Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is a UK CEng/IEng worth anything in Canada?

Is a UK CEng/IEng worth anything in Canada?

Old Jun 10th 2017, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

The Mans an Animal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is a UK CEng/IEng worth anything in Canada?

Hi,

After applying for PR via the FSWP; I received the COPR paperwork in the post a few weeks ago, and I am now very much looking forward to my trip to Toronto late August to activate it!!!!

I am planning on spending 2 weeks in Ontario (1 week in Toronto, then thinking about taking train up to Ottawa for 2nd week) before returning home and begin the process of selling up etc to make the move proper.

During the trip, I was hoping I would be able to scope out any potential opportunities to network with potential employers for when I move permanently. I am a Mechanical Engineer by degree and have spent the last 4 and a half years working in the Defence Industry as both a Safety and Manufacturing Engineer. I have read up on the PEng criteria and understand that you need this to be able to call yourself an Engineer over there, but back here I am probably about 12 months or so away from getting my Incorporated status through the IMechE. So I am juggling with the idea in my head of remaining in the UK until I've got my IEng before making the move.

Is a UK CEng/IEng worth anything to Canadian Employers? (With regards to getting my foot in the door so I can gain the required Canadian work experience to make me eligible for PEng), or would I be wasting my time and just make the move sooner and work at getting a job with the experience I already have?

Cheers,

J
Old Jun 11th 2017, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a UK CEng/IEng worth anything in Canada?

yes and no...

CEng/IEng will not help you in gaining you P.Eng but having a degree recognized under the Washington accord ie a degree for C.Eng will.

Why are you applying for I over C Eng? what type of degree do you have?

in terms of getting a job:

IEng is considered a technologist qualification if a potential employer does a simple google search might cause a little confusion when going for an engineers job. No one in Canada is familiar with IEng.

C.Eng is generally recognized by most employers they will see you as the equivalent of a "UK P.Eng ". A very large portion of the engineering workforce is not Canadian and comes from countries who use the term C.Eng

Would i wait? No get over here and get a job you can still purse
CEng/IEng from Canada if you want.

Which way round are you going to do things move then find a job or find a job then move?
Old Jun 11th 2017, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks John,

I've got a BEng (Hons) degree, which the current CEng competency requirement is to either have Masters level learning (MSc modules etc) or the equivalent in work experience. Hence why I am looking at IEng, but I am still looking at getting Chartered a few more years down the line and was thinking that the IEng would be a useful stepping stone towards that.

Regarding getting a job first then move or vice versa. Ideally the former but would consider the latter as one of the things I am hoping to find out when I'm out there at the end of August is just how much demand there really is for Engineers in Ontario before 100% committing to making the move. I am fairly lucky in that I am in a comfortable position in UK w.r.t job security and being on the housing market, but ever since I was at uni I have always wanted to live in Canada and I think if I am going to make the move I am best doing it whilst I'm still single and in my 20s before commitments here become too great. But on the flip side I would only do it if I am confident that I would only be unemployed/working casual jobs for a short time before getting a proper job with decent pay etc.

I am looking at Ontario at the moment as I've been to Toronto various times already with the usual tourist trips to Lake Huron and Niagara, but would consider other provinces if the job market for Engineers is better.

Cheers,

J

Last edited by The Mans an Animal; Jun 11th 2017 at 11:05 am.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:27 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

From a defence industry point of view the need for PEng is not mandated. You will see lots of jobs without that as a requirement.

A lot of people will come on here and say you cant get a job as an engineer without PEng but (from a defence industry) my experience is it is not a major requirement.

You can get financial funding for applying for PEng within 6 months of landing:

Financial Credit Program

I am not saying dont apply but I wouldnt worry too much about it. The bigger issue you will face with the Defence Industry is going to be your lack of a security clearance. I would get your Disclosure Scotland clearance certificate immediately before you land as it will speed up Enhanced Reliability clearance. You may face companies in the Defence Industry which dont understand how clearances work and will only employ Canadian Citizens. This is false unless it is a Canadian Eyes Only project. It can be difficult to get an interview if they dont know what the system allows.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Mans an Animal
Thanks John,

I've got a BEng (Hons) degree, which the current CEng competency requirement is to either have Masters level learning (MSc modules etc) or the equivalent in work experience. Hence why I am looking at IEng, but I am still looking at getting Chartered a few more years down the line and was thinking that the IEng would be a useful stepping stone towards that.
In my day HND with over certain amount of credit, was the requirement for IEng and BEng was the requirement for CEng.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest thing to note is that you can still work in engineering without a P.Eng you must work under the supervision of a P.Eng who will be responsible for sealing and taking professional responsibility for the work. As you say you are still in your 20s so likelihood is this would be happening anyway at your stage of your career. As you say you also cannot use the title engineer.

Some companies, mine included will glass ceiling you if you don't get your P.Eng i.e. in my company you cannot progress to senior intermediate level without a P.Eng.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrken30
In my day HND with over certain amount of credit, was the requirement for IEng and BEng was the requirement for CEng.
No longer the requirement unfortunately, the Engineering Council UK-Spec requirement for CEng is now "An accredited Bachelors degree with honours in engineering or technology, plus either an appropriate Masters degree or Engineering Doctorate (EngD)accredited by a professional engineering institution, or appropriate further learning to Masters level". http://www.engc.org.uk/engcdocuments...20(1).pdfStill

However, what I am interpreting from all the posts is that, although not necessarily required for all roles, PEng would be a very good thing to advertise to potential employers as working towards. My thinking being that it would demonstrate that you are taking an active role in your own personal professional development and my put you in better stead in being offered the role over others (assuming you can show you know the core skills for the job first obviously!). As such, it should be treated the same way as being Chartered or Incorporated is over here from that point of view (my company also operates a glass ceiling system for senior roles, i.e. you won't get them if you're not professionally registered)

I'll look at the Financial Credit Program, get the relevant references for the security clearance I currently hold and work on making the move sooner rather than later. Thanks for your help everyone!

Regards,

J
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies all, plenty food for thought.

The way I am interpreting this is that, although not required for all roles, PEng would be a very good thing to advertise to employers as working towards. As it would demonstrate that you're actively interested in your professional development, and put you in greater stead in being offered the role over others (assuming you can demonstrate the key skills for the job first obviously). As such it should be treated the same way as Chartered or Incorporated is over here (my company also operates a glass ceiling system for senior roles regarding being professionally registered. I.e. If you're not CEng or IEng, you're not getting promoted!).

I'll look at the Financial Credit Program, get references for the security clearances I currently hold and look at making the move sooner rather than later. Thanks for the help all

Regards,

J
Old Jun 15th 2017, 2:21 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

My 5 cents worth (5 cents? I've gone native!).

PEO absolutely and openly does not recognise the washington accord, and from my experience (personal and what I've heard through the institutes) is the most difficult for a British CEng to apply to. Going to a more open jurisdiction- and I'm thinking BC or Alta here- would be one suggestion.

The other is getting in touch with the local IMechE network here. PEO is quite capable of closing other channels for you so I'd be rather cautious about making the first approach. Thos that go at it bull-out-of-the gate style (myself, and what you seem to be planning) seem to have the most difficulty; those that work a few years and then apply seem to have less problems. All assuming you can find work without the PEng but that's never been a problem for me

cheers and good luck

*check out the section on engineering in the wiki. There's a link there to an excellent article on the IMechE website.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to PEO not recognizing the Washington accord it is clear from their website that this is the case and that they will assess each applicants qualification unlike most other provinces which will treat you like a Canadian graduate if you have a recognized wash degree.

However are there numerous examples of people with BENG hons/M.Eng 90's or later degrees in a recognized discipline having an issue with this assessment. or do they in 95% of cases asses them as equivalent.

definitely wont have an issue if you head west... not sure we have much of a defense industry in SK.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johntheScot
With regards to PEO not recognizing the Washington accord it is clear from their website that this is the case and that they will assess each applicants qualification unlike most other provinces which will treat you like a Canadian graduate if you have a recognized wash degree.

However are there numerous examples of people with BENG hons/M.Eng 90's or later degrees in a recognized discipline having an issue with this assessment. or do they in 95% of cases asses them as equivalent.

definitely wont have an issue if you head west... not sure we have much of a defense industry in SK.
Agree about no worries out west I got my UK degree reconized without issue by APEGBC. I even know Canadians who have trouble with PEO, made to jump through extra hoops, if they didn't graduate in Ontario