Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arriving after activating PR but before moving permanently

Arriving after activating PR but before moving permanently

Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving after activating PR but before moving permanently

Originally Posted by OidnGoo
** Update **

The wife arrived at YVR, got grilled a bit, talked at sternly and asked why she wasn't already here because she has to do two years out of five and then got let in.
No talk of a goods to follow or a personal effects form.

She just explained the situation. So I am free to sort the GTF. I'm sure it's just something else she now doesn't have to do.
Hope she brought her brolly
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:17 am
Just Joined

thedisappeared is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if the situation has changed but I landed in Vancouver via Toronto with my GTF list in hand. They did not even look it at. Gave me a number to call when I decided to import.

Fast forward 2 years. Already back in Toronto and wanted to organize importing possessions. Called CBSA and said I wanted to import my goods. I said I had a list of goods to import. They wanted to know if my list was stamped when I first landed. I said that immigration did not look at it. They replied that this is a common screw-up in Vancouver. They should've stamped it. So I got forgiven and invited down to CBSA to get it stamped.

Flew out, shipped my stuff. Flew in, declared GTF. Got pulled by CBSA. Asked to see my list. Explained the situation. They said because my list was already stamped then no problem otherwise would have been. Went to customs, cleared my stuff. Nothing to pay.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

rockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nice

Hi

Just a quick question in regards to this. We will be landing in October, the plan was that me & oh land in October & have a week or 2 job hunting etc. then we would come back in May for another holiday with our 3 small kids in order for them to land.

Would this cause a problem? Would we better all going in October & then the next time we come, come for good??

Thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rockspie
Hi

Just a quick question in regards to this. We will be landing in October, the plan was that me & oh land in October & have a week or 2 job hunting etc. then we would come back in May for another holiday with our 3 small kids in order for them to land.

Would this cause a problem? Would we better all going in October & then the next time we come, come for good??

Thanks
It depends when your medicals expire as you only have 12 months validity on them. You can come in Oct and clearly tell CBSA that you will not be taking up residence and will be arriving with goods at a later date as per that clause in the D Memorandum D2-2-1

1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00, “settler” means any person who enters Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for a period of not less than 12 months,
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

rockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It depends when your medicals expire as you only have 12 months validity on them. You can come in Oct and clearly tell CBSA that you will not be taking up residence and will be arriving with goods at a later date as per that clause in the D Memorandum D2-2-1

1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00, “settler” means any person who enters Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for a period of not less than 12 months,
Our medicals expire in may hence us bring the kids back then before it expires. If I tell them in October that we are not taking up residence, could I tell them on our May visit that we are not taking up residence on that trip either or would it cause problems & they expect us to be staying on our next visit after landing ??

Is there a limit on how many times we can enter Canada after landing but before settling?

Thank you
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rockspie
Our medicals expire in may hence us bring the kids back then before it expires. If I tell them in October that we are not taking up residence, could I tell them on our May visit that we are not taking up residence on that trip either or would it cause problems & they expect us to be staying on our next visit after landing ??

Is there a limit on how many times we can enter Canada after landing but before settling?

Thank you
No, there is no limit. Just the 2 years out of 5 rule after "landing"