Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Banking or Finance Jobs - any advice? (PR obtained)

Banking or Finance Jobs - any advice? (PR obtained)

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:28 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banking or Finance Jobs - any advice? (PR obtained)

This is off-topic, but has anyone around here had experience with any recruitment companies that specialize in financial services and banking? My husband works in banking in the UK and is trying to find a job in Canada, but has been told that most of the jobs in his area tend to be posted internally so you have to either be with a recruiter or know people who know people. Any leads would be a huge help.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking or Finance Jobs - any advice?

I moved your post to a thread of it's own as you are more likely to get responses.

Where are you planning on moving to - or does that depend on the job?

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:27 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking or Finance Jobs - any advice? (PR obtained)

Thanks -- I posted in here a few days ago with no responses so didn't want to repost! (Site rules)

We are looking in Toronto, specifically in capital markets.

Thanks again
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Stanthorpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'd be very interested in other peoples responses as
a) I work in the financial industry as well &
b) we're seriously considering moving to Canada because things just seem to be going from bad to worse in the Eurozone & this is dragging everything down.

That said, some of the job hunting links that I've found by trawling through the internet over the last year or so include:

http://www.efinancialcareers-canada.com/
and
http://www.100kjobs.ca/

I hope that this helps; looking forward to other peoples responses too!

Regards & Good Luck!

S
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:52 pm
Concierge

Hi Stanthorpe,

Thanks for the links - hopefully they will be helpful! Have you been in contact with any of those recruiters so far, or encountered any that have given you any traction? I've otherwise just been googling around and my husband will be contacting some that I've uncovered online this week, so I'll let you know if we have any luck with any of those.

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Stanthorpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Hi Stanthorpe,

Thanks for the links - hopefully they will be helpful! Have you been in contact with any of those recruiters so far, or encountered any that have given you any traction? I've otherwise just been googling around and my husband will be contacting some that I've uncovered online this week, so I'll let you know if we have any luck with any of those.

Hi,

I have had some traction from those sites (efinancial careers in particular), in that I’ve had follow-up calls fairly rapidly (48 hours or so) – but nothing came of my applications, mainly because I’m fortunate enough that I can be picky & the results of the conversations have not made me want to take things further.

Even so, I look forward to any feedback that you might get and also any other resources you might unearth.

Regards

S
Old Apr 24th 2013, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to depress you but I came to Canada 11 years ago with over 25 years of banking experience- it took me 2 years to get back into banking (retail) and I have only in the last 2 years got back on track with my career. So many steps backwards rather than forwards-very depressing! Good Luck.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

I am also in Capital Markets, i sent you a private mail.
Old May 17th 2013, 9:33 am
Concierge

Thought I'd post a quick update, in case anyone was wondering, and you guys have always been helpful to me, so I'll pay it forward.

My husband has been in touch with a number of recruiters so far, some have been better than others. He's so far had good experiences with:
--Thorek/Scott
--Randstad
--Ludwig Financial
--The Finance Department
--Collins Recruit

Fingers crossed things continue to progress!