calgary when you're already on the main highway to Calgary?

Google Maps gives several routes, but it seems to default to the shortest route, which is usually wrong. Let me just try one er... okay bang in Calgary to Kalispell - both of the routes it gives aren't that good, the first one is down Hwy 89 which has a really low speed limit (and is very dangerous during the winter) and the other one it gives is down Cowboy Trail to Hwy 3, which is also mad because Hwy 2 is twinned and Hwy 3 has more passing lanes on it. So you would go down Hwy 2 onto Hwy 3.

There's no real substitute for studying the map before you set off.
Old May 6th 2014, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I've got my Garmin set to the quickest route, usually okay (but not always) in the US and utterly crap in Canada. I honestly can't understand the comments above, maybe they're worse in Alberta and I've definitely got up-to-date maps on it. What person thinks going through the Bar-U-Ranch is a quicker route to Calgary when you're already on the main highway to Calgary?

Google Maps gives several routes, but it seems to default to the shortest route, which is usually wrong. Let me just try one er... okay bang in Calgary to Kalispell - both of the routes it gives aren't that good, the first one is down Hwy 89 which has a really low speed limit (and is very dangerous during the winter) and the other one it gives is down Cowboy Trail to Hwy 3, which is also mad because Hwy 2 is twinned and Hwy 3 has more passing lanes on it. So you would go down Hwy 2 onto Hwy 3.

There's no real substitute for studying the map before you set off.
What does your Garmin suggest if you go from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg or Winnipeg to Saskatoon?
Old May 6th 2014, 11:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What does your Garmin suggest if you go from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg or Winnipeg to Saskatoon?
Well, quite. Who on earth needs a SatNav in Canada? It's not like there were many roads.
Old May 6th 2014, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well, quite. Who on earth needs a SatNav in Canada? It's not like there were many roads.
There are 2 ways though believe it or not for both routes. I know which ones I would choose having done both journeys numerous times.
If Im planning a long drive to several places I do my research on Mapquest or others and find the route I prefer then type them into a word document and print them off. I usually only use mine in larger cities Im not familiar with. Places like Chicago then screw that find a hotel near the C Train and use that for travelling downtown.
Old May 7th 2014, 12:44 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
One certainly doesn't need one here as you can only drive so far before falling off the edge of the The Rock. I bought mine for when I go to the bright lights and big cities.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
One certainly doesn't need one here as you can only drive so far before falling off the edge of the The Rock. I bought mine for when I go to the bright lights and big cities.
America, you mean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.