Reload this Page >

On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada

On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Vivienne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada

Hi
Thank you for all your help about my other question but wanted to ask if anyone knows if i can still claim my benefits when i go to stay with my boyfriend in Canada this year for around 4 months as we want to get married and then i will be returning to get things started back in the uk ..I am not meaning claiming anything from Canada but just being paid my uk benefits while i am gone we are both 51/52 years old
Regards
Vivienne x
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On Benefits uk and want to visit boyfriend in Cnada

Originally Posted by Vivienne
Hi
Thank you for all your help about my other question but wanted to ask if anyone knows if i can still claim my benefits when i go to stay with my boyfriend in Canada this year for around 4 months as we want to get married and then i will be returning to get things started back in the uk ..I am not meaning claiming anything from Canada but just being paid my uk benefits while i am gone we are both 51/52 years old
Regards
Vivienne x
Aren't you supposed to be available to work when claiming benefits in the UK?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:51 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

If you can afford a 4mth foreign holiday, is it fair to still want to claim benefits?

dbd's correct that if you're not available/actively seeking work, the benefits will stop.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

From another post, i believe she's unable to work due to a disability.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:01 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are on jobseekers allowance (unemployment benefit/income support) you have to notify the benefits office of any time out of the country and you won't be eligeable for benefit during this time
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terese677
If you are on jobseekers allowance (unemployment benefit/income support) you have to notify the benefits office of any time out of the country and you won't be eligeable for benefit during this time
That includes disability living allowance by the way! Its only payable to you whilst in the U.K.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Changes that affect your benefit

If you get benefits and your circumstances change, tell your local benefits office as soon as possible. Reporting changes quickly, means you'll get any increase or new benefit faster. For some changes your payments may be reduced. Find out how a change in your circumstances can affect your benefit claim.
Changes you need to report

You must report any change in your circumstances to your local benefit office as soon as it happens, whether or not you think the change is directly related to your benefits.

Some examples of the changes you need to report include:

* getting married, entering into a civil partnership or moving in with a partner
* moving house
* getting a new job
* getting a pay rise
* inheriting or unexpectedly coming into money
* taking in a lodger
* no longer being sick or ill
* travelling or moving abroad

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you move or travel overseas, you will not automatically receive benefits from the UK. Entitlement will depend on whether your stay abroad is temporary or permanent. You can continue to claim some benefits while you are abroad.
Claiming when abroad

You must let your social security office (or Jobcentre or Jobcentre Plus office) know that you are going abroad. If it is only a temporary move, then give the date you are planning to come back.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Vivienne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
If you can afford a 4mth foreign holiday, is it fair to still want to claim benefits?

dbd's correct that if you're not available/actively seeking work, the benefits will stop.
its not a holiday plus my boyfriend buys my ticket
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:41 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vivienne
its not a holiday plus my boyfriend buys my ticket
Could/would you expect to take 4 months off from a job and expect to be paid while away.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Could/would you expect to take 4 months off from a job and expect to be paid while away.
Depends on what the contract says!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:13 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Depends on what the contract says!
There's that UK sense of humour again.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:14 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

For advice re. UK benefits associated with sickness / disability - this might help, or at least provide some useful links.

Not worth something going wrong, them being withdrawn & then struggling to get them reinstated quickly in my opinion.

Bali

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...m#going_abroad

Benefits abroad
If you are getting a benefit for sickness or disability and you want to know what will happen to your benefit if you go abroad, you can ring the Benefits Enquiry Line.

If you move to another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you may be able to carry on getting the care component of Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Carer's Allowance. Also if you are living in one of these countries, you may be able to claim one of these benefits for the first time. This is called exporting the benefit. If you are interested in doing this, you should contact a member of the exportability team at the Department for Work and Pensions.

You can get more information about claiming these benefits if you are moving or living abroad on the Directgov website at: www.direct.gov.uk.

The website will tell you how to contact the exportability team.

EEA countries are the European Union countries and Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway.

To find out which countries are in the European Union, go to The European Union.

If you are considering going abroad, you can also consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all

My sister works for the benefits fraud agency for people doing this sort of thing if you want me to fast track the process that will happen give me your details and I will get her to take you off benefit and take you to court for fraud. You would face 2-5 years in jail and up to £50K fine.

I have to say people like you disgust me. Benefits are not for living it up with your boyfriend in Canada, people who pay taxes and work for living take offence at that and I can't believe you have even asked this question in a public forum!

Do the decent thing, sign off and go get a life you are clearly well enough to live and stop sponging off the state!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There are different rules for different benefits and what countries are involved. Some benefits will pay the first four weeks of a temporary absence regardless of the moral judgements some people insist on making.

They need to know before you go and if the particular benefit you are receiving can be paid for a period after you leave, they would generally pay it on your return.

If you are away beyond the last date they could pay you for, you would need to make a new claim on your return.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
My sister works for the benefits fraud agency for people doing this sort of thing if you want me to fast track the process that will happen give me your details and I will get her to take you off benefit and take you to court for fraud. You would face 2-5 years in jail and up to £50K fine.

I have to say people like you disgust me. Benefits are not for living it up with your boyfriend in Canada, people who pay taxes and work for living take offence at that and I can't believe you have even asked this question in a public forum!

Do the decent thing, sign off and go get a life you are clearly well enough to live and stop sponging off the state!
Don't listen to all the negative people on here. You deserve a nice long holiday to see your boyfriend. I'd suggest coming in May, that way you can maximize the good weather. You might also consider a side trip to the Bahamas or even a couple of weeks in Las Vegas, you can some good deals these days. Good luck on whatever you decide and have a great time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.