Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Awning or Snow removal?

Awning or Snow removal?

Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:38 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Awning or Snow removal?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I thought those were a guide for edges and things for everyone. Are they really just for contractors?
You're talking about different sticks. The ones we are referring to are the contractors' own sticks. They make it much easier for the plow guys to identify which houses have contracts and with whom.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:39 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canada2006
We've been quoted around $240 for the season payable in two instalments. They pass by at the latest for 6.30am. $400 seems a lot.
We gave MIL a contract for Xmas a couple of years ago. $225, I think.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:43 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
You're talking about different sticks. The ones we are referring to are the contractors' own sticks. They make it much easier for the plow guys to identify which houses have contracts and with whom.
That's what we figured out too. Handily they have a phone number on the side to call

There always seems to be about two companies servicing one area. It was a bit of a shock to see the sticks - suddenly thought "Ah, winter's almost here!"
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: From West Yorkshire to Ontario. Now enjoying life in Saskatchewan
Manson will become famous soon enough

We have a big driveway. So when the snow starts we just clear the bottom (enough to park the car) and then just clear a walking path to the door.
Lucky for us our neighbor spent most of last year in Ottawa ( his daughter had just given birth to twins) so he gave us his snowblower to use everytime he went.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:51 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotteW
I get the kids to clear mine.... amazing what they will do for money
The people in this thread are not discussing Calgary snow.

They're discussing this type of snow:
http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~dbehm/newPics.htm - Scroll down till you see the picture of the truck with snow on either side of it.

http://www.itscanada.ca/newsletters/.../April2006.htm - Scroll down till you see the photo of the excavators digging up the snow.
That's the kind of snow that people in Central and Eastern Canada get.

Iaink (in Ontario) once posted a photo of his car buried in snow, but I haven't found the thread.
x
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:58 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

Iaink (in Ontario) once posted a photo of his car buried in snow, but I haven't found the thread.
x
There was the van in the work parking lot...

That was burried by the plows though.

This is more typical some winter days after work...

My cars behind the red one...I think

This was after one of the overnight dumps last winter...

Last edited by iaink; Oct 30th 2008 at 8:02 am.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:01 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
That's the kind of snow that people in Central and Eastern Canada get.
Oh yes.....

Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canada2006
That's what we figured out too. Handily they have a phone number on the side to call

There always seems to be about two companies servicing one area. It was a bit of a shock to see the sticks - suddenly thought "Ah, winter's almost here!"
I haven't seen these sticks at all. Maybe I don't live in a rich enough neighbourhood. We still haven't decided on a snowthrower or not, but as one car is at the menders it's looking unlikely we will get one.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

We are not allowed awnings here although next door Dorval residents are. Seen the sticks going up all around in the last week or so, not that we have them- Just bought hubby a nice new snow shovel at costco - why would we need a contractor to do the job?!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:10 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Last year, I'd not long arrived in Calgary and was staying in an apartment downtown in the time before my family came out. I remember being appalled that apartment blocks had contractors using snowblowers at 5.45am(!) for what amounted to a dusting of snow. It was ridiculous. A couple of deep breaths would have blown it away, but they had to wake up the whole block...
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:43 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

jeez !! please tell me NS isnt as bad as that !(i read somewhere it didnt have as much snow !!) otherwise i am heading to calgary again , lol