Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC - GST/PST to HST

BC - GST/PST to HST

Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC - GST/PST to HST

Originally Posted by brizzle
Have to agree with you there.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:36 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony the pilot
A little off topic, when is the new A/c arriving..
Couple of weeks time I go and pick it up, and it's yellow, so they can see me flash past. Soon as I get back, doing the YXX airshow then we're moving up north for a while, probably Smithers. Like a kid at Christmas Willing the CDN$ to keep on strengthening, saving $$$$. Sorry you guys waiting to exchange the other way.

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 25th 2009 at 12:46 am.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:52 am
Banned

MMM_TO is an unknown quantity at this point

HST is coming to Ontario next summer. There hasn't been much news of the fact either A little bit of noise March passed but it's all quiet now.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:04 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This is absolutely right. A clear example was the 90s when companies, jobs and people were leaving BC in droves as a result of the uncompetitive income tax rates.

If we agree that running a massive deficit is not desirable then there are only two options: raise taxes or reduce government spending. This move will do both in a modest way. It will also make BC an easier place to do business in. As the Aviator said above, it is business that creates jobs, which in turn creates wealth, which in turn creates tax revenue.

If tax increases are necessary then sales taxes have less of a dampening effect on economic activity than income taxes.
Only because people don't notice so much - they aren't called stealth taxes for nothing. At the end of the day we as consumers are poorer because our income buys less - this by definition will reduce economic activity. Also sales taxes are inherently unfair as the poor pay a proportionately larger amount of their income on taxable living expenses (clothes etc)
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Only because people don't notice so much - they aren't called stealth taxes for nothing. At the end of the day we as consumers are poorer because our income buys less - this by definition will reduce economic activity. Also sales taxes are inherently unfair as the poor pay a proportionately larger amount of their income on taxable living expenses (clothes etc)
And for the lower income earner they typically dont see wage increases to even match inflation let alone paying more in sales taxes and fees and thats if they even see a wage increase.

Many times lowest paid workers only get a raise when the government raises min.wage.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:19 am
Is it that time already

Tony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Couple of weeks time I go and pick it up, and it's yellow, so they can see me flash past. Soon as I get back, doing the YXX airshow then we're moving up north for a while, probably Smithers. Like a kid at Christmas Willing the CDN$ to keep on strengthening, saving $$$$. Sorry you guys waiting to exchange the other way.
The Yellow Peril..Good luck with that and don't bend it..
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Just seems like a win win for the government to me.
Every invoice i write for my customers has to include 5% GST which i collect for the Government and now next year every invoice i write will have to include 12% HST which i collect for the government.

So i get lots of moans and complaints about higher prices (people are quite tight here in Kelowna) even though i have no say in it.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Just seems like a win win for the government to me.
Every invoice i write for my customers has to include 5% GST which i collect for the Government and now next year every invoice i write will have to include 12% HST which i collect for the government.
But you also now get to reclaim all the tax you pay on your business inputs - not just 5% as you could before. As your business costs are lower you could reduce your prices and still make the same profit.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

But you also now get to reclaim all the tax you pay on your business inputs - not just 5% as you could before. As your business costs are lower you could reduce your prices and still make the same profit.
And you think businesses will do this? Probably going to be like the oil companies and gas prices, they went up fast enough because the price of gas was linked to the rising oil pirce. When oil went down, gas was not quick to follow, then the oil companies claim they are not linked.

The HST is still good for many businesses. Business associations have been pushing for something like this for years. Don't think we'll see a reduction in govt though. One dept might close, but another will likley grow.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:52 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

So what happens if a buy a second hand car though a private sale? Assume I'll have to pay 12% HST? Might as well go to a dealer...

As for the change - most provinces are going this way so it's no big surprise. Still less than VAT....
Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
So what happens if a buy a second hand car though a private sale? Assume I'll have to pay 12% HST? Might as well go to a dealer...

As for the change - most provinces are going this way so it's no big surprise. Still less than VAT....
they'll never be able to enforce that.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:04 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
they'll never be able to enforce that.
they already enforce it for GST, so why not for HST?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:11 pm

they already enforce it for GST, so why not for HST?
Is there no grey economy in canada then?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

You do not pay GST if you buy a used car from a private individual. At the moment you have to pay 7% PST when you register the car in your name. I don't know how this will work in the new tax regime, but in theory it should be abolished.

Edit: by private individual i mean someone who is not registered for GST.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:22 pm

You do not pay GST if you buy a used car from a private individual. At the moment you have to pay 7% PST when you register the car in your name. I don't know how this will work in the new tax regime, but in theory it should be abolished.

Edit: by private individual i mean someone who is not registered for GST.
Surely enforcing this is relies on honesty? If I bought a car from some-one I know I would be buying the car for $10 and giving him $990 as a *gift* (for example)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.