Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bad few days.......

Bad few days.......

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 9:15 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by donglemouse
As someone else mentioned the calling cards seemed to be the cheapest way - you can get 1,000 minutes to the UK for $10

Check a couple of things with your pre paid long distance phone cards:

Make sure there is NO CONNECTION or SERVICE CHARGE!! I once paid $2.40 to leave a 10 second message

I use Eureka, they are not brillient but working in Vancouver I can use my work phone to dial the Vancouver number and then chat to my family/friends during my lunch hour

Clare

PS I never do get 800 mins for my card Oh, and they run out and charge $1 a month "admin" ....
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I use a phone called called GOLD, there is no connection fee and they charge 4c a minute to the UK. We have not found one better than that yet! I think they are available in BC only though. We get them in our local garage.

JJ
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 10:12 am
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

We used to use Primus, but still found it worked out cheaper to use phone cards. Liberty seems the best @ 2.3c per minute and low connection fee - perfect for those long calls.

Check out www.thephonecardstore.ca

Of course - if the people you speak to back in UK have a computer and a decent broadband connection, why pay to speak to them at all?
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by simonhouse
Of course - if the people you speak to back in UK have a computer and a decent broadband connection, why pay to speak to them at all?
What software do you need for this?
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:11 pm
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
What software do you need for this?
You could try Skype - http://www.skype.com/. I've had successful conversations with this, and the quality varies from average to excellent. You'll need a headset for best results, but Radioshack sell them cheap.

There is alot of stuff out there - its just a case of finding software that works well for you and your friends/family back in the UK. Even Yahoo Messenger is improving it's voice features.

Finally, if you like to get your hands dirty, you could read up on VOCAL - http://www.vovida.org/