bank accounts

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bank accounts

Originally Posted by qjamesfloyd
A bit off topic, but do you have to have a Canadian bank account before you land in a joint name, my wife is Canadian, and has an RBC account, but it's only in her name, so, could we transfer our money we make on the sale of our house into her account, then open another account in a joint name when we land?
Why wouldn't you either make the existing account joint or open a new joint one now? I opened a joint account with the OH (a non-resident who has no SIN), the bank then junked mailed her to have a credit card and now she has a card and an account in her name alone.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:00 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by petesdragon
I e-mailed pc financial and they said that I have to be in canada to set up the account , so I was wondering if any one knew if I could use my sister in laws address in Canada to set up the account whilst still over here , cheers

Like I said, I opened a Canadian account with TD before leaving UK. faxed what they wanted - chq books cards were all waiting for me when I arrived at the branch . This was also before I had a SIN number
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:03 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCrocker
Like I said, I opened a Canadian account with TD before leaving UK. faxed what they wanted - chq books cards were all waiting for me when I arrived at the branch . This was also before I had a SIN number
My reference to SIN was only applicable to PC Finance. (btw there is, strictly speaking, no such thing as a SIN number. )
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
My reference to SIN was only applicable to PC Finance. (btw there is, strictly speaking, no such thing as a SIN number. )

Our accounts are with pcfinancial, they don't require a SIN though whether that's policy or just disorganization I don't know.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I think I gave them my SIN, not sure if it was asked for or not.

What I found strange about opening a current account and a savings account with them was the need for a credit check. I wasn't asking for credit of any kind. I assumed it was just standard blurb and that they actually only did checks on borrowers... but no, I got my Equifax report recently and there was my PC Financial check on it, they did do it.

This might not be a good thing for a new arrival?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I was unable to open a PC account until I had PR, (this was all more than 5 years ago), Not sure why they bother with the credit check, but they did, and it seemed to have some impact on cheque clearance times for us...cheques I put in clear faster (instantly) than those the wife puts in.

I think if they have one person with a SIN open an account, then they might not be as picky with the other...who knows.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:21 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
I believe you've just described TD's next marketing slogan:

"TD Canada Trust - Money Grabbing Bastards and proud of it."
I'll second that. I've always had accounts with both the TD, BoM and Scotia. My mortgage was with the TD as well. Over the past year I've moved everything out of the TD including my RRSPs (to Scotia) because they nickle and dimed me to death. I pay my line of credit in full every month, and no matter when I paid, they always managed to add a couple of cents to it afterwards. And sent me a bill for it.

I do all my banking online, and seldom go into a bank. But when I had to go into the BoM when I lost my bank card, I was surprised at how nice they were!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:59 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Our accounts are with pcfinancial, they don't require a SIN though whether that's policy or just disorganization I don't know.
Ah but did you have some other proof of residency? I think they wanted our SIN to show we had residency here (dont ask me why but OUR 'branch' insisted we had to be residents to have an account).
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

qjamesfloyd is on a distinguished road

I have found out we don't need to open an account at all before we move to Canada, so, we will just wait untill we move.