Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC Budget Update

BC Budget Update

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:40 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default BC Budget Update

Well it seems that economic reality has caught up with the BC provincial government - cuts all round according to global bc news this evening.

I'm still making my mind up about whether they have got it right or not. Philosophically I am always going to prefer anything that makes government smaller - so I ask myself did they go far enough? Anyone got a more reasoned view?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Budget Update

I don't like government deficits - to me they just transfer the burden of taxation from us to our children. That said, if there ever is a time to run a deficit it is now.

I like the income tax cuts that balance the increased HST take. Transferring taxation from income to spending generally has a positive effect on economic growth. (Steven Harper, please take note.)

I also notice that the government are now saying there will a a provincially managed rebate to offset HST on domestic fuels. This had to happen and I am glad they announced it now, rather than letting it be dragged out later.

Is the budget enough? Listening to the commentators on the radio this morning there seems to be two opinions. (Economists disagreeing, whatever next?):

a) Hansen has been overly pessimistic.
b) He hasn't taken into account a double dip recession in the US if the US do not replace the stimulus spending once it runs out.

I'm inclined to side with a), but then I have never believed this is the end of the world order, or that the sky is about to fall.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think they said they would reduce the number of government employees by 1%. It is a very modest cut, especially as they won't need anyone to administer PST after July 1, 2010.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't like government deficits - to me they just transfer the burden of taxation from us to our children. That said, if there ever is a time to run a deficit it is now.

I like the income tax cuts that balance the increased HST take. Transferring taxation from income to spending generally has a positive effect on economic growth. (Steven Harper, please take note.)

I also notice that the government are now saying there will a a provincially managed rebate to offset HST on domestic fuels. This had to happen and I am glad they announced it now, rather than letting it be dragged out later.

Is the budget enough? Listening to the commentators on the radio this morning there seems to be two opinions. (Economists disagreeing, whatever next?):

a) Hansen has been overly pessimistic.
b) He hasn't taken into account a double dip recession in the US if the US do not replace the stimulus spending once it runs out.

I'm inclined to side with a), but then I have never believed this is the end of the world order, or that the sky is about to fall.
I was also pleased to see a HST rebate on domestic fuels. That was my biggest issue with the new tax.

As for your a/b, it's trite to say that the truth probably lies somewhere in between. But in this case I suspect it really does. My view is that the the worst *may* be over, but that doesn't mean it's suddenly going to get better. I think the central bankers have actually managed to prevent the total collapse of the system using some extraordinary monetary policy. However the cost has been huge, all that future productivity brought forward to today is going to cause any long term growth to be slow and drawn out. As you say - the next generation will have to pay one way or another.

Anyway, aside from that, I am more inclined to go with b) - although I don't think we will see a new world order - at least for a few years
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

lagerhoover will become famous soon enoughlagerhoover will become famous soon enough

you rich or what?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by lagerhoover
you rich or what?
No - I live on the street with tramps.

Edit: and that's a great third post btw
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

lagerhoover will become famous soon enoughlagerhoover will become famous soon enough

helping out with soup?

Butch - C'mon?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by lagerhoover
helping out with soup?

Butch - C'mon?
He's on holiday or something.