Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arriving without a return ticket??

Arriving without a return ticket??

Old Apr 28th 2011, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving without a return ticket??

Originally Posted by Neidpath
When I was actually flying here to move ( so had a one way flight) I had to show my PR visa.
Yeah, I flew out on Air Transat when I landed and they wanted to see the PR visa before I checked in.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:40 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm - when we came over in Dec 2008, my parents came too and they just booked a one way as they werent sure how long they would stay.

They had no problems at customs or even when boarding in the uk . At customs in Canada they just asked why it was a one way ticket and my parents explained - they said if it was a problem they would buy a return there and then for a few weeks time - nope no problem . . . .thru you go .
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew out with my husband, who is Canadian but returning to from the UK after 17 years, and neither of us had return tickets and I did not have a work permit or PR card. We got a slightly hostile reception from the Thomas Cook lady at Manchester airport who demanded what I was going to to when I got there. She was really rude to us and "had to get a supervisor" who then said that it was fine for us to fly without a return flight booked.

I went to immigration at Pearson airport and simply said, I know I can only stay for 6 months max and I know I can't work, claim benefits etc and the immigration officer was really nice, didn't care that I didn't have a return flight booked and stapled a nice 6 month tourist visa into my passport which clearly stated the date I had to leave by, and that was that. As long as you are honest with them and assure them that you don't intend to work or try anything on then they should be fine. To be fair, I was with a Canadian so maybe that made it easier, but you could just be travelling without definite plans and there is no law against that.

I subsequently got a work permit and all is OK now!