Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arrival testing mandated again

Arrival testing mandated again

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrival testing mandated again

Originally Posted by Gozit
+1

That's the problem. No one knows.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...gZa0xi_gFnKl_A
I've seen all these reports about endless queues while arriving in Canada at Pearson airport. These queues are due to the added bureaucracy like checking whatever one uploads on the Arrive Canada app. I think these queues pose an extra risk of catching the virus, and it would even be worse, if there was additional testing and additional queues after the passport checks. These "Covid 19 document checking bottleneck queues" are the real danger while traveling.

I think it's safer to let vaccinated Canadians travel, without bureaucracy, or any testing, just the passport and the QR code as proof of vaccination, and that's it.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:00 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I've seen all these reports about endless queues while arriving in Canada at Pearson airport. These queues are due to the added bureaucracy like checking whatever one uploads on the Arrive Canada app. I think these queues pose an extra risk of catching the virus, and it would even be worse, if there was additional testing and additional queues after the passport checks. These "Covid 19 document checking bottleneck queues" are the real danger while traveling.

I think it's safer to let vaccinated Canadians travel, without bureaucracy, or any testing, just the passport and the QR code as proof of vaccination, and that's it.
I passed through Pearson yesterday. I didn’t find it any more bureaucratic than normal. I had a mask on. I kept my distance. Checking my ArriveCAN app receipt took less than a second.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I passed through Pearson yesterday. I didn’t find it any more bureaucratic than normal. I had a mask on. I kept my distance. Checking my ArriveCAN app receipt took less than a second.
Maybe those queues are only at the weekend. I also recall passengers having to wait on the plane, waiting to deplane for more than one hour. I'd say it's wise to book flights for during the week.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Ditto for me coming through pearson in July and last month.

I didn't find the process bureaucratic at all. With this new mandatory 1-3 day quarantine that may change things. Though, I guess this is no different to the policy the UK has had in place for many months.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 9:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

See https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...6JNzCiwIz-fxKY

Now arrival testing is mandatory again ... except this time you have to quarantine for 24-72 hours until you receive negative results, kind of like UK I guess.

It says arrivals from US by air or land will not have this restriction

Wonder if this 24-72 hour quarantine can be avoided by

1) Having a connecting flight in the US (unlikely)

or

2) Flying into a US airport and driving across to Canada

I see the latter being an option, since there is a lack of arrival testing infrastructure at the land border AFAIK. The only way I see this not working is if they put something in there about being anywhere other then the US during the last 14 days.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...f-concern.html
Am I missing something? As far as I could see it only impacts anyone who has been in these countries in the preceding 14 days... if you haven't it doesn't affect you.,,or is there another link somewhere?

• Botswana
  • Egypt;
  • Eswatini;
  • Lesotho;
  • Malawi;
  • Mozambique;
  • Namibia;
  • Nigeria;
  • South Africa; and
  • Zimbabwe.
Canadian citizens, permanent residents and people with status under the Indian Act, regardless of their vaccination status or having had a previous history of testing positive for COVID-19, who have been in any of these 10 countries in the previous 14 days, will be subject to enhanced pre-entry and arrival testing, screening, and quarantine measures.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...f-concern.html
Am I missing something? As far as I could see it only impacts anyone who has been in these countries in the preceding 14 days... if you haven't it doesn't affect you.,,or is there another link somewhere?
I am afraid, you are missing something. The thread here concerns the announced planned changes to the already existing travel bans from various countries in southern Africa.

The planned changes would include testing for Covid 19 upon arrival, and subsequent home isolation ( possibly 1 to 2 days ? ) until a negative test result is received, and that would include from every country except the US not just a dedicated list of countries from southern Africa.

To date there is no real plan how this is going to be implemented. To date there is also no understanding how this will play in practical life? Is one able to fly from Europe transit in the US to got to Canada and avoid this? Is also one able to fly into Canada, and change flights for any domestic flight within Canada on the same day? And then there is the question of space and capacity at various Canadian airports for testing.

So far the testing upon arrival at Canadian airports was more something at random ( as far as I know) or maybe from certain countries, not from every country.

Personally I think this added regulation has no benefit, - the Omicron variant is already within Canada and spreading.

Canada would also be wise to consider mandatory vaccination for everyone as well as the 3rd booster shot, except medical reasons, if no. Various countries in Europe have been offering the booster shot to all age cohorts way sooner, like one month ago.

A vaccination rate of 97% and above is way more effective than new travel rules and travel restrictions. ( I am aware that your opinion might differ )

The current knowledge is that Moderna and Pfizer/Biontech might need adjustment, but both are still protecting against all variants, including Omicron, as it's also about your T cells.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Dec 4th 2021 at 2:16 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

The government announced on Tuesday that arrival testing would be mandatory again. Today, Sunday, there is still no start date for this arrival testing. What a farce, so much for "We are taking quick action at our borders to mitigate travel related importations of the Omicron variant,". What they should have done instead is mandated that pre-departure tests are only valid of taken within 48 hours or departure (instead of current 72 hours).
Old Dec 6th 2021, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
The government announced on Tuesday that arrival testing would be mandatory again. Today, Sunday, there is still no start date for this arrival testing. What a farce, so much for "We are taking quick action at our borders to mitigate travel related importations of the Omicron variant,". What they should have done instead is mandated that pre-departure tests are only valid of taken within 48 hours or departure (instead of current 72 hours).
That would surely be much less disruptive then these measures that have been announced, and not a huge inconvenience as in every other country besides Canada it is fairly easy to get a rapid molecular (PCR/NAAT/LAMP) test with a quick turnaround.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming the travel Antigen test from shoppers drug mart is still acceptable for pre-departure for UK? I can’t remember the previous requirements, and as usual different terms are being used. Some pages say antigen, some say lateral flow, some say antigen lateral flow, some say lateral flow antigen.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Assuming the travel Antigen test from shoppers drug mart is still acceptable for pre-departure for UK? I can’t remember the previous requirements, and as usual different terms are being used. Some pages say antigen, some say lateral flow, some say antigen lateral flow, some say lateral flow antigen.
Lateral flow = UK term for antigen test. You're good to go with the shoppers test.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Lateral flow = UK term for antigen test. You're good to go with the shoppers test.
ok great thanks, that’s what I was hoping was still the case!
Old Dec 7th 2021, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

This link should give us a bit of an idea:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arr...iner-1.6272919

The main facts are:

- the testing upon arrival is for free
- connecting flights are permitted
- home isolation for a couple of days

Quarantine only from certain counties.

The question is only how long this is the case, - it's fairly easy to put the UK up on that list of countries, or Ireland or any other EU country, for that matter.
It certainly won't stop the spread of Omicron.

Old Dec 7th 2021, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
This link should give us a bit of an idea:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arr...iner-1.6272919

The main facts are:

- the testing upon arrival is for free
- connecting flights are permitted
- home isolation for a couple of days

Quarantine only from certain counties.

The question is only how long this is the case, - it's fairly easy to put the UK up on that list of countries, or Ireland or any other EU country, for that matter.
It certainly won't stop the spread of Omicron.
The airports have a good point about take home swab kits… I was on one of the first flights earlier this year when they first tested at the airport on arrival, it was an absolute disaster. People crammed in a small space, and those who hadn’t booked ahead were getting theirs completed before those who had done what they were told by registering before arriving.

it’s beginning to sound like omicron is more infectious so cramming people in these spaces is for certain no longer viable, if they’re serious about these travel restrictions they need to allow take home swab kits.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
The airports have a good point about take home swab kits… I was on one of the first flights earlier this year when they first tested at the airport on arrival, it was an absolute disaster. People crammed in a small space, and those who hadn’t booked ahead were getting theirs completed before those who had done what they were told by registering before arriving.

it’s beginning to sound like omicron is more infectious so cramming people in these spaces is for certain no longer viable, if they’re serious about these travel restrictions they need to allow take home swab kits.
Omicron will dominate in the UK and also in Canada, as well as every other country, testing and travel restrictions or not. I know that's a bit hard to get into the minds of people and even worse getting into the minds of politicians who want to be re-elected ( Ford in Ontario ).

The only solid answer against omicron is vaccination, masks and hand washing as often as possible. I'd rather they should make 3 shots a requirement to travel as you please, than 2 shots and endless testing, packed queues at airports and senseless forms and damage to the economy. Also high infection rates don't mean much, if one is vaccinated and the symptoms are mild.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

TD199113 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if there are any exemptions to on-arrival testing e.g. having had covid in past 90 days?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.