Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arriving after activating PR but before moving permanently

Arriving after activating PR but before moving permanently

Old Jul 15th 2012, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

OidnGoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arriving after activating PR but before moving permanently

We've found ourselves in a situation and are looking for a bit of clarification if anyone has been through the same experience.

Last year we landed and activated our PR cards.
Now we've sold our house and need to be out in 8 weeks. Having seen the perfect house in the perfect location for us I have made arrangements for my wife to fly out to view and maybe make them an offer.

She will only be going out for a week and then at the end of September we will both go out together.
Questions is, when we activated PR at YVR last year the immigration officer wasn't interested in looking at the goods to follow list.
Everything that I had read indicated that we didn't need the GTF list until we landed for good.
Well, technically the wife isn't landing for good, just to view the house and the GTF list will be done by the removal firm and so we can hand it in September.

Can anyone offer anything up? Will she be asked for the list when she returns next week?

Thanks.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 6:39 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving after activating PR but before moving permanently

I doubt it, but if she is all she has to do is tell Customs the truth.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:44 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

We had the same thing happen. when we landed permanently is when customs dealt with the goods to follow list
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the re-assurance.

She's bricking it enough as it is going to buy a house on her own let alone having to deal with this too.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:03 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

JonboyE's advice is good.

Re the house:

The housing market has really slowed down here lately; so your missus shouldn't feel under pressure to make an offer.

Because things aren't moving there's no need to make an offer without subjects either, so do your due diligence. Try to avoid asking your realtor (if you are using one) to recommend inspection companies as they can't be trusted - if you can't go by word of mouth then check on the internet (at homestars for instance).
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:17 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Offer at least 10%+ below asking to factor in the drop in value
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Sound advice, thanks.

I know the property has been for sale for 6ish months so i'm looking to get at least 40k off so i think I'll take your advice and hit it low.
My wife is pretty formidable round the negotiating table. Managed to get our sale price negotiated up. Good girl!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I will give you an answer that will hopefully assist you.

1. Get your OH to tell Customs on arrival that she is making her landing but will be returning to the UK in about 3 weeks and she will supply a GTF list later on. Caveat the officer could enforce this bit

11. A Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document, will be completed to list all the personal effects being imported, as well as those that will follow at a later date. Even if there are no goods being imported, a Form B4 must be completed at the first point of entry in Canada, listing any or all goods that will be arriving at a later date. For further clarification, read pragraphs 17, 18 and 19.
If he/she says OK then fine if not then read further down.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf

You can also read this link in an easier format.

My other piece of advice is have a list prepared just in case the BSO does not use common sense of items you definitely know you are bringing.
The list can always be added to (within reason) prior to arriving.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5113-eng.html
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I will give you an answer that will hopefully assist you.

1. Get your OH to tell Customs on arrival that she is making her landing but will be returning to the UK in about 3 weeks and she will supply a GTF list later on. Caveat the officer could enforce this bit
They already "landed" last year.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
They already "landed" last year.
So based on that they are now at the mercy of a lobotomised BSO who working for the Man and has no free thinking thoughts or the ability to use common sense. He/she can demand payment of taxes on those goods as they were not declared when they both landed or they may just overlook that fact and accept the list when produced at a later date.
OP please keep us updated on the final result and what happened.
Did you get the CBSA robot or a common sense human being?

When you arrive, even if you have no goods with you at the time, you must give your list of goods to the border services officer at your first point of arrival in Canada. Based on the list of goods you submit, the officer will complete a Form B4 (PDF, 202 KB), Personal Effects Accounting Document, assign a file number to it and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of this form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive. Goods to follow may be subject to import restrictions before you can import them.

And yes even I make mistakes eg by not reading that they had both landed lol.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The OP may wish to read this http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf as it is not in accordance with what FL is saying.

According to the Memorandum you are only required to submit a goods accompanying and goods to follow list when you first arrive in Canada as a settler - that is someone who is arriving with the intention of living here or at least 12 months (amongst other definitions). Someone arriving for a temporary visit is not a settler.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The OP may wish to read this http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf as it is not in accordance with what FL is saying.

According to the Memorandum you are only required to submit a goods accompanying and goods to follow list when you first arrive in Canada as a settler - that is someone who is arriving with the intention of living here or at least 12 months (amongst other definitions). Someone arriving for a temporary visit is not a settler.
Yes I saw that but elected not to comment on it as that is often misinterpreted. When a person makes a landing they have effectively become a PR of Canada. It appears that they landed together they produced no GTF. I agree that if they didnt establish a residence here then this should come into play.
Who are Considered Settlers?
1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.
In most cases UK residents do their landings at the Airports. If they dont tell the BSO they are not going to be staying for less than 12 months then it is accepted that they are becoming residents of Canada as a settler.
The goods then arrive at another Customs Office for clearance. They are asked for the B4 and the GTF they produced when they initially landed.
Now this is where the fun and games begin. The importer has to satisy the BSO that they didnt establish a residence and that they didnt live here.
If they cant then we have documentary evidence (COPR forms) that they landed on X date so now the arguing begins.
If Im dealing with a situation like this I make a notation on the B4 on 1st arrival that they are not establishing residence and have GTF but no list was presented as per the not establishing a residence clause.
My comment in post 10 is based on this publication but as we know people dont read all the info. This also states the 12 month rule but if they dont read it then they only see the supply a GTF on 1st arrival.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5113-eng.html

I agree the 12 month rule should be communicated in a better way and the GTF bit more clearer with something like no GTF is required if just landing and returning to your home country. BSOs should also be notifying the B4 copies as such.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jul 16th 2012 at 3:57 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the constructive comments and I'll let you all know how it concludes itself.

Here's how I would like to see it; So my wife travelling tomorrow for a week in country could therefore if required declare just her personal belongings. Thats her arriving and if pushed to the letter, 'settling' as she has already 'landed' on a previous visit.

So by the time that I arrive as a settler, our house will have been packed and the GTF put together by the removers for me to copy and put the values on.
I will then arrive, prior to my container and it will be me that presents the GTF. My wife is just saying that nothing belongs to her.

I think that should work?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OidnGoo
Thanks for all the constructive comments and I'll let you all know how it concludes itself.

Here's how I would like to see it; So my wife travelling tomorrow for a week in country could therefore if required declare just her personal belongings. Thats her arriving and if pushed to the letter, 'settling' as she has already 'landed' on a previous visit.

So by the time that I arrive as a settler, our house will have been packed and the GTF put together by the removers for me to copy and put the values on.
I will then arrive, prior to my container and it will be me that presents the GTF. My wife is just saying that nothing belongs to her.

I think that should work?
Yes it will. Just get your wife to tell CBSA that you both landed but did not establish a residence as per the 12 month rule. The GTF will be submitted when you both take up residence in a few months.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

** Update **

The wife arrived at YVR, got grilled a bit, talked at sternly and asked why she wasn't already here because she has to do two years out of five and then got let in.
No talk of a goods to follow or a personal effects form.

She just explained the situation. So I am free to sort the GTF. I'm sure it's just something else she now doesn't have to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.