Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Being reassigned to Canada - lots of questions

Being reassigned to Canada - lots of questions

Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

klavillian is a jewel in the roughklavillian is a jewel in the roughklavillian is a jewel in the roughklavillian is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Being reassigned to Canada - lots of questions

Thank you so much for the advice everyone - I've been stewing myself up for days trying to get these answers to fab to have them all in one night.

I'll hassle my employer for further details on package/benefits etc. At the end of the day I want as few financial surprises as possible - wouldn't care if it was just me but got to think of wife and kids.

Stevenson sounds like the place to be - I'll start my search there.

One last thing - I'm assuming we'll need a car??? Would prob just use it for grocery shopping and taking kids to school but wondering if cheaper to rent or buy a used car?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

klavillian is a jewel in the roughklavillian is a jewel in the roughklavillian is a jewel in the roughklavillian is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Would your company assist financially with the relocation expenses? If they will this would make a huge difference to the feasibility of moving. If you have to pay everything yourselves, and the move is only for a finite period of time, it can get very pricey!

What an adventure though! Most of the people on here have done - or are doing - it.
Yeah I'm being provided $25,000 CAN for relocation but after immigration and accountants I'll be lucky to be left with half that which has to go on flights, logistics and storage. Prob going to try and avoid storage if possible. Flights are amazingly expensive.

I'll be working for a software company - just transferring office so been very lucky as not had to worry about looking for job, visas etc.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by klavillian

One last thing - I'm assuming we'll need a car??? Would prob just use it for grocery shopping and taking kids to school but wondering if cheaper to rent or buy a used car?
A car is almost a necessity.
Rentals are very expensive, leasing generally works only with new vehicles.
Depends how long you would be staying.
Lots of used cars available.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:22 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the advice everyone - I've been stewing myself up for days trying to get these answers to fab to have them all in one night.

I'll hassle my employer for further details on package/benefits etc. At the end of the day I want as few financial surprises as possible - wouldn't care if it was just me but got to think of wife and kids.

I would say it depends how long you're intending to stay. Personally I would buy one (assuming I had the cash). Second hand I would think you could pick up an OK family run-around for between $4k and $10k - depending on what you want. Again, not lived in Richmond, but generally I would say most places are geared around driving, not transit (although I'm sure its a lot better in Richmond than almost non-existent around here). It would give you a huge amount more flexibility. Just popping down to the beach with the kids on a Sunday morning before lunch etc.

I love it!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm being provided $25,000 CAN for relocation but after immigration and accountants I'll be lucky to be left with half that which has to go on flights, logistics and storage. Prob going to try and avoid storage if possible. Flights are amazingly expensive.
Just to give you an idea on what others have spent on the move, this thread may be useful - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

I'll be working for a software company - just transferring office so been very lucky as not had to worry about looking for job, visas etc.
Just checking, but you are aware you need a visa, and that if you want to stay longer term you'll need to apply for PR at some point?

Here's info on the visa you'd be applying for if you move - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada

HTH.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is possible to live without one but I wouldn't want to. In reality you will need a car. Public transit in Richmond is not too bad as long as you live near a bus route and the Sky Train runs from Richmond Centre to downtown Vancouver. However, Richmond (and most of Metro Vancouver) is designed for people who have the use of a vehicle.

Long-term rental is expensive so I would plan on buying. You can look on Craig's List to get an idea of prices. Don't forget that if you buy from a dealer then will be 12% tax on top. Even if you buy privately there will be a 7% tax (collected when you register and insure the car.)
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:34 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I've just checked with a friend, but are you aware Klavillian, that as far as I understand it, if your wife isn't working, you can claim her tax allowance against your salary as well? Since we have been setting up and establishing a business for the last 3 years, I have been giving my tax allowance to my wife who is working in a proper job. Any income I get (fat chance) would come in the form of repayment of Directors' loan - so no tax to pay. Might as well use my allowance on her earnings.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK HMRC assign you a tax code and tell your employer what it is. In Canada you set your own tax code. When you start work your employer will give you two forms (one provincial and one federal) you use to calculate your tax code. Your can claim your spouse's unused allowances on this form.

Some people prefer to claim only the basic tax code so they will be certain to get a refund when they claim their spouse's allowance on their tax return. To me, that is just giving the government an interest free loan.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

Talking of cars, it is worth knowing that Richmond is as flat as a pancake. As long as you avoid the arterial roads cycling is a feasible option.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:48 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I'd live in Richmond too if I were working there. I don't know Richmond very well, but one thing to bear in mind if your wife is going to be a stay at home mum is to find an area which is ethnically mixed. Otherwise she might be lonely due to lack of english speakers etc.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Richmond's own city infrastructure isn't always pretty, but the waterfront is pretty. And I do argue, there is beauty in Steveston, and the older, more established residential neighbourhoods can be very pretty... but you won't see them by casually driving around Richmond. You have to get off the main Richmond roads and know where they are. And again, most people who don't go to Richmond often never see these parts, even people who have grown up in Vancouver.

Lulu Island (the island that Richmond is located on) is at sea level, or in fact, slightly below sea level. Once a boggy marshland, Lulu Island has been dyked entirely, with a bike path/walking trail following around its circumference. The West Dyke Trail that spans from Steveston at the southwest to Terra Nova at the north-west is prime real estate and offers spectacular panoramic views. It's a ethnically mixed area with beautiful homes, lush gardens, and you're minutes away from the Dyke for walking paths. The sunsets are sublime. This is a different part of Richmond than the Richmond along No 3 Road and Westminster Highway, which is a horrid mix of gridlock, shopping malls, and ugly concrete shopping plazas. Mind you, it does have authentic Hong Kong cuisine. (Richmond's Asian community primarily consists of the thousands of affluent immigrants who fled Hong Kong in the late 80s/early 90s).

It would be convenient to get a car. You can drive anywhere in Richmond in 15 minutes or less. You can drive from Richmond to downtown Vancouver in 30 minutes. You can drive from Richmond to the US border in 30 minutes. You can drive from Richmond to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal (ferries to Vancouver Island) in 20 minutes. Richmond is a very central place for exploring Metro Vancouver.

As others have said, Richmond is also flat, and there are bike lanes, so you could easily cycle. While public transit does exist, the buses don't come as frequently as they do in neighbouring Vancouver. There is the Canada Line - the rapid transit/Skytrain/subway style train that connects central Richmond to downtown Vancouver - however, this is not an area you'd want to live close to. This is the busy, ugly part of Richmond that most people visiting Richmond only ever venture to. You'll go shopping here, but you won't want to live along the Canada Line in Richmond - it's the ugliest part.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 10th 2014 at 12:25 am.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Try the CRA online calculator to estimate your monthly pay.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce.../pdoc-eng.html

Using this calculator I have a net monthly pay of about $5950.00. This is using you, your wife and two kids for your personal exemption.

Good Luck

Last edited by Juliew; Jan 10th 2014 at 2:52 am.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:07 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliew
Try the CRA online calculator to estimate your monthly pay.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce.../pdoc-eng.html

Using this calculator I have a net monthly pay of about $5950.00. This is using you, your wife and two kids for your personal exemption.

Good Luck
Yep. His effective tax rate is about 27%. I'd imagine this is lower than a ~60k GBP salary in the UK.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
If you're going to live in Richmond (I lived there), I would consider Steveston, the fishing village. It's an authentic, real community where you get to know the shop owners, the locals, etc. There's also a bit of history and character there, and it's walkable.

Isn't that where they film the TV show Once Upon A Time?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to provincial and federal income taxes - do you pay both or just one? I'm used to the UK system of income tax + NI so the idea of federal and provincial tax is very confusing and can't seem to find anything that explains this in a simple way.

You pay both but they are automatically deducted from your paycheque. When tax return time comes just hire an accountant (there are so many who do tax returns that prices are very reasonable) and they will figure out your deductions and whether you are due a refund.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.