Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Been Here 5 Months, Can't Ever See Myself Going Back

Been Here 5 Months, Can't Ever See Myself Going Back

Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been Here 5 Months, Can't Ever See Myself Going Back

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Here being Toronto. Seriously, I'm kicking myself almost daily for not moving twenty years ago. There's a few odd trivial material things that the UK does better - mobile phones being the most obvious one - but, in all the ways that really count to me, Canada is way ahead.
That's the spirit! A refreshing change from the usual "OMG, there's no proper bacon and the houses are flimsy firetraps!" postings.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

Glad to hear everything is going well for you and that you are enjoying it so much.

I agree, glad to see a positive post.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:20 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bill_S
That's the spirit! A refreshing change from the usual "OMG, there's no proper bacon and the houses are flimsy firetraps!" postings.
Or sausage
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:36 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

This thread reminded me of a recent presentation i saw about Behavioural Economics, and more accurately, the differences in Experiencing Self and Remembering Self.

I wonder how relevant this is to many people on here.

A quick search found it posted on Youtube, since you can't embed TED recordings.

"And it's sort of interesting to trace what is going to happen to people who move to California in the hope of getting happier. Well, their experiencing self is not going to get happier. We know that. But one thing will happen. They will think they are happier, because, when they think about it, they'll be reminded of how horrible the weather was in Ohio. And they will feel they made the right decision."

Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
This thread reminded me of a recent presentation i saw about Behavioural Economics, and more accurately, the differences in Experiencing Self and Remembering Self.

A quick search found it posted on Youtube, since you can't embed TED recordings.

"And it's sort of interesting to trace what is going to happen to people who move to California in the hope of getting happier. Well, their experiencing self is not going to get happier. We know that. But one thing will happen. They will think they are happier, because, when they think about it, they'll be reminded of how horrible the weather was in Ohio. And they will feel they made the right decision."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XgRlrBl-7Yg
Not sure I followed then entirely, but isnt Feeling happier the ultimate aim, regardless of ones actual verifiable level of happiness?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Not sure I followed then entirely, but isnt Feeling happier the ultimate aim, regardless of ones actual verifiable level of happiness?
It's an interesting watch if you have a spare 20 minutes.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:13 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S

OMG that reminds me, theres no proper bacon in Canada, and the houses are flimsy firetraps....!!!

On nevermind...I think thats where I am...
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

In Toronto Even my enthusiasm doesn't run that far!
Meant Canada in general for that one obviously.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Exactly the UK was just too hip and happening for you..i guess its like finding the right girlfriend and Toronto is yours.

Note to self no holidays in Toronto
I don't need a girlfriend since I already have a wife.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Meant Canada in general for that one obviously.
Europe has some stunning scenery too as I remember it.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_richo

Well, most sane people indulge in a bit of post hoc rationalization from time to time, that's for sure. What I can say is that, as someone who's lived in a lot of different places on and off, I do have a reasonably balanced view on what's good and bad. It's not like I lived my whole life in London and now need to justify why I left. I've lived in London, Tampere, New York, Boston, Cambridge (UK) and Paris for long enough in each case to form a view on what I like or dislike about them. So far, Toronto is winning by quite some margin.

...and I'm a vegetarian so bacon isn't an issue and to anyone that says you can't get good cheese here you clearly haven't been to the St. Lawrence Market any time recently.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:34 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Right, here's a random selection:

trust - many of the kinds of transactions that used to work on trust in the UK and have become formalised and legalised are still done on trust here. Lots of little examples but not having my tubes of coins double checked when I paid them into the bank the other day would be one. I could give endless other examples in a professional context too.

politeness - there's generally more of it about I find.

balance of power between the state and the individual - it's a joy not to have to read daily of some new horrible intrusion into my personal life by the government.

housing - better and cheaper. I have a house here within walking distance of work that I couldn't dream of owning in the UK.

geeks - I am one, I love them and Toronto is stuffed with them.

people - I've met more genuinely nice people in 5 months in Toronto than I met in the last 10 years of living in London.

scenery - obviously entirely amazing.
People are genuinely nice, yes...but boring as f***
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Europe has some stunning scenery too as I remember it.
True enough. On that one I'm more comparing with the UK specifically where there is some beautiful scenery but nothing like as much as the world's second largest country and considerably more crowded.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:37 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in London, Tampere, New York, Boston, Cambridge (UK) and Paris for long enough in each case to form a view on what I like or dislike about them. So far, Toronto is winning by quite some margin.
I assume you are very tired of life?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need a girlfriend since I already have a wife.
Always good to have a back-up plan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.