Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Been Here 5 Months, Can't Ever See Myself Going Back

Been Here 5 Months, Can't Ever See Myself Going Back

Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:21 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been Here 5 Months, Can't Ever See Myself Going Back

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I prefer the Veggie Patch Chicken style burgers.
If you're into vegetableism why would you want something that's created in the style of chicken? I don't understand why marketing departments think veggie-folk need the assurance that their food has some sort of association with meat. Is it to be seen as mainstream and less quirky?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

To the OP - glad you feel settled and happy in your new life. I've been here for 18 months and feel exactly the same. I love the fact that it's not overcrowded and it doesn't take me an hour and a half to drive 18 miles to work every morning. I work harder here than I did in the UK, and sometimes longer hours, but I'm self employed here, not governed by the silly politics within the NHS, and have more job satisfaction than I could have ever hoped for.
Yes, there are things that you can't get here or aren't as good as they are in the UK, but I left the UK for a reason, and I didn't expect everything to be the same here. The people in the area I live are definitely a more friendly bunch than those I experienced back home, and it's great not to have loads of chavs hanging around
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:56 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
what a load of crap. Being happy is about your life coming together in a particular place where ever that may be. Not 'thinking' you are happier.
The point being, you are happy in that particular place whether it's in the UK or California. To think that you're "happier" is based upon your remembering self and the comparisons it makes, however accurate or inaccurate. The example being, the weather where you live in California is great and your remembering self recalls abysmal weather in the UK, therefore you think you are happier.

Whether that's true or not, i have no idea. I'm just interested in the concept.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:02 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minimeeze
...and it's great not to have loads of chavs hanging around
I'll bet, in abbotsford, the chavs are scared away by the UN Gang, and the Hells Angels
Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
The point being, you are happy in that particular place whether it's in the UK or California. To think that you're "happier" is based upon your remembering self and the comparisons it makes, however accurate or inaccurate. The example being, the weather where you live in California is great and your remembering self recalls abysmal weather in the UK, therefore you think you are happier.

Whether that's true or not, i have no idea. I'm just interested in the concept.
What you need is a turing test for happiness.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bet, in abbotsford, the chavs are scared away by the UN Gang, and the Hells Angels
Isn't abby the murder capital of Canada or something. But then maybe those gang-bangers are like the krays - they only kill and maim there own which makes it ok.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 7:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

With that and the Bacon Bros!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_%28gang%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon_B...28gangsters%29
Old Aug 7th 2010, 7:20 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Been here nearly five years and I cannot see me going back. I am looking to move pensions etc this Nov
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:09 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
If you're into vegetableism why would you want something that's created in the style of chicken? I don't understand why marketing departments think veggie-folk need the assurance that their food has some sort of association with meat. Is it to be seen as mainstream and less quirky?
Because sometimes I want a sausage ish sarnie
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Isn't abby the murder capital of Canada or something. But then maybe those gang-bangers are like the krays - they only kill and maim there own which makes it ok.
It sure is! And to top it all - we literally live right around the corner from the Bacon Brothers Our lovely realtor denied all knowledge that they lived there - even though the rest of Abbotsford seemed to know Still, we had CCTV and a cop car guarding the street for the first year we lived here... and I STILL prefer it to the UK
Old Oct 18th 2010, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's such a downer around here a times with people complaining about bacon etc. Not the complaints so much, but the prospect of some wag on the forum making jokes about cheese and whine or something even lamer which I can't think of right now.
The one thing I missed living in UK was something we have in sweden called Kassler. I couldn't get hold of it to save my life. My friends in Canada always miss peameal bacon when they're in europe. So last time in Canada I had a breakfast with peameal bacon. Low and behold - it's Kassler!

Love the stuff! Even happier knowing that that's one thing I won't have to miss. Everything else of Swedish dishes I can cook from what is available in the grocery stores in Canada.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 6:23 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
The one thing I missed living in UK was something we have in sweden called Kassler. I couldn't get hold of it to save my life. My friends in Canada always miss peameal bacon when they're in europe. So last time in Canada I had a breakfast with peameal bacon. Low and behold - it's Kassler!

Love the stuff! Even happier knowing that that's one thing I won't have to miss. Everything else of Swedish dishes I can cook from what is available in the grocery stores in Canada.
Good luck with that
Old Oct 19th 2010, 1:58 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see myself going back ever, but I can see myself going forward or just staying put. Who knows.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:51 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be a lot happier if I won the lottery then I could be a miserable **** anywhere I liked.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Question Is it all down to demographics?

I'm wondering if anyone has done a demographic poll measuring contentment in Canada?

We're clearly all different and I’ve read many threads which all too often break down into tit-for-tat arguments.

It would be interesting to see if Canada 'suits' groups of particular demographics better than others?

For example, in very simplistic terms; 'you're more likely to be happier if you're background is in semi-skilled manual work, you're over 40, you grew up in the countryside and you earned less than £30K in the UK.'

I wonder what, if any, patterns would emerge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.