Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC Services Card - help

BC Services Card - help

Old Nov 4th 2021, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

WinBelle23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BC Services Card - help

Hi, we arrived as new permanent residents on September 9 and made all the relevant applications, including for MSP. We didn’t expect this to kick in until December 1 but had a letter a couple of weeks ago instructing us to get BC Services cards which would then confer medical cover - on a temporary basis as we do not yet have PR cards which are required before the services cards are issued. Already getting confused? We were. On arrival at the ICBC offices we were told a) we would have to get our UK driving licences shredded and, b), the medical cover was only for vaccinations which we have already had. Conflicting information everywhere as another person had told us over the phone that we would get an MSP number and the medical cover would kick in immediately and last for a year until PR cards were issued.

We are reluctant to part with our UK driving licences as we are really on a six-month trial and are not 100% sure we are going to emigrate. I can’t imagine having a Canadian licence will help our insurance back in the UK.

Apologies for being so long-winded but we just don’t know what to do or what the truth of any of this is. So many conflicting sources of information online and from phone conversations with various government representatives.

any advice or comments would be hugely appreciated so thanks in advance.

Jenny
Old Nov 4th 2021, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Services Card - help

Originally Posted by WinBelle23
We are reluctant to part with our UK driving licences as we are really on a six-month trial and are not 100% sure we are going to emigrate. I can’t imagine having a Canadian licence will help our insurance back in the UK.
You can easily get a replacement UK licence if you do decide to move back to the UK, they're not given up permanently. You can't use it in the UK anyway if you visit there. Not sure what the rules are in BC with regard to driving on a UK licence or how long you're allowed to do it for once you're resident there, but hopefully somebody else will be able to advise. Edit: just checked the Wiki and of course the answer is there! You must switch your licence within 90 days according to this page, so you will need to switch it soon. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Drive...Licence-Canada

As for MSP, I'd stick to the official source - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...ge-wait-period

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 4th 2021 at 7:23 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your very quick response. I believe we can drive legally for 90 days then must have the BC licence. I’ve looked back to our pre-arrival services conversations and found an email stating that there are three types of BC Services cards: non-photo, photo ID and combined driver’s licence and Services card. This was in July this year. Is this outdated info?

Thanks.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Farmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WinBelle23
Thank you for your very quick response. I believe we can drive legally for 90 days then must have the BC licence. I’ve looked back to our pre-arrival services conversations and found an email stating that there are three types of BC Services cards: non-photo, photo ID and combined driver’s licence and Services card. This was in July this year. Is this outdated info?

Thanks.
You have 90 days from becoming a resident of BC to exchange your drivers license. If you choose not to, you cannot legally drive after 90 days and would be uninsured if you did drive without a valid drivers license. Not to mention the fines and penalties for driving without a valid license. It is a BC license, not a Canadian license, each province issues their own.
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...r-country.aspx

You can and should register for MSP on arrival, it is active after the balance of the month you arrive and the two successive months. Also be sure to register for Fair Pharmacare.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...ge-wait-period
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...air-pharmacare

Non photo services card is restricted to minors, over 75, temp resident status and people with certain disabilities.

I have always had two cards, then I have two pieces of govt issued ID where required.

Last edited by Farmer on a bike; Nov 4th 2021 at 8:07 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. I think I was mis-informed by the ICBC lady then as we only need the Bc photo services card at present. Not the one combined with a licence. She made an assumption… if we were non-drivers of course we would not need a licence card. LOL.