Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada

On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada

Originally Posted by Calgal
I'm going to... blow all my money and savings etc on gambling, booze and loose men
Where do I sign up?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
No wonder the UK is going to the wall.......
I would imagine the impact is imminent....
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vivienne
Hi
Thank you for all your help about my other question but wanted to ask if anyone knows if i can still claim my benefits when i go to stay with my boyfriend in Canada this year for around 4 months as we want to get married and then i will be returning to get things started back in the uk ..I am not meaning claiming anything from Canada but just being paid my uk benefits while i am gone we are both 51/52 years old
Regards
Vivienne x
Vivienne, you mentioned in another post that you have been visiting Canada for 4-6 months for the past 7 years have the benefits agency been unable to advise you previously or have you only just lost your hearing this year ?
If this is the first time away whilst on benefits, I'm sure they will be the best people to contact directly to get the correct information that way you can be sure you are not commiting any crime
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:11 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway.......I've enjoyed reading this thread.....unfortunately I have no advice for the OP........
Attached Thumbnails On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada-bluetouchpaper.jpg  
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
Vivienne, you mentioned in another post that you have been visiting Canada for 4-6 months for the past 7 years have the benefits agency been unable to advise you previously or have you only just lost your hearing this year ?
If this is the first time away whilst on benefits, I'm sure they will be the best people to contact directly to get the correct information that way you can be sure you are not commiting any crime
Again, I'm sure a judge would forgive you any benefit fraud if you just explain that you are going to see your long-term boyfriend. When it comes to matters of the heart, the court system is often very forgiving. You are very lucky to have found someone to spend those four months a year with.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that everyone is entitled to their opinion but.... this lady is in receipt of a disability benefit due to hearing loss. It's not her fault - she is trying to get on with her life.

She and her fiance are trying to get her application in hand so that she may apply to become a permanant resident after they are married. She has been visiting her fiance for several years and I am sure a lot of people understand how aweful it is to try to maintain a long distance relationship.

She simply asked if anyone knew if she would be able to continue claiming her benefit whilst she is here to get married - it is her intention to return to the UK in order to tie things up once the application for PR is in place.

She is not some scrounger she is a lady in her 50's who has been forced onto disability after many years of a normal working life.

I find a lot of the comments on this thread quite distasteful and unnecessary. Judgemental is not the word!

I also feel extremely embarrased. I suggested this forum to her (after "meeting" her on another forum) and told her how helpful and nice the people are here.

It seems I was wrong.

Sorry Vivienne

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 23rd 2010 at 10:33 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
I realise that everyone is entitled to their opinion but.... this lady is in receipt of a disability benefit due to hearing loss. It's not her fault - she is trying to get on with her life.

She and her fiance are trying to get her application in hand so that she may apply to become a permanant resident after they are married. She has been visiting her fiance for several years and I am sure a lot of people understand how aweful it is to try to maintain a long distance relationship.

She simply asked if anyone knew if she would be able to continue claiming her benefit whilst she is here to get married - it is her intention to return to the UK in order to tie things up once the application for PR is in place.

She is not some scrounger she is a lady in her 50's who has been forced onto disability after many years of a normal working life.

I find a lot of the comments on this thread quite distasteful and unnecessary. Judgemental is not the word!

I also feel extremely embarrased. I suggested this forum to her (after "meeting" her on another forum) and told her how helpful and nice the people are here.

It seems I was wrong.

Sorry Vivienne
Thank you, someone with a compassionate perspective. Some of you people should be ashamed of yourselves.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Thank you, someone with a compassionate perspective. Some of you people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Indeedy...a liberal self flagellation with ye twigs of birch at the very least
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:36 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Again, I'm sure a judge would forgive you any benefit fraud if you just explain that you are going to see your long-term boyfriend. When it comes to matters of the heart, the court system is often very forgiving. You are very lucky to have found someone to spend those four months a year with.
I'm outraged that the court system in the UK would act in this way. It shows that the PC brigade have just gone too far in today's modern Britain. I think it is high time that these benefit scroungers were forced into work for instead of being given handouts at the expense of hard working families.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice
Default Re: On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Canada

It seems I was wrong.

Sorry Vivienne
I understand where you are coming from and think that your post is 100% correct. I share your concerns and think that some of the posters have adopted an unacceptable approach. She only asked a question and people are being jugdemental and rude and almost accusing her of being a criminal.

The fact is that anyone who looks into emigrating are trying to better themselves - at least they are trying to do so. A little encouragement wouldn't go a miss. Even if you disagree with someone, you don't have to express your opinions in an agressive, demeaning and belittling way - you can be constructive even when you disagree with someone.

I am sure that there will be some smartarsed replies to both yours and my own post but that is what one comes to expect from people who appear to like to show how clever they are by belittling others.

Last edited by Yelkcub; Feb 24th 2010 at 8:53 am.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:09 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems I was wrong.

Sorry Vivienne
I think most people on the thread are amazed that she actually asked "us"the question .

She should ask her self if she thinks she is entitled to still claim her benefit, while out of the country for 4 months. If she answers yes, then perhaps she would like to justify to others why she thinks she is. If she answers no....

Let me ask you a question. You are obviously angry at the stance we have all taken....Why? do you think she should get her benefit? if so why?

You advised her to come on to this forum and ask, why did you not advise her to just ask the benefits people?

When you come on to an open forum be prepared for all responses, not just the ones you want to hear.

People on this forum are nice, helpful, and supportive, I know I have received all three in the last few months.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Why? do you think she should get her benefit? if so why?

In certain situations, including a temporary absence, the law allows it for a short period. The subject is not about maintaining a claim while living abroad it is about maintaing a claim while ordinarily resident in the UK but away for a bit. If 'the bit' is too long, it's not paid.

Is that so unreasonable?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:30 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
In certain situations, including a temporary absence, the law allows it for a short period. The subject is not about maintaining a claim while living abroad it is about maintaing a claim while ordinarily resident in the UK but away for a bit. If 'the bit' is too long, it's not paid.

Is that so unreasonable?
I dont think a week or two is unreasonable, but any longer than that, then yes I do. I think 4 months is totally unacceptable.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:33 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If 'the bit' is too long, it's not paid.
I dont think a week or two is unreasonable, but any longer than that, then yes I do. I think 4 months is totally unacceptable.
For most people it would be four weeks maximum.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are 2 points being made here:

1. Should Vivienne be claiming whilst away? It's not black and white, we don't know her complete circumstances and as per another thread, if the Eastern Europeans are playing the system why can't the Brits?

2. Calgal I think is right to be disgusted that some people play the system, when we all have to work hard to get the same result. Saying that, these people who have no ethics would never stand a chance of getting a paid job in this current climate anyway so you come full circle back to them having to claim benefits! But the one that really gets me is when they go on holiday on our taxes...
you won't be too hard on me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.