Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC - GST/PST to HST

BC - GST/PST to HST

Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default BC - GST/PST to HST

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...717/story.html

How can Premier Campbell, even have the guts to show his face. He is such a barefaced liar and he's so arrogant he doesn't even bother to try and dress it up. Look at what they said prior to the election. The silence from the opposition parties is truly pathetic. What other ammunition do they need??

So extra costs for everyone, although I believe that businesses can offset all of HST costs, rather than just GST as at present.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC - GST/PST to HST

Some extra costs for consumers, for sure, but significant savings in tax and reduced administration for business. Also will allow the government to get rid of a whole department.

I see that ON is also moving to an HST.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:25 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Also will allow the government to get rid of a whole department.

In the private world that could/would mean a reduction in workforce and cost savings. Highly unlikely in the public arena.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
www.vancouversun.com/business/fp/harmonize+sales+cent+next+July/1820717/story.html

How can Premier Campbell, even have the guts to show his face. He is such a barefaced liar and he's so arrogant he doesn't even bother to try and dress it up. Look at what they said prior to the election. The silence from the opposition parties is truly pathetic. What other ammunition do they need??

So extra costs for everyone, although I believe that businesses can offset all of HST costs, rather than just GST as at present.
Best thing that could happen for business, which is ultimately what drives the provincial economy. Makes life so much easier. The impact on consumers is going to be there, but minimal for most.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:12 pm
Is it that time already

Tony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Best thing that could happen for business, which is ultimately what drives the provincial economy. Makes life so much easier. The impact on consumers is going to be there, but minimal for most.
A little off topic, when is the new A/c arriving..
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Some extra costs for consumers, for sure, but significant savings in tax and reduced administration for business
It would be nice if those got passed on to consumers but I expect it will be spun differently by businesses when the time comes.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Also will allow the government to get rid of a whole department.
Unlikely - when in history has the mechanism of the state ever got smaller (excluding revolutions and civil wars and the like)? Governments just get bigger and bigger - it's the only thing they are good at.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Blimey didn't realise that Brit Expats was the 'Campbell love in' place !! Most other boards (CBC etc) are full of angry comments.

1. Less cost for business, less administration/bureaucracy which can only be a good thing here.
2. Hardly agree, that the cost is minimal for most. That $50 dinner or $500k new house will now cost you 7% more. How is that going to stimulate consumer spending?
3. Campbell blatently lied and did a complete about turn. We're all used to politicians lying, but he is so damn smug about it too.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:49 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have to add the PST that's going to be incorporated into HST to my clients monthly bills. Currently I don't need to charge PST. Can't see they'll be too happy at a price hike.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 10:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey didn't realise that Brit Expats was the 'Campbell love in' place !! Most other boards (CBC etc) are full of angry comments.

1. Less cost for business, less administration/bureaucracy which can only be a good thing here. Agreed.

2. Hardly agree, that the cost is minimal for most. That $50 dinner or $500k new house will now cost you 7% more. Not necessarily so. Consumer goods are not priced at cost plus, but at what the market will bear. If someone thinks a house is worth $500,000 they will only pay $500,000. The builder might try and push it up by 7% but if no one will buy at that price they will have to absorb the cost themselves.

3. Campbell blatently lied and did a complete about turn. We're all used to politicians lying, but he is so damn smug about it too.

Economical with the truth regarding the projected deficit, but everybody knew that so had discounted it before they voted. I can't recall him making any promises about keeping the PST.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Its gonna hurt consumers, haircuts now will cost 7% more, currently exempt from PST, eating in a restaraunt same thing, 7% more.

I doubt companies will create jobs by this stunt, most will just pocket the savings.

It is possible to tax to the point people take their money elsewhere, consumer wise. Example is what I see as excessive taxes on airfare in Canada, I simply will not fly to/from any Canadian airport, I cross to BLI or SEA, not only are airfare cheaper due to more competition, there is less overall taxes.

That money could have stayed in Canada had prices been more competitive, but taxes raise the total to more then I am personally willing to spend.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 24th 2009 at 10:58 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:19 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Its gonna hurt consumers, haircuts now will cost 7% more, currently exempt from PST, eating in a restaraunt same thing, 7% more.

I doubt companies will create jobs by this stunt, most will just pocket the savings.

It is possible to tax to the point people take their money elsewhere, consumer wise. Example is what I see as excessive taxes on airfare in Canada, I simply will not fly to/from any Canadian airport, I cross to BLI or SEA, not only are airfare cheaper due to more competition, there is less overall taxes.

That money could have stayed in Canada had prices been more competitive, but taxes raise the total to more then I am personally willing to spend.
I agree. I find it way cheaper to drive down to Bellingham.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:24 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...717/story.html

I too think it is disgusting and the timing right after an election ....... However, I knew higher taxes were coming after the Olympics just assumed it would be property and income taxes not sales taxes.

Shocking
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

1. Less cost for business, less administration/bureaucracy which can only be a good thing here. Agreed.

2. Hardly agree, that the cost is minimal for most. That $50 dinner or $500k new house will now cost you 7% more. Not necessarily so. Consumer goods are not priced at cost plus, but at what the market will bear. If someone thinks a house is worth $500,000 they will only pay $500,000. The builder might try and push it up by 7% but if no one will buy at that price they will have to absorb the cost themselves.

Economical with the truth regarding the projected deficit, but everybody knew that so had discounted it before they voted. I can't recall him making any promises about keeping the PST.

----------------------------------------------------------------

2. Either way, either the business or the consumer will have to lump up $35k of extra tax.

3. Pants on fire !!: http://www.crfa.ca/news/bytopic/elec...ties_stand.htm
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dboy
I agree. I find it way cheaper to drive down to Bellingham.
And me too.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It is possible to tax to the point people take their money elsewhere ...
This is absolutely right. A clear example was the 90s when companies, jobs and people were leaving BC in droves as a result of the uncompetitive income tax rates.

If we agree that running a massive deficit is not desirable then there are only two options: raise taxes or reduce government spending. This move will do both in a modest way. It will also make BC an easier place to do business in. As the Aviator said above, it is business that creates jobs, which in turn creates wealth, which in turn creates tax revenue.

If tax increases are necessary then sales taxes have less of a dampening effect on economic activity than income taxes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.