Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Been Here a Month - Thoughts and Views

Been Here a Month - Thoughts and Views

Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been Here a Month - Thoughts and Views

hmmm......this is what i was afraid of hearing!
we were in ontario for around 8 to 10 months a couple of years ago and left the uk with full intentions never to return. i had a very good job, paying around $45 000 and everything looked rosy for a few months and then...pffft, we suddenly started missing everything we had in the uk!
so we upped sticks and came back, only to find that what we had been missing, does not exist! in the time we were in canada, we had almost forgotten about yobs (although we did find they do exist in places), vandalism, in-your-face-racism, extortionate prices for virtually everything etc etc.
now we have been back in the uk and have managed to settle down again, the frightening stories about knife culture, gang violence, a govt out of control etc are back to haunt us!
so who knows where is best--every country has its negatives.
at the end of the day, you should try and make the best of where you are--life is pretty damn short as it is, and you cant keep moving from place to place all the time!
Old Jun 17th 2006, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Here’s my view’s of the first month in Ontario – GTA Region.
Moved here early May with wife and two young children. All in all no nasty surprises, I think we have settled well.

The week before we left was tough. Our parents adore their grandkids and to take them away was heartbreaking in the end.

The first few weeks are very frustrating, things you take for granted are difficult, take more time, etc. I’ve not seen anything off-putting to date, in fact the opposite. People are friendly, good weather, great facilities for the kids, dog shit free parks with equipment that hasn’t been wrecked by the local ****wits.

Its difficult to tell compare the cost of living to the UK at present, as we, seem to be paying out all the time will get a clearer picture over next few months.

The Big Buys - Cars & Houses. - Cheaper on the basis that you get more for your money but you still may have to pay out the same money !

House Rental – Beware from our experience renters want a years lease from you.

Clothing - Canadians are not known for there dress sense. Stock up on clothing especially kids stuff. The good quality, low price gear available in the UK at places such as Asda George, etc just isn’t here. Kids footwear, again if you can get some good quality stuff cheap, bring double. Same goes for school shoes etc.

Food shipping – About the same when you suss out what you want. Eating out is cheap,

Cellphones - sh*te and expensive in my opinion.

Car Insurance – bring as much info as possible from the UK. Costly but not as high as expected. A new 7 seater minivan (7 seater) is $170 / month for Self and Wife.

Cable / Home Phone / www - Bank on $100 / month minimum if you want all three.

Beds – Quality, they'll last forever but expensive. Bedding - Remember beds are bigger. Walmart has good choice and is reasonable $

For housing furniture, appliances costs etc check www.thebrick.ca (or com) and Sears.

My main concern here is financing this lifestyle. Even though I’m on a good salary by Canadian standards, I reckon I’m earning 25-30 % nett less per month than I was in the UK. A 4 bed double garage house here is around $450K. More house than I'd get in the UK but we’ll still mortgage a similar amount to what we would’ve done had we stayed, but less nett income to pay it off quicker.

From what I’ve seen if you’re not bringing at least 100K minimum over I simply cannot see how you will fund “The Lifestyle” and live here confortably. Canada’s not cheap. Its OK to say your life isn’t driven by money, but FACT you need money to buy stuff & do things.

I guess what I need to do is put a value on the non financial stuff especially where the kids are concerned.

What are posters thoughts / experiences on this?
Spot on!

I love the fact that people wair shorts from when the snow melts until it falls again!

Also there is a fantastic semi-pioneering spirit here in Canada, still!

And when, one watches the wild life documents covering the North American continent - it has a whole new meaning to one , I feel!
Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:01 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julius smith
hmmm......this is what i was afraid of hearing!
Hi Julius,

Sorry to hear things are not as rosy as you remembered them in the UK, but what was it you were afraid of hearing?

It's good for people to know that Canada is not a utopia, but on balance it is working for us so far. I've heard that people who try to go back find "it's not the same" .... there is no true going back, I feel. You can't turn back the clock, and too many times I've heard that people end up feeling sorta mid-Atlantic .... lost at sea, as it were!

So are you planning on staying put in the UK now? .... It's not too late to come back you know.

How about trying somewhere decent like Alberta?
Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:06 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Hi Julius,

More Specifically NW Calgary, eh?

BTW Mrs C says thanks for the word about Amaranth. She bought quite a bit yesterday and plans a weekly visit when we get in the house
Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:09 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
More Specifically NW Calgary, eh?

BTW Mrs C says thanks for the word about Amaranth. She bought quite a bit yesterday and plans a weekly visit when we get in the house
Good! ... is she feeling any better?? ... did TH survive the invasion?
Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:11 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Good! ... is she feeling any better?? ... did TH survive the invasion?
She is feeling better but it seems to be a 'comes in waves' thing.
Yes They calmed down slightly when they found a little friend with a broken arm.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 7:05 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1066
Not to mention a very rare roach holder encrusted with semi-precious paste ...
Get your hands out of my pockets Les.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi, morwenna!
good to hear from you!
you obviously remember what we went through during our move to canada!
basically, as you say, you just cannot move back the hands of time--when in canada, we felt a certain nostalgia at what the uk USED to be, silly things like milk floats in the morning, corner shops, the nhs system, minimum 4 weeks holiday when working, etc etc.
but when we got back here, we initially felt that we had come back to a dump--the litter on the streets was so bad, everywhere was grafitti, yobs hanging around every street corner, a badly overloaded nhs system and a labour govt out of control of everything!!
ok, those feelings have gone away somewhat now, but i have begun to get itchy feet again now!
apparently our immigration papers are valid for 5 years from the time we landed in canada, but nobody seems to know if it is possible to take a short trip to canada again before the 5 years is up, thereby saving our immigration status from being anulled?
as for moving back, we have been talking about it, but the kids are now ar critical gcse stage, so we have to let them get educated to at least A level standard, before moving again.
we did talk about looking at calgary or bc, as we did not like GTA very much!!!

Hi Julius,

Sorry to hear things are not as rosy as you remembered them in the UK, but what was it you were afraid of hearing?

It's good for people to know that Canada is not a utopia, but on balance it is working for us so far. I've heard that people who try to go back find "it's not the same" .... there is no true going back, I feel. You can't turn back the clock, and too many times I've heard that people end up feeling sorta mid-Atlantic .... lost at sea, as it were!

So are you planning on staying put in the UK now? .... It's not too late to come back you know.

Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:15 am
little snowy owl

Hey Julian. How long were you in Canada before you moved back .... you know you only have to accumulate 2 years of physical presence in Canada in every 5 year period to meet your residency requirement?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/irpa/fs-residents.html

It'd be great if you could manage that, at least to keep your options open. It's SUCH a long haul to get PR status these days, and you might not manage it again.

It'd urge anybody who feels maybe Canada is not cutting it for them to think so carefully before jacking it all in before getting their citizenship if you can. Julius is not the first we've heard of on here who ends up going to and fro before they settle down!

Everybody should remember ther ARE cons as well as pros about living in Canada, and when things get tough the instinct IS to run home. Heh that's why we made sure we didn't leave that particular "escape route" tbh!

If you really wonder if you made a horrible mistake, then maybe the "thousand dollar homesick cure" is called for. You have to try to remember all the reasons why you left to start with.

I read on here a good idea (which I didn't follow ). It was to take photos and make notes of all the reasons (pushes and pulls) why you wanted out. Put them in a scrap book and look at them when those doubts arise!
Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:27 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

If you really wonder if you made a horrible mistake, then maybe the "thousand dollar homesick cure" is called for. You have to try to remember all the reasons why you left to start with.

I read on here a good idea (which I didn't follow ). It was to take photos and make notes of all the reasons (pushes and pulls) why you wanted out. Put them in a scrap book and look at them when those doubts arise!
Sometimes a trip back is not enough for some, they have to take the full $10,000 or higher cure and do the complete move.

This is not meant as a slam against Julius, it's just a fact of life.

It has been done many times in the past and probably will be done many more times in the future.

The scrapbook idea sounds like a good one, but how many people would actually do it?
Old Jun 18th 2006, 3:28 am
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

Funny, I was going to do that before I left the UK - I lived near Nottingham so photos of chavs, litter, vomiting drunks and knife-wielding hoodies was going to be no problem. But I was too nervous to take my nice camera out, probably would have been mugged!
Old Jun 19th 2006, 12:45 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Cheers.
All for your input some very useful points to ponder.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 12:52 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Cheers.
All for your input some very useful points to ponder.
Hi Buchan. Was it Guelph you ended up in?

Hope the spirits are still high.