Reload this Page >

Arrival in Canada - Plz share any experiences with Immigration Officials

Arrival in Canada - Plz share any experiences with Immigration Officials

Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Arrival in Canada - Plz share any experiences with Immigration Officials

Hi all,

I was wondering if those who have already landed in Canada could please kindly share their experiences with immigration when you actually arrive into Canada, ie. what you need with you; what type of questions they ask; how long this takes?

Also, if you have any tips on how to make this as smooth as possible, (or any helpful tips!) this would be gratefully received.

FINANCES: Could someone please confirm the following:
- My understanding is that as I applied via the Skilled Worker Programme, I will need to show proof of funds (CAN$10,833). I trust I don't actually have to show this in liquid/cash funds to them!?!!
- Also, if I carry over CAN$10,000 I will need to declare this.

I leave UK for Vancouver next week! Excited to be on the other side of the pond!! (it has been a long long journey!)

Many thanx!
S
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:21 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrival in Canada - Plz share any experiences with Immigration Officials

You need to show proof of funds. A recent bank statement will do just fine.

You must declare any amount of cash or transferable securities over $10,000. It is no problem - you just have to declare it.

The landing procedure is very simple. You tell the immigration officer at passport control that you are landing and wish to activate your PR. They direct you to a side office where you will be processed by another officer. It is all very simple, there are no trick questions. All the work has been done by CIC so all they really need to do is confirm that you are the person that PR was issued for.

Have a list of goods accompanying and goods to follow ready if they want to see it. Also have an address they can send your PR card to.

Expect a few "welcome to Canada"s and be on your way. If there is not a line up it only takes 15 minutes.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of
Default Re: Arrival in Canada - Plz share any experiences with Immigration Officials

If you're coming into Vancouver International at a sensible time of the day, watch out for an officer on the right at the bottom of the stairs, they will direct you around the side without having to queue up at the normal passport control booths.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds advice above; there's nothing to be concerned about - they do this all day after all.

- photocopies of fund statements are fine
- definitely have your goods to follow list with you
- have a forwarding Canadian address ready
- wear a smile

Despite heading for Vancouver we landed in Calgary (to see friends) and after a modest wait (maybe half an hour) behind other new arrivals breezed through with little issue, all very efficient and friendly.

Congrats on your move and good luck!