Reload this Page >

BC Medical Service Plan Help neeed

BC Medical Service Plan Help neeed

Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

leighmcgough is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BC Medical Service Plan Help neeed

Ok,

So we land this summer into Vancouver on a Religious Workers permit under International Mobility Program: Canadian interests – Charitable or religious work [R205(d)] (exemption code C50)

We have our paperwork signed off to apply for the work permit at POE.

This is a bit of context for our arrival.

My query is around this info:

it can take some time for foreign workers to be allowed to get onto the BC-MSP system. https://www.welcomebc.ca/Work-or-Stu...Foreign-Worker

Temporary foreign residents can qualify for B.C.’s Medical Service Plan (MSP) if they are making their home in B.C. and their work permit is valid for six months or more. All new and returning residents are required to fulfill a wait period. The wait period is the balance of the month in which residence is established plus two months. If your work permit is issued after arrival in B.C., the wait begins from the date your work permit is issued. If your work permit limits you to a certain employer, including under the federal Temporary Foreign Worker Program, your employer must provide you with health insurance during the wait period and enrol you in MSP. If you have an open work permit, you are responsible for enrolling yourself in MSP and arranging your own health insurance during the wait period.

We need to arrange short term health cover for my wife as she will be on an open work permit and the charity I am working for should arrange my cover right?

Who have people used for health cover so we're looking for recommendations.

Thanks

Leigh
Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Medical Service Plan Help neeed

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medica...edicare_starts

HTH.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I'm not hijacking but on the same subject...
Why do the provinces require this waiting period for returning residents who've been abroad for vacations over 6 months...is there a logical reason for this?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighmcgough
We need to arrange short term health cover for my wife as she will be on an open work permit and the charity I am working for should arrange my cover right?
If your permit is limited and restricted to one employer, it seems they should. If it is not limited (closed) then no. You might be better talking to the group you are coming to work for about this. They may well have done it before.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
I hope I'm not hijacking but on the same subject...
Why do the provinces require this waiting period for returning residents who've been abroad for vacations over 6 months...is there a logical reason for this?
Presumably to stop those who return for a flying visit just to/and take advantage of our Provincial Health Systems. Unllike the U.K, we don't want anyone doing this and try to do something to prevent/or reduce it. Our system is abused but, TG, nothing like as in Britain.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Thanks,

Do anyone know if I get insurance for a year and cancel or whether there is a specific cover for the 3 months timescale?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Presumably to stop those who return for a flying visit just to/and take advantage of our Provincial Health Systems. Unllike the U.K, we don't want anyone doing this and try to do something to prevent/or reduce it. Our system is abused but, TG, nothing like as in Britain.
I'm not thinking of anyone taking advantage of the system.
Many retirees, like myself, file annual taxes and are resident BC but spend more than 6 months in the sun...where is the abuse and so why the need to wait 90 days, on return, to rejoin the MSP.
I don't get the reason for that.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Look at 'DownUnder' insurance

Covers you for the trip out and up to 3 months after arrival.

One Way Travel Insurance | Emigration Insurance - DUInsure
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
I'm not thinking of anyone taking advantage of the system.
Many retirees, like myself, file annual taxes and are resident BC but spend more than 6 months in the sun...where is the abuse and so why the need to wait 90 days, on return, to rejoin the MSP.
I don't get the reason for that.
Because if you are out of Canada for more than 50% of the year in one stretch, Canada isn't your home.

Just come back 1 day before the 6 months is up. No problem.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

So thread kind of feels high jacked and still looking for actual help and advice rather than a discussion on the merits and failings of the system.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

So thread kind of feels high jacked and still looking for actual help and advice rather than a discussion on the merits and failings of the system.
When I came over, my employer covered the insurance cost until I qualified for MSP. I was also enrolled in their dental/vision/drug extended healthcare from day 1. Note that the insurance I had wouldn't cover day to day or preventative healthcare, it was strictly emergency only. I don't know if any coverage exists to cover day to day like that.

The qualifying period is up to 3 months. It's the balance of your arrival month plus 2 months, in my case I arrived on the 31st of the month, so my waiting period was 2 months + 1 day.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry LMG...please everyone....do not respond to my posts on this thread. Only respond to the actual question.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 4:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Originally Posted by Aviator
If your permit is limited and restricted to one employer, it seems they should. If it is not limited (closed) then no. You might be better talking to the group you are coming to work for about this. They may well have done it before.
Originally Posted by Siouxie
Look at 'DownUnder' insurance

Covers you for the trip out and up to 3 months after arrival.

One Way Travel Insurance | Emigration Insurance - DUInsure
Originally Posted by bc2015
When I came over, my employer covered the insurance cost until I qualified for MSP. I was also enrolled in their dental/vision/drug extended healthcare from day 1. Note that the insurance I had wouldn't cover day to day or preventative healthcare, it was strictly emergency only. I don't know if any coverage exists to cover day to day like that.

The qualifying period is up to 3 months. It's the balance of your arrival month plus 2 months, in my case I arrived on the 31st of the month, so my waiting period was 2 months + 1 day.
I think you will find several answers to your questions in the responses
Old Jun 17th 2017, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

One gets used to threads being hijacked on any internet forum as a new idea strikes someone .............

rather like a conversation in real life really