Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Awning or Snow removal?

Wikiposts

Awning or Snow removal?

Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:50 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Awning or Snow removal?

I was wondering what the pros and cons were of using a snow removal company versus just buying an awning (Tempos they call them here) for the car?

Is it worthwhile getting both?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:55 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Awning or Snow removal?

Originally Posted by Canada2006
I was wondering what the pros and cons were of using a snow removal company versus just buying an awning (Tempos they call them here) for the car?

Is it worthwhile getting both?
How big is your driveway?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:58 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
How big is your driveway?
It's a double drive wide and you can just fit two cars deep.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Be carefull. Awnings have been known to collapse under the weight of the snow. Last year was particularly bad.

They just are not designed for snow loading. People have actually been killed and injured.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...6746d0&k=16161

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...rcollapse.html

Last edited by iaink; Oct 30th 2008 at 7:06 am.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:01 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thats not a lot. If you cant just shovel it yourself get a snowblower?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:05 am

Sounds like mine and most of the others in my neighbourhood. I can only think of one place that had an awning last winter and I'm not aware of any house that uses a contractor. What does that tell you?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:13 am
C'est correck

Sounds like mine and most of the others in my neighbourhood. I can only think of one place that had an awning last winter and I'm not aware of any house that uses a contractor. What does that tell you?
It's interesting that not many people in your neighbourhood have snow removal. A rough guess looking at all the sticks in the ground, about 60% of the houses in our new neighbourhood have contracted out for snow removal. A few, and it's relatively few, have awnings. A friend swears by hers.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats not a lot. If you cant just shovel it yourself get a snowblower?

I get the kids to clear mine.... amazing what they will do for money
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:20 am
C'est correck

Originally Posted by LotteW
I just can't see that happening A three year old and a one year old.

Maybe in a few years, but I'm not sure they'll get up at 6am to clear the car before going to work
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:26 am

It's interesting that not many people in your neighbourhood have snow removal. A rough guess looking at all the sticks in the ground, about 60% of the houses in our new neighbourhood have contracted out for snow removal. A few, and it's relatively few, have awnings. A friend swears by hers.
I'm not sure why it is, either. We get lots of snow and it's hardly a poor neighbourhood. MIL and SIL live in St Hubert. Up there, every other house seems to have sticks or a shelter.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by LotteW
I get the neighbours to do mine. Amazing what they'll do for duty free cognac, fresh fruit & veg and surplus furniture/building materials.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:29 am
C'est correck

I'm not sure why it is, either. We get lots of snow and it's hardly a poor neighbourhood. MIL and SIL live in St Hubert. Up there, every other house seems to have sticks or a shelter.
Maybe there are no contracters serving the area? As there are no contractors, no one takes one and because no one takes one, there are no contractors! There's an opportunity there...
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A rough guess looking at all the sticks in the ground, about 60% of the houses in our new neighbourhood have contracted out for snow removal.
I thought those were a guide for edges and things for everyone. Are they really just for contractors?

We've been here for three winters now. With some help from the kids I have managed with shovels/pushers on all but one occasion, when I paid $46 to have the whole driveway cleared. That was with last winter's ridiculous snowfalls, one after the other.

I don't drive but I always clear an area for a vehicle to park and a pathway to the garage so I can get my bike out. I still cycle in the winter.

I'm amazed at the 'contractor rate' I see advertised. The 'one-off' $25 for an area around a car becomes $400 seasonally. That's the equivalent of 16 clearances before you get your money's worth. It doesn't really seem worth it unless it gets you priority and you absolutely must have that priority.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:36 am

Maybe there are no contracters serving the area? As there are no contractors, no one takes one and because no one takes one, there are no contractors! There's an opportunity there...
Some houses have the sticks, so there are contractors. It's just that not many houses have the sticks.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:38 am
C'est correck

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I thought those were a guide for edges and things for everyone. Are they really just for contractors?

We've been here for three winters now. With some help from the kids I have managed with shovels/pushers on all but one occasion, when I paid $46 to have the whole driveway cleared. That was with last winter's ridiculous snowfalls, one after the other.

I don't drive but I always clear an area for a vehicle to park and a pathway to the garage so I can get my bike out. I still cycle in the winter.

I'm amazed at the 'contractor rate' I see advertised. The 'one-off' $25 for an area around a car becomes $400 seasonally. That's the equivalent of 16 clearances before you get your money's worth. It doesn't really seem worth it unless it gets you priority and you absolutely must have that priority.
We've been quoted around $240 for the season payable in two instalments. They pass by at the latest for 6.30am. $400 seems a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.