Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Been Here a Month - Thoughts and Views

Been Here a Month - Thoughts and Views

Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all
Default Re: Been Here a Month - Thoughts and Views

Dingbat - you could have taken the words directly from my mouth!!! I'm not even sure I can make it another year to get to citizenship at this rate but I'm determined to try.

Pink Panther

Originally Posted by dingbat
You don't. There is a prevailing myth that spectacular scenery and space equates to a better lifestyle. When you are living in a typical crowded street in the UK and are sick of the perceived "rat-race" in the UK, Canada looks appealing. However, when the holiday mode dries up and reality bites...if you are missing some of the key factors which enriched your life elsewhere, you may find yourself bored to death and oddly empty. For me, cheap travel, life-long friends, a myriad of cultural experiences on my doorstep, good theatre and concerts, decent education for my kids, decent salary for a high stress job...all of these things are missing here in Canada. I contemplate the pickle I am in at length when I sit in my garden looking at the mountains, as homesick now as I was ten years ago. Should I have thought about moving here in more depth than I did? Oh yes, but that's easy to say with hindsight. I had lived here before, I visited often, I thought I knew what I was doing. Canada offered everything I thought I needed for my family....the much vaunted "better lifestyle". Ha. I am not kidding when I say that I am screaming inside at the tedium.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Kuljit has a brilliant futureKuljit has a brilliant futureKuljit has a brilliant futureKuljit has a brilliant futureKuljit has a brilliant futureKuljit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Here’s my view’s of the first month in Ontario – GTA Region.
Moved here early May with wife and two young children. All in all no nasty surprises, I think we have settled well.

The week before we left was tough. Our parents adore their grandkids and to take them away was heartbreaking in the end.

The first few weeks are very frustrating, things you take for granted are difficult, take more time, etc. I’ve not seen anything off-putting to date, in fact the opposite. People are friendly, good weather, great facilities for the kids, dog shit free parks with equipment that hasn’t been wrecked by the local ****wits.

Its difficult to tell compare the cost of living to the UK at present, as we, seem to be paying out all the time will get a clearer picture over next few months.

The Big Buys - Cars & Houses. - Cheaper on the basis that you get more for your money but you still may have to pay out the same money !

House Rental – Beware from our experience renters want a years lease from you.

Clothing - Canadians are not known for there dress sense. Stock up on clothing especially kids stuff. The good quality, low price gear available in the UK at places such as Asda George, etc just isn’t here. Kids footwear, again if you can get some good quality stuff cheap, bring double. Same goes for school shoes etc.

Food shipping – About the same when you suss out what you want. Eating out is cheap,

Cellphones - sh*te and expensive in my opinion.

Car Insurance – bring as much info as possible from the UK. Costly but not as high as expected. A new 7 seater minivan (7 seater) is $170 / month for Self and Wife.

Cable / Home Phone / www - Bank on $100 / month minimum if you want all three.

Beds – Quality, they'll last forever but expensive. Bedding - Remember beds are bigger. Walmart has good choice and is reasonable $

For housing furniture, appliances costs etc check www.thebrick.ca (or com) and Sears.

My main concern here is financing this lifestyle. Even though I’m on a good salary by Canadian standards, I reckon I’m earning 25-30 % nett less per month than I was in the UK. A 4 bed double garage house here is around $450K. More house than I'd get in the UK but we’ll still mortgage a similar amount to what we would’ve done had we stayed, but less nett income to pay it off quicker.

From what I’ve seen if you’re not bringing at least 100K minimum over I simply cannot see how you will fund “The Lifestyle” and live here confortably. Canada’s not cheap. Its OK to say your life isn’t driven by money, but FACT you need money to buy stuff & do things.

I guess what I need to do is put a value on the non financial stuff especially where the kids are concerned.

What are posters thoughts / experiences on this?

Hi Buchan6

With regards to the car insurance who did you get it with? We are paying $350 per month for a new 7 seater minivan in just hubby's name. We brought with us our old certificates of insurance and a letter confirming number of years no claims bonus, but nobody was interested in these documents.This was the cheapest quote as some the quotes were $620 per month.

forgot to mention we are in Toronto.

thanks

Kuljit

Last edited by Kuljit; Jun 16th 2006 at 3:30 pm. Reason: add location
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kuljit
Hi Buchan6

With regards to the car insurance who did you get it with? We are paying $350 per month for a new 7 seater minivan in just hubby's name. We brought with us our old certificates of insurance and a letter confirming number of years no claims bonus, but nobody was interested in these documents.This was the cheapest quote as some the quotes were $620 per month.

thanks

Kuljit
Bloody ell that's extortionate !! We're in Alberta, and are paying just $135 a month for both myself and hubby to drive our 93 Mercury Sable (no gaffs please, it was our first run-around ), a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan, AND Tenants contents insurance - all through ING Insurance!!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Mercury Sable
HAAAAAAAAAAAAA LOLOLOL ROFLOL Hehehehehe......

(sorry, couldn't resist - you walked into that one )
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
HAAAAAAAAAAAAA LOLOLOL ROFLOL Hehehehehe......

(sorry, couldn't resist - you walked into that one )
Yeh, tell me bout it!! The story of us buying it is even MORE hillarious!! But I won't go there....let's just say it's tarnished our opinion of Edmonton Buyers beware of an english guy called Colin living in north Edmonton, selling a car in the Autotrader - he is really a TRADER
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:36 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

What??? "Honest Colin"????? never!!!!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:44 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

HI

Very interested in your thread. Good to hear how other people settle in - we hope to land sometime this year subject to London.

When we were last out in Toronto last June we went to the new big shopping mall out near the theme park - and can I remember the name - well any way they were getting the first Canada based Burlington Coat Factory - we shopped there for our kids in Phoenix, Arizona every year and loved it - the clothes were great and the quality excellent. Everytime they wore one of the outfits people admired them.

We have been looking at house prices and it really comes down to where you want to live and how far you are willing to commute. Out aunts who stay near the Hamilton area keep telling us even the small town prices are getting higher so the sooner we can land and buy the better.

We don't mind working hard and so long as our kids can get a better quality of life the whole process will be worth it. Put it like this the UK is now non existent and there is nothing left, so it can't be any worse.

We notice a lot of the prices for things by logging on to the web sites and it is very varied - you save money in one way and spend more in others - simple things like bread and milk I find expensive and yet tools and hosuehold stuff are better quality and lots cheaper - my husband has just read the Candian Tyre leaflet and was sickened when he seen what they pay for things - less in Cdn $ than we pay in £s.

Every time I come back from Canada or the US I am loaded up with household items - I even brought wallpaper and floor tiles back one year - their bedding and curtains are fab - again you just have to shop around and look for ther sales.

Put it like this if everything was greener on the other side the UK would be empty and Canada would be overcrowded.

hope I haven't bored you.

Irene
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Morwenna
What??? "Honest Colin"????? never!!!!
We fell for all his B/S hook, line and sinker........that's what you get when desperation sets in after driving around in hire cars for 6 weeks. Who'd have thought a fellow Brit would flog us a "private sale" car when really he'd picked it up from the auctions. Anyway, it was all we could afford at the time out of our "allocated vehicle fund"......apart from the headache we had when driving the thing home from Edmonton last September, it's not been that bad of an A2B'er
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

It really ticks me off when people say that Canadian clothing styles are appalling - someone said

Yes but they get Canada-ised, the styles are appalling. Same applies for a lot of brands Ive seen, i.e. Orange & Yellow Checked Timberland Shirts !!!!!!!

I mean - let's face it - where on earth do you see someone wearing an orange and yellow shirt? And even if they have them for sale - you don't have to buy them.

And the appalling comment - sure - and by whose standard? Paris, London, Milan Sydney, Vancouver -- or are you Stella McCartney or somethng.

As far as I am concerned, I bet if you picked four cities all around the world - people would consider clothing "fashionable" in Tokyo but someone from Milan might say they were awful. It's all very subjective.

I don't really care what other people think. People in Regina tend to dress for comfort rather than for a fashion show. Does it matter?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I don't really care what other people think. People in Regina tend to dress for comfort rather than for a fashion show. Does it matter?
It matters to teenagers. It would have been difficult for girls at my daughter's school not to have access to fashion. That meant much ordering via relatives in Europe and shopping while on holiday.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

But my point is - my granddaughter is fashionable for the fashions that are in in Regina. She does not care what is fashionable in London or Milan or whereever because she doesn't live there.

She wants to be like all the other girls that she hangs around with. If she lived in London maybe she would not be "in" the latest fashion. Maybe if she dressed like the 12/13 year olds in London she would look strange here.

The girls here all have to have long straight hair and skimpy (in my view) clothes. If short curly hair and baggy clothes were the "in" thing in London she would not want to be like that because it would not look like the fashionable girls here!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:43 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

spot on - you should dress how you feel comfortable. when I said I purchased clothes from the Burlington Coat Factory, it was because I loved the style and price of the clothes, they did a lot of 2 and 3 piece outfits so everythign was co-ordinated - you did not get anything to match them in the UK unless you paid designer prices, which I can't afford. Also at the mall which I can't remember the name of I went into one of the best children's shops ever (the were holding a Canada day sale - fab) and got my 5 year old the most feminine skirt and cardigan set - she hates trousers and loves dresses, which I encourage as they are only children for a short time.

I refuse to buy clothes which are 'labels' unless they are in sales etc, as I would not give them the money.

It would be a very boring world if we all dressed the same - although I must admit I am not keen on the 'skimpy' outfits. I feel children are put in adult style clothing too early. what happened to childhood/
Old Jun 16th 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, I tend to agree about the skimpy clothes. But they all seem to wear them and when they get to be 12 or 13 if you bought them more modest outfits - they wouldn't wear them!! Mind you she did get me to buy her one of those really short denim skirts. They are really an outrageous price because they are just cut off at the bottom with a raw edge! Anyway, she got some - now I can't remember what they are called - capri length whatchamacallits - tight things with lace around the bottom - to wear under the short skirt!

Isn't that stupid - we were just talking about them!
Old Jun 17th 2006, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98

The other problem with fashion is that the items become unfashionable before you get the wear out of them

To prove it I have some bell bottomed pants and flowered shirts in excellent condition if anyone is intersted.

OOps I'm showing my age.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

[QUOTE=No1_mom]HI

Hi Irene

Where are you heading to when you move over?

Where in Glasgow are you right now.

We moved here from Glasgow just under 7 years ago. We are in Hamilton, not everyone's first choice, especially on this forum.

We love it here, obviously get homesick from time to time but thats to be edxpected.

Back to the forum points, Life is expensive here. Depending on your location, car costs, insurance costs :scared: :scared: , thankfully now got insurance to a reasonable $220 per month for 2 cars. Kids activities here costly, depending of course on what they do. But like many other posters before me, the kids are growing up into well balanced, well mannered and respectful young people. That is not to say that they would not have developed the same way in Glasgow, but the peer presssure here is more positive ( in my experience) and it allows the young people to express themselves however they like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.